DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

I-Drive Screen went blank

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by BIM530I
Thanks, Pjinca!

I will definitely consider your great advice. I can use the savings for better use!
PLEASE LET IT NOT BE THE CCC!!!!
For me it was BOTH the CCC and the TCU that were bad, it's all good now though
Old 04-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver BMW 530iA, Sport & Premium Package, Active Steering, Anti-Roll-Suspension, Adaptive Headlight, Navigation, OEM M-Tech Kit, Authentic RD Trunk Spoiler, VIP Modular Wheels: 245/35/20; 275/30/20, OEM M Trunk Finisher.

PLEASE LET IT NOT BE THE CCC OR THE TCU.

Originally Posted by pjinca
For me it was BOTH the CCC and the TCU that were bad, it's all good now though
Old 04-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver BMW 530iA, Sport & Premium Package, Active Steering, Anti-Roll-Suspension, Adaptive Headlight, Navigation, OEM M-Tech Kit, Authentic RD Trunk Spoiler, VIP Modular Wheels: 245/35/20; 275/30/20, OEM M Trunk Finisher.

Hi Guys,

After leaving my car at their shop since last Wednesday, the Dealer finally called me back today with the results and recommendations. They recommend me to change the CCC, IBS and new battery. Total cost with parts and labor is $2,860. This includes 2 years warranty with unlimited mileage. I am the original owner and plan to keep this car for a least a couple more years. Is buying used parts worth it or should I buy new parts and have an INDY Shop install them? Anyone think the cost is too much and worth taking the risk of having non BMW technician mess with electrical parts on my car?

Also, to make my decision easier, does anyone have an idea of what a NEW CCC and IBS would cost? I checked getbmwparts.com and can't seem to find those parts in their website? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Daniel
Old 04-12-2011, 07:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BIM530I
Hi Guys,
After leaving my car at their shop since last Wednesday, the Dealer finally called me back today with the results and recommendations. They recommend me to change the CCC, IBS and new battery. Total cost with parts and labor is $2,860. This includes 2 years warranty with unlimited mileage. I am the original owner and plan to keep this car for a least a couple more years. Is buying used parts worth it or should I buy new parts and have an INDY Shop install them? Anyone think the cost is too much and worth taking the risk of having non BMW technician mess with electrical parts on my car?
Also, to make my decision easier, does anyone have an idea of what a NEW CCC and IBS would cost? I checked getbmwparts.com and can't seem to find those parts in their website? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance,
Daniel

As far as I know new CCC units are no longer made, getbmwparts.com should have remanufactured ones - they had one for my car for around $700. Contact member Evan@Tischer here for the parts if you want to go with new ones. Honestly, whether you go with new or used parts you'll get a warranty. As fo labor, definitely go with an indy shop, dealers are not called "stealerships" for no reason.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Members

Old 04-13-2011, 05:00 AM
Members

Hi Pjinca,

Thanks for the info.

It's amazing how much money you can save when you have uninterupted time to do a little research!

I went to www.realoem.com, enter my VIN, search for the parts numbers and look them up for pricings at www.getbmwparts.com.

The dealer wants to charge me $2,860 for parts and labor.

Check out the results I found:
Prices from www.getbmwparts.com: $680.85 CCC http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=214672$159.99 Battery http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=214672$21.16 IBS http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=214672Total Cost with Tax = $840.45

I understand everyone should get paid for their work. However, almost $2,000 for labor cost makes me want to go into the same business and open a shop! :-)

As far as I know new CCC units are no longer made, getbmwparts.com should have remanufactured ones - they had one for my car for around $700. Contact member Evan@Tischer here for the parts if you want to go with new ones. Honestly, whether you go with new or used parts you'll get a warranty. As fo labor, definitely go with an indy shop, dealers are not called "stealerships" for no reason.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:17 AM
Contributors

See what I mean? At Solely Bimmer (and I was quite happy with their work), it will cost a fraction of that $2000 for labor and the results will be the same. Good luck
Old 04-13-2011, 07:35 AM
Members

Pjinca,

When people call them Stealership, I always thought it was just a figure of speech. Sometimes, I took it as only a personal and vindicative comment. Of course, I don't really know how much it really cost on labor at other places and whether they can do a good job. But I think $2,000 on labor on just changing a few simple components and programing is a bit pricy...

Also, do you think the CCC will work if I put it on by myself? I am thinking of just taking it to them to do the programing...

And would you mind provide me the name and phone number of the contact that did your CCC, please? And can he do it while you wait?

Thank you in advance,

Daniel

Old 04-13-2011, 07:43 AM
Contributors

Well, keep in mind, the replacing of the components is fairly quick. It's the programming that can be both tricky and time consuming. A full reflash of the software in our cars takes around 8-10 hrs. That said, the dealer (stealer) does it the same way any indy shop with the same computers do it. So yes, the CCC will need to be programmed to the car specifically, but in my case it did not need a full reflash (the CCC I got was on the same version as my car) but it still needed to be coded to my VIN #. This was done in about 1 hr, including install.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:09 AM
Members

Thanks, man.

Wow, you got lucky for finding the same vesion for your car. Mine is a 2006 with production date of 03/05 and I can't seem to find one on Ebay. Just spoke with the BMW dealer and the parts guy said they sell a remanufacutred one for $851.

Do you have the phone number to your contact guy? If not, I can just google for the company's general number.

Thanks,

Daniel
Well, keep in mind, the replacing of the components is fairly quick. It's the programming that can be both tricky and time consuming. A full reflash of the software in our cars takes around 8-10 hrs. That said, the dealer (stealer) does it the same way any indy shop with the same computers do it. So yes, the CCC will need to be programmed to the car specifically, but in my case it did not need a full reflash (the CCC I got was on the same version as my car) but it still needed to be coded to my VIN #. This was done in about 1 hr, including install.

Quick Reply: I-Drive Screen went blank