DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

engine breather filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='808131' date='Mar 5 2009, 10:56 AM
can someone please tell me how this new oil seperator works??
i changed mine yesterday, and the old "foam" type, that looked like a mini air filter, was knackered, but i can see how it would act as a breather, but the new one is all plastic, how does this "seperate" the oil or filter it??
I was the same as you when I saw it, however, you need to remember that we are not talking about a stream of oil here but merely a mist. I think that there are channels to vent the pressure inside the new filter but any oil will just spray the inside of it and run out the two holes. I have read that even the new filter can clog on another site, it is recomended to check the condition of it every 12K miles.

Big Mechanical Worries. But I still love the car.......
Old 03-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Contributors

it must be the same as the turbo oil feed pipe, i could not work out how that could get clogged up, but its a fine film of oil (spray almost) that hits the bend in the pipe, and builds up there.

but it did supprise me how different the 2 oil seperators were, but for ?17 it was another worthwhile mod/service.
(where do you stop )..upgraded this and replacement that...different bits here, and change the thingy for a strengthened one...mod this...watch out for that...frankinstein comes to mind.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Members

have you changed the turbo oil feed pipe?
if so what was the part number and can you do a write up of the procedure?
i know what you mean though with swaping parts ect but hopefully with the flaps removed, breather changed may have prevented work in the future, who knows?
simon
Old 03-08-2009, 03:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bobsimes' post='808450' date='Mar 5 2009, 03:46 PM
have you changed the turbo oil feed pipe?
if so what was the part number and can you do a write up of the procedure?
i know what you mean though with swaping parts ect but hopefully with the flaps removed, breather changed may have prevented work in the future, who knows?
simon
I havent changed this yet but I would be interested to hear from anyone that has, this is also on my to do list.

Dont you think it is shocking that us owners should have to worry about these things? BMW make the best engines in the world but they should come clean about these issues and add them to a service schedule or do a recall. I couldnt imagine owning a car like this if I had no mechanical knowledge, it scares me to think of owning one of these cars and being oblivious to the known issues.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:42 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 525d manual touring. Beige comfort leather, panoramic sunroof, hifi and blinds option.

Originally Posted by Bob525D' post='810581' date='Mar 8 2009, 07:11 AM
I havent changed this yet but I would be interested to hear from anyone that has, this is also on my to do list.

Dont you think it is shocking that us owners should have to worry about these things? BMW make the best engines in the world but they should come clean about these issues and add them to a service schedule or do a recall. I couldnt imagine owning a car like this if I had no mechanical knowledge, it scares me to think of owning one of these cars and being oblivious to the known issues.
Excellent pics .. and very helpful .. I have just been on-line looking this all up, as I wanted to be sure that I was doing the right thing replacing the "hair curler" foam one in place, with a very different solid plastic cyclone type one as a replacement from BMW. Have now fitted it, and all seems fine ..

Is there any way we can alert people who are changing their engine air filters that they should change the oil separator (if not previously done) at the same time .. I changed the air filter last weekend, and have just had to go through almost all the same work and dissassembly to get to the oil separator THIS weekend .. Yes, I know, I should have done more research ? Shame that BMW TIS DVD does not reference the Oil Separator change on the air filter procedure page .. !
Old 04-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by frost015' post='810611' date='Mar 8 2009, 01:42 PM
Excellent pics .. and very helpful .. I have just been on-line looking this all up, as I wanted to be sure that I was doing the right thing replacing the "hair curler" foam one in place, with a very different solid plastic cyclone type one as a replacement from BMW. Have now fitted it, and all seems fine ..

Is there any way we can alert people who are changing their engine air filters that they should change the oil separator (if not previously done) at the same time .. I changed the air filter last weekend, and have just had to go through almost all the same work and dissassembly to get to the oil separator THIS weekend .. Yes, I know, I should have done more research ? Shame that BMW TIS DVD does not reference the Oil Separator change on the air filter procedure page .. !
worth having a look at the exhaust manifold with a mirror while you at it too, as cracked manifolds are quite common, and require all these parts removing and more to access it.

engine breather filter-ex_manifold_cracked.jpg
Old 05-04-2009, 01:59 AM
Members

Found this topic whilst searching for a guide to fitting an new air filter.

Glad I found it before fitting and not after

Can I double check, is it only part no. 11127799366 - Oil Separator required or are any other parts required such as seals etc. worth ordering at the same time?
Old 05-10-2009, 01:17 AM
Members

My Ride: e60 LCI 535d msport

Originally Posted by Rob Hall' post='801969' date='Feb 26 2009, 10:34 AM
Dealer was quite honest with me and told me i didnt need the casing so was only around the ?17 for parts
can you provide part number please.

I want to change mine, along with the air filter

anyone got a guide on how to remove engine cover to replace breather for the e60? ive done it mant times on the e46, but the bay is different.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Macadee' post='867500' date='May 4 2009, 10:59 AM
Found this topic whilst searching for a guide to fitting an new air filter.

Glad I found it before fitting and not after

Can I double check, is it only part no. 11127799366 - Oil Separator required or are any other parts required such as seals etc. worth ordering at the same time?

That was the part no. i ordered. But the dealer would supply the part from the last 7 digits of your chassis number anyway,

New seals were provided with the seperator and i didnt require any other parts.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rob Hall' post='876986' date='May 13 2009, 02:04 AM
That was the part no. i ordered. But the dealer would supply the part from the last 7 digits of your chassis number anyway,

New seals were provided with the seperator and i didnt require any other parts.
Cheers,

Picked one up from the dealer, will get it fitted hopefully this weekend if it stays dry long enough!

Quick Reply: engine breather filter