DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY ZF 6HP19Z Transmission Drain & Refill

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 03:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e60 520d 2006 model

The same thing happened today on my 520d. it's been 3 weeks since i noticed that some torx bolts on the gear oil pan had leak from the atf oil. just a spil. So i had that gear slam at the time the car stopped moving. Not all of the times i stopped but enough to make me wonder what's next. i have 130000 km about and still haven't changed atf oil. i also tried twice this ( 20 seconds reset trick). Could it be anything wrong when two months ago i changed all by my shelf the vibration damper (pulley) and i had to force a lot to replace it? thanks in advance..
Old 03-20-2010, 01:38 PM
Members

Raj

Sorry...if I'm a bit late. But hopefully you can help me out on this topic. I got the exact same setup E60 2005 525i six speed auto tranny. All gears shifts silky smooth except 3rd to 4th is a bit rough. I got the car used with 78K on it. The last owner took great care of it. BMW says ATF is lifetime but after reading your post I must disagree.

Question: 1) Pictures shown before and after oil change. HOw many miles...when you had that changed?
2) I heard about software update that may cure the shifting problem? Have you heard? Is it true?
3) Regardless....I'd love to get the tranny oil changed for peace of mind. I live 45 minutes away from you..so thought that you can help.

I appreciate it.

Thanks

Dave
Old 03-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Contributors

YOU HAVE BALLS OF STEEL.

I could NEVER do this, I would shit myself in fear of screwing something up.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Members

Guys I did a lot of research as to what in the world our mystery factory fill ATF could be, and I think I finally found it. After a lot of searching, and phone calls to shell USA I have deduced the following:

According to the australian petrolium institute: http://www.lubeandtune.com.au/html/lubekey.asp their ASP15 classification includes the following fluids:
-Ford Specification No. M2C 919D
-Mercon SP Fluid Part No. XT-6QSP
-Shell ATF M-1375.4
-ZF 6-speed Automatic Transmission Fluid, (Shell M-1375.4)

Mercon SP Fluid is a newer transmission fluid made by shell for Ford dealers. Its easy to find online, and it retails for around $4:00+/quart. Things get really interesting when you look at the specs of lifeguard 6 found in the MSDS:
http://www.tsgparts.net/images/pdf/Lifeguardfluid6.pdf and compare them to the specs of Mercon SP:
http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricant...ERCON%20SP.pdf and http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricant...us175325us.pdf

VERY similar specs, and the same color fluid.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Members

You can get the lifeguard6/Shell M-1375.4 fluid for $4.68/quart here: http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/cg...uct_detail.jsp

Before you get this fluid consider the following; which are my opinions, drawn from online research. Shell was tapped by ZF/Ford, to make this fluid for maximum fuel efficiency. it has very similar specs to amsoil's fuel efficiency transmission fluid:

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atl.aspx (Scroll to the bottom of the page).

If you are in/out of warranty, want to change your ATF fluid, with oem, for considerably less than what the dealer will charge, then get the mecron SP stuff. Now for those who have higher torque vehicles with the 6hp19/26 transmissions, you might want to opt for a fluid that will trade you gas mileage for decreased fluid temps. This is especially true if you plan on occasional racing, or power increasing modifications. If you look at amsoil, and redline, you find that they each offer a line of racing/high temp fluid products. These products offer better thermal protection for racing or high torque vehicles. Looking closely, there're specs differ from the fuel efficient lines. Most notebly: KV @ 40C 7.5-10cst; KV @ 100C 34-53cst VI: 177+, Flash point 225 F+. Clearly the higher the fluid's KV/VI/Flash point, the more sheer stable it is under abnormal stress.

The above listed racing fluids are on the high end. You can have slightly more thermal protection than stock with several other fluids(KV 40C: 7-8, KV 100C 34-38, VI 165+, Flash Point 212 C+:

-Castrol multi-vehicle atf TE ML 11A
-Pentosin ATF 1 TE ML 11B
-castrol transmax TE ML 11B, 14C!

None TE ML optoins include:
-amsoil universal atf
-valvoline max life
-royal purple max gear
-etc.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Premium Package

Found this castrol ATF:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...ndName=Castrol

It says it is Shell M1375.4 compatible. Any thoughts?
Old 03-24-2010, 09:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dailygrind
Raj

Sorry...if I'm a bit late. But hopefully you can help me out on this topic. I got the exact same setup E60 2005 525i six speed auto tranny. All gears shifts silky smooth except 3rd to 4th is a bit rough. I got the car used with 78K on it. The last owner took great care of it. BMW says ATF is lifetime but after reading your post I must disagree.

Question: 1) Pictures shown before and after oil change. HOw many miles...when you had that changed?
2) I heard about software update that may cure the shifting problem? Have you heard? Is it true?
3) Regardless....I'd love to get the tranny oil changed for peace of mind. I live 45 minutes away from you..so thought that you can help.

I appreciate it.

Thanks

Dave
Dave, sorry that I was away for a while and it took me this long to respond.
1) I changed the atf at 72k miles. The car currently has 86k miles and all is well.
2) Shifting problems can defi nitely be fixed with software upgrade. I havee seen it on my sister's e46.
3) Good to hear that you are local. Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Regards.
Raj
Old 03-24-2010, 09:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by spinitch
Found this castrol ATF:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...ndName=Castrol

It says it is Shell M1375.4 compatible. Any thoughts?
I wish I could say go for it. Transmissions are expensive and I don't want to take the responsibilty of giving advise that could cost someone thousands $$$.
I felt safe using Pentosin ATF. I guess, it all depends on how risk you like to take?
Raj
Old 03-24-2010, 09:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ceenit
Ouch! As a former 968 owner, that mixup stikes a nerve.

Great writeup and pics. First warm spring day, I'm ready to tackle this one.
Thanks Ceenit. Let me know if you need any additional help. As a current 968 owner, that is the least I can do.
Regards.
Raj
Old 03-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Premium Package

Did you replace the pan torx bolts as well? SA at my dealer stated they are one time use and should be replaced as well. They're pretty cheap though, around a dollar each and you need 24 of them.

Quick Reply: DIY ZF 6HP19Z Transmission Drain & Refill