DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

E60 M-Style Replica Rear Spoiler Installation (Pics and Questions)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 06:09 PM
cpo
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by haixu' timestamp='[url="tel:1335803441"
1335803441[/url]' post='1438934]
Please let me know how it turns out for you.

About spreading the activator - I thought the tape had already mounted when I got it so - apply the activator only on the side of the tap that would stick to the trunk right?

Thanks much guys

BTW the reason I haven't tried is that I had Miro 111 installed at a shop and they forgot to put the hub rings so my car is not vibrate (like riding a shopping cart) ... they are ordering a hub ring set and after that if that fix the vibration issue I will try to install this.

Cheers
I put activator directly on the trunk lid. I let it dry for a minute or two before starting to position the spoiler. I measured both sides to ensure it was centered on lid as well as equal distance from front of the trunk lid. Best advice is to only start pulling the plastic from the tape by a few inches. I did this on both corners and there was enough sticky tape to position and adjust. Then when I was happy I pressed the corners down hard and pulled the rest of the backing off while the spoiler was in position. I then taped it all down as tight as I could and left it overnight.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:15 PM
cpo
Members

I forgot to add: before I started I washed the trunk lid with dish soap to strip any wax or polish, then I clayed it and washed it with dish soap again. I wanted to be sure I had a good clean surface to attach to.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:37 PM
Contributors

Looks really good glad to see you finally got the chance to fit.

You really can't tell its not an original, the colour and the quality of both the spoiler and paintwork are spot on (on mine too )
Old 05-07-2012, 06:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by cpo
I forgot to add: before I started I washed the trunk lid with dish soap to strip any wax or polish, then I clayed it and washed it with dish soap again. I wanted to be sure I had a good clean surface to attach to.
Thanks so much for the useful info CPO. Really appreciate it. This makes me feel more confident to install it. I had to put back my stock rims as Miro 111 rims had so much vibration on my car so whoever read this post - don't try Miro 111 18" on a 530i - they can't get rid of the vibration.

Thanks again the weather in CA starts to get warmer and it is a good time to install these

cheers
Old 05-07-2012, 06:40 AM
Members

Also I have a slightly different spoiler. My is ABS style but will up load pics soon. Thanks for all whom had replied to my questions.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Contributors

so finally got a chance to install it...

Impressed with the colour and fit, I think it sets off the rear nicely.

Word of warning for UK buyers using the CPO's Link, FedEx charged me import duty on this, the bill came through 10 days later apparently its due to admin delays, still a bargain price for a painted spoiler..
Old 06-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

Just ordered the M-Style Replica Rear Spoiler in Alpine White. I hope I have the luck of the fitment Gods on my side.

I will post pics once I have it installed.
Attached Thumbnails E60 M-Style Replica Rear Spoiler Installation (Pics and Questions)-aw-m5.jpg  
Old 06-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Members

[quote name='jay77' timestamp='1337536085' post='1443720']
so finally got a chance to install it...

Looks really good Jay - thanks for sharing.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:07 AM
New Members

Bougt "BMW E60 REAR A TYPE ROOF & M5 TYPE TRUNK SPOILER" from eBay delivered & painted in Carbon black for £120
Received it the other day paint job looks great & good match, Roof spoiler stuck on & perfect fit.

Got to the Trunk spoiler & it was such a bad fit that not all of the spoiler made contact with the trunk, so i just pulled it off.

1. Just wondering is this because mine is the LCI model, did the trunk design/shape change?
2. Has anybody else had problems with fitment?

E60 M-Style Replica Rear Spoiler Installation (Pics and Questions)-img-20120627-00351.jpg
E60 M-Style Replica Rear Spoiler Installation (Pics and Questions)-img-20120627-00354.jpg
E60 M-Style Replica Rear Spoiler Installation (Pics and Questions)-img-20120627-00352.jpg
Old 06-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

Originally Posted by hdee
Bougt "BMW E60 REAR A TYPE ROOF & M5 TYPE TRUNK SPOILER" from eBay delivered & painted in Carbon black for £120
Received it the other day paint job looks great & good match, Roof spoiler stuck on & perfect fit.

Got to the Trunk spoiler & it was such a bad fit that not all of the spoiler made contact with the trunk, so i just pulled it off.

1. Just wondering is this because mine is the LCI model, did the trunk design/shape change?
2. Has anybody else had problems with fitment?

Attachment 134475
Attachment 134476
Attachment 134477
Try moving the spoiler down. It is supposed to fit slightly above the BMW trunk emblem (about an inch or so). The spoiler is supposed to cover the hump on the trunk. Hopefully that will resolve, but if its bad fitment. It's bad fitment. Good luck mate.

Quick Reply: E60 M-Style Replica Rear Spoiler Installation (Pics and Questions)