DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

E60 M-Style Replica Rear Spoiler Installation (Pics and Questions)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 06:45 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the exact same spoiler as CPO, same source and price. It arrived in 5 days via FedEx! Shipping included in the $92 price.
i did not realize that the tube was a glue accelerant. i just cleaned the wax off the strip of trunk the spoiler covered and pressed it on. Perfect fit, very snug, doesn't move a milimeter.
The production quality and paint job is first rate. You can't tell it isn't OEM.
Attached Thumbnails E60 M-Style Replica Rear Spoiler Installation (Pics and Questions)-010-2-.jpg   E60 M-Style Replica Rear Spoiler Installation (Pics and Questions)-003-4-.jpg  
Old 04-08-2012, 10:36 AM
cpo
Members

Originally Posted by harcorshe
Nice. Thanks for posting pictures. The OP seems to have gotten side-tracked.
Not sidetracked...just not installed yet. It has been too cold to install...and now I am in the UK (left my car behind) so it will still be a bit before I install.

I will post pics when I install, but I really appreciate the others posting their photos here as well.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:57 PM
Members

nice.. will be ordering one of these soon too. Nice touch
Old 04-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by leese8080
I purchased the ACS replica spoiler from the ebay seller mentioned above. They actually painted the spoiler in A07 (Mystic Blue) for me at the same cost of $92 shipped. On the seller's link, only the metallic black is shown, but I reached out to the seller and requested it to be painted in A07, which he agreed. The paint matches well and the fitment is good, but not perfect, which was not expected. Can't beat $92 painted/shipped. Further, the package only took 12 days to be delivered from Taiwan.

I used the super strong 3M molding tape and the 'blue masking tape -used for interior painting' purchased from home depot to hold it down for 2 days. There is a small gap in the corners but I don't think the spoiler would fall off.

All in all, I am very happy with it. Pardon the poor quality phone camera.
Thanks much for the pics. Did you have to pay anything else (e.g. import tax duty?)
I was debating and now seeing your posts - I feel more confident.

Thanks again guys.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by leese8080
I purchased the ACS replica spoiler from the ebay seller mentioned above. They actually painted the spoiler in A07 (Mystic Blue) for me at the same cost of $92 shipped. On the seller's link, only the metallic black is shown, but I reached out to the seller and requested it to be painted in A07, which he agreed. The paint matches well and the fitment is good, but not perfect, which was not expected. Can't beat $92 painted/shipped. Further, the package only took 12 days to be delivered from Taiwan.

I used the super strong 3M molding tape and the 'blue masking tape -used for interior painting' purchased from home depot to hold it down for 2 days. There is a small gap in the corners but I don't think the spoiler would fall off.

All in all, I am very happy with it. Pardon the poor quality phone camera.
Did you have to pay imports/duty?
Thanks in advance
Old 04-16-2012, 11:23 AM
cpo
Members

Originally Posted by haixu
Did you have to pay imports/duty?
Thanks in advance
I didn't.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

Pics?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by cpo
I didn't.
Thanks. Just found out less $200. Don't have too. Ordered mine already
Old 04-21-2012, 02:33 AM
Contributors

Thanks for the link, Just ordered one in Titanium Silver

@ people that bought and fitted it, did you need to use tape to hold it down while gluing or did you find it stuck fairly easily?
Old 04-21-2012, 11:19 PM
cpo
Members

Originally Posted by jay77
Thanks for the link, Just ordered one in Titanium Silver

@ people that bought and fitted it, did you need to use tape to hold it down while gluing or did you find it stuck fairly easily?
While I haven't installed mine yet...I fully intend to use the 3M tape (and not glue) to affix as well as painters tape to strap it to the car while it cures. It is my understanding that it take a while for the adhesive to fully cure once put into place. Taping during this period ensures that it stays firmly pressed against the trunk surface. I imagine this is most valuable when it comes to the corner edges, which seem to want to lift if not prepped and cured properly.

I just got word that I may be coming back to the States soon...so hopefully I can actually install mine in the next few weeks. Sure, I could have installed it right when I received it...but I was limited on time and the weather was a little colder than I wanted. I only want to do this once, and the right way.

Please share your results and pics when you get yours on!

Quick Reply: E60 M-Style Replica Rear Spoiler Installation (Pics and Questions)