DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

iPod Hardwire Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 09:13 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only thing you can control is the volume (with the steering wheel buttons or control on dash).
In addition, it can forward or rewind.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:37 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by my530i' post='216189' date='Dec 27 2005, 10:13 PM
the only thing you can control is the volume (with the steering wheel buttons or control on dash).
In addition, it can forward or rewind.
Since the aux input is a simple audio input, the only thing you can control through the car is the volume. The only way to control the iPod's functions (forward, rewind, next song, etc.) is with the iPod or a remote like the Griffin I have.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:23 AM
Members

Stream, is the Aux-input happy with a line input rather than an amplified signal? I assumed that as it was probably meant for devices that only had a headphone jack, BMW was expecting an amplified signal?

I am using the Belkin at the moment and the sound quality is not good, nor is the volume. If I don't need an inline amplifier I'll take it out!! (Won't the volume go down even more?)

Incidentally, I think Dension are doing some kit that uses their cradle but gives an aux output to plug straight into the aux input!
Old 01-10-2006, 07:26 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by jeremy' post='222018' date='Jan 10 2006, 05:23 AM
Stream, is the Aux-input happy with a line input rather than an amplified signal? I assumed that as it was probably meant for devices that only had a headphone jack, BMW was expecting an amplified signal?

I am using the Belkin at the moment and the sound quality is not good, nor is the volume. If I don't need an inline amplifier I'll take it out!! (Won't the volume go down even more?)

Incidentally, I think Dension are doing some kit that uses their cradle but gives an aux output to plug straight into the aux input!
My aux input seems happy! Works great--sound quality and volume are great. The volume is slightly lower when using the aux input than, say, the CD, but not by much.

I originally had the Belkin and the sound quality was bad so I returned it and got the Monster. Do you have the volume wheel on the Belkin on max?
Old 01-13-2006, 04:14 AM
Members

I did have the voulme on mid, then put it to max (to get more volume) and the quality was even worse and serious electronic interference so I turned it down to mid again.

I guess the line input detects the voltage and adjusts accordingly! I think I'll get the monster lead! Or see whether the Dension option is available yet
Old 02-16-2006, 07:16 AM
Members

help,

i cannot seem to post my picture. But there is a wire just at the bottom of the right yellow circle in the above picture...it has a small black box about 1.5 x.5x.5 cm without a wire connection to it...what is this for?

after going through this set up the ipod works great but my back seat heater on the right does not work?

any help would be appreciated!

thanks
Attached Thumbnails iPod Hardwire Install-bmwwire.jpg  
Old 02-16-2006, 07:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by iiwii' post='241191' date='Feb 16 2006, 08:16 AM
help,

i cannot seem to post my picture. But there is a wire just at the bottom of the right yellow circle in the above picture...it has a small black box about 1.5 x.5x.5 cm without a wire connection to it...what is this for?

after going through this set up the ipod works great but my back seat heater on the right does not work?

any help would be appreciated!

thanks
That wire is for when you install a cell phone cradle--it's for the antenna connection--see attached doc:
Phone_cradle_install.pdf

For the seat heater, you may have caused the wires that connect to the switch in that panel to come loose--try reconnecting them.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:52 AM
Members

thanks for the prompt reply!!!
hey...any thoughts on the heated seats?
Old 02-16-2006, 07:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by iiwii' post='241212' date='Feb 16 2006, 08:52 AM
thanks for the prompt reply!!!
hey...any thoughts on the heated seats?
My pleasure.

On the seats, as I said above, you may have caused the wires that connect to the switch in that panel to come loose--have you tried reconnecting them?
Old 02-16-2006, 08:23 AM
Members

Yes, i did push in the housing for the heated seat buttons...no change...would you have any schematics on the housing for the heated seats? I am kind of afraid to disconnect anything. :'(

thanks again!

Quick Reply: iPod Hardwire Install