DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

engine breather filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 06:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='742292' date='Dec 10 2008, 04:12 PM
Swirl flaps

Just another thing to worry about now...............so far on my list are.......

Breather Filter
Swirl Flaps
EGR
Auto Trans Problems ( not that I have any - yet )

Buying a newer car was supposed to make me worry less about things, not worry more about new things lol.
That list just isnt long enough !
Old 02-14-2009, 05:14 AM
Members

Hi Guys,

Just joined this great forum. Have an X3 3.0d 9/2004 car (M57TU engine).

Question on the breather:

I have part number 11127799366 in my car. Is this the improved version?

Cheers.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Diesel-King' post='792713' date='Feb 14 2009, 02:14 PM
Hi Guys,

Just joined this great forum. Have an X3 3.0d 9/2004 car (M57TU engine).

Question on the breather:

I have part number 11127799366 in my car. Is this the improved version?

Cheers.
That is the part no for the seperator for sure, bmw dont offer the old type as an option though and am not sure if the old type had the same part no, so maybe worth checking with the dealer parts dept if the old type had the same part no.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:05 AM
Members

you will know if it is the old type as it looks like a hair curler with foam around
the new type is all plastic and has no foam and fills the space fully.

when you go to bmw i was told you need the breather casing as well but that is bulls**t when i got home the casing was exactly the same and the new all plastic breather filter part fits directly into the casing where the old curler type sponge breather filter was, no need to replace gaskets as they are the sturdy rubber type ones.
appart from stripping the top of the engine bay and air filter cover (replace your filter whilst you are at it (i used a k&n and it works fine) the job takes about 1 hour (e60 530d )
the difference in price is ?17 for the replacement breather part or ?47 for the breather and casing!! i am taking the casing back for a refund!!

hope this helps

simon
Old 02-26-2009, 12:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bobsimes' post='801955' date='Feb 26 2009, 09:05 AM
you will know if it is the old type as it looks like a hair curler with foam around
the new type is all plastic and has no foam and fills the space fully.

when you go to bmw i was told you need the breather casing as well but that is bulls**t when i got home the casing was exactly the same and the new all plastic breather filter part fits directly into the casing where the old curler type sponge breather filter was, no need to replace gaskets as they are the sturdy rubber type ones.
appart from stripping the top of the engine bay and air filter cover (replace your filter whilst you are at it (i used a k&n and it works fine) the job takes about 1 hour (e60 530d )
the difference in price is ?17 for the replacement breather part or ?47 for the breather and casing!! i am taking the casing back for a refund!!

hope this helps

simon

Dealer was quite honest with me and told me i didnt need the casing so was only around the ?17 for parts
Old 02-26-2009, 07:28 AM
Members

took the casing back today and the stealership were still adement the part had been changed before or something, he nearly died when he had to issue a refund for ?22, i bet there were bells and whistles going off at bmw hq "what, a refund, nein nein !!!"
simon
Old 03-02-2009, 08:40 AM
Senior Members

Can you confirm something for me to give me some piece of mind, I replaced mine at the weekend. Despite all the bits that had to be removed the job seemed too easy. Is it really just a case of removing the foam one wetting the new o ring seal with oil before fitting it to the cap, then sliding on the new filter before carefully sloting it back in to place and tightening the screws. Have I missed something or was it really that simple, to be honest it could only go in one way by the look of it.

Thanks,

Bob.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Bob525D' post='805376' date='Mar 2 2009, 05:40 PM
Can you confirm something for me to give me some piece of mind, I replaced mine at the weekend. Despite all the bits that had to be removed the job seemed too easy. Is it really just a case of removing the foam one wetting the new o ring seal with oil before fitting it to the cap, then sliding on the new filter before carefully sloting it back in to place and tightening the screws. Have I missed something or was it really that simple, to be honest it could only go in one way by the look of it.

Thanks,

Bob.
yep seems like you fitted it correctly
it is supposed to just fit right in place of the foam type one.

simon
Old 03-04-2009, 08:40 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bobsimes' post='806580' date='Mar 3 2009, 06:41 PM
yep seems like you fitted it correctly
it is supposed to just fit right in place of the foam type one.

simon

Good man thanks for confirming this, much appreciated.

Bob.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:56 AM
Contributors

can someone please tell me how this new oil seperator works??
i changed mine yesterday, and the old "foam" type, that looked like a mini air filter, was knackered, but i can see how it would act as a breather, but the new one is all plastic, how does this "seperate" the oil or filter it??

Quick Reply: engine breather filter