DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

I-Drive Screen went blank

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 04:32 PM
jgt
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by BIM530I
Hi Pjinca,

Thanks for the info.

It's amazing how much money you can save when you have uninterupted time to do a little research!

I went to www.realoem.com, enter my VIN, search for the parts numbers and look them up for pricings at www.getbmwparts.com.

The dealer wants to charge me $2,860 for parts and labor.

Check out the results I found:
Prices from www.getbmwparts.com: $680.85 CCC http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=214672$159.99 Battery http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=214672$21.16 IBS http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=214672Total Cost with Tax = $840.45

I understand everyone should get paid for their work. However, almost $2,000 for labor cost makes me want to go into the same business and open a shop! :-)
Just a heads up they will not ship batteries. They are considered hazardous materials.
Are you sure that's the price of the IBS sensor?
Last time I checked the IBS is now integrated into the negative battery cable and cost $173.49 at getbmwparts.com
Old 04-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver BMW 530iA, Sport & Premium Package, Active Steering, Anti-Roll-Suspension, Adaptive Headlight, Navigation, OEM M-Tech Kit, Authentic RD Trunk Spoiler, VIP Modular Wheels: 245/35/20; 275/30/20, OEM M Trunk Finisher.

I called Soley Bimmer today and spoke to Chad. He said he will install the following for $1,600 (included tax):

1. CCC = $850
2. Negative cable to battery = $216 I think the IBS is integrated with the negative cable.
3. IBS = $26
4. Battery, 850 Amps = $225
4. His labor cost (3 hrs?) = $315

I told him I was going to the dealer to pick up the parts and with my coupon, and can get 15% off on the battery and 10% on the other items. Anyways, so that he can make a little more money by buying the parts with his business license, I went ahead and let him take that route. Yeah, I know I can shop around and probably save a couple more hundred dollars or so.

I just noticed his website stated that first time customer gets 20% off. Should I mention that to him when I already verbally agreed to the term ($1,600)?

The BMW dealer already charged me $155(?) for the diagnostic test and advised on what needed to be replaced, installed and programmed. For the price that I am willing to pay, I really hope this Soley Bimmer place is as trust worthy and experienced like some people said.

I will take the car to the shop tomorrow and Chad said he can get it done for me within the time frame for the aforementioned labor cost. Wish me luck, guys!

Pjinca, if you are out there, do you know what is Soley Bimmer's warranty on parts and labor? If BMW parts of two year warranty and I have Soley installed it, will I stilled be covered?
I will post my review about this shop soon.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver BMW 530iA, Sport & Premium Package, Active Steering, Anti-Roll-Suspension, Adaptive Headlight, Navigation, OEM M-Tech Kit, Authentic RD Trunk Spoiler, VIP Modular Wheels: 245/35/20; 275/30/20, OEM M Trunk Finisher.

Okay, I finally got my CCC, battery, negative cable and IBS replaced. The installations was fast and easy! However, it took about six hours to upgrade the software to get the CCC to work. They had to hook the fiber optic cable to another slot behind the glove compartment to get the job done. Watching the software updating was like watching paint dry!

Anyways, everything works but my voice command unit and the navigation system; they forgot to take out the DVD from the old unit and Chad said as soon as they get it back next week, they will call me. I think the navigation is not working because the disc is not in it.

Can anyone tell me whether the voice command functionality also requires the navigation disc to work???? Or do they just need to program it separately?

As for my experience with their services, I am very comfortable letting them work on my car. Hopefully, when they get the DVD back, my voice command and navigation systems will work like they should.

I will keep you guys posted as soon as I get my Navigation disc back next week.

Good luck to everyone who have similar problem!
Old 09-13-2014, 07:26 AM
New Members

My Ride: 545I Sport X5
Model Year: 2007 2003
Engine: 4,4

After all these years of problems with CCC, mine finally went, but no updates in years on this and other forums? Surely the problem is common, so has anyone actuallly taken unit to an electronics repair center, after all, electronics are electronics, and whoever is so called rebuilding these units must know which component is failing. Probably just a diode, capacitor or rectifier which are the most common failures in all electronics, especially when someone points to heat as the issue. Mine went out on very hot day of summer, so makes me wonder, is it really a simple fix which we are all getting hosed on.

Any updates would be appreciated as I concider my options. Where is CCC located, is it the unit in trunk on e60 on left, the two metal modules, one larger than other, anyone know. I am more into electronics than mechanics, but if this is the CCC location, pretty easy to pull out and test bed, any schematics online anyone know about?

Thanks,
Old 10-01-2014, 02:09 PM
Bmv
New Members

My Ride: 06 530xi

The CCC is located in the dash the volume and cd eject button is attached to it.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:29 AM
New Members

My Ride: 545I Sport X5
Model Year: 2007 2003
Engine: 4,4

After digging and digging, turns out my car does not have CCC, this is only if you have NAV, so having checked all the wiring diagrams, it turns out to be MPM located in trunk under tire. Although this design flaw has been learned the hard way for thousands who have had water in their trunks, mine had no water or sign of water, but module was still bad as I was not getting 12VDC out, but had it going into module. Turns out this controls power to iDrive, radio and cd unit, so hating to waste money by replacing the most expensive unit first, the radio or MASK as it is referred to, I narrowed it down to MPM first which is less costly solution. After much research, ended up spending almost $200. for new MPM and it solved problem. Just so others can save time and money, hope it helps. Also, as I have learned, relocate modules out of bottom of trunk to save you the same issues of blown module, most say put in side panel, but I put mine on top of foam insert well above low spot in trunk on top, not on bottom foam insert.

Thanks,
Old 12-02-2014, 01:30 PM
New Members

Does anybody have a contact on the programming? I also replaced my CCC yesterday and it needs programming. Thanks in Advance..