DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY ZF 6HP19Z Transmission Drain & Refill

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 04:30 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skibarefoot' post='1051137' date='Nov 9 2009, 07:15 PM
To get all the fluid out on other vehicles you can remove the return line to the transmsission. You then drain, clean and change the filter, put the pan back up and fill. Start the car and as the fuid cirulates instead of going back into the tranny you put it in a pan. Pump a quart or two out then refill and repeat until the fluid changes color. Reattach the return line and there you go, all the fluid is changed.

Would that work on our cars?
I guess it should work but with fluid that costs a LOT of $$, might be a bit of waste. I can't imagine being able to clearly decipher the difference between new and used oil that easily. It all depends, how dirty the old oil is.
Regards.
Raj
Old 11-10-2009, 06:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 968turboS' post='1051573' date='Nov 10 2009, 08:30 AM
I guess it should work but with fluid that costs a LOT of $$, might be a bit of waste. I can't imagine being able to clearly decipher the difference between new and used oil that easily. It all depends, how dirty the old oil is.
Regards.
Raj
It's less wastefull then pulling the pan again and quicker. If you know how much fluid the tranny holds then count how many you put in when you filled the pan and then put the rest in.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by skibarefoot' post='1051629' date='Nov 10 2009, 10:14 AM
It's less wastefull then pulling the pan again and quicker. If you know how much fluid the tranny holds then count how many you put in when you filled the pan and then put the rest in.
There is no need to pull the pan a 2nd time. You just do it once when you want to change the filter. The proper method to top off fluid is to run the engine and let the fluid get to a certain temperature range and then to use the fill plug to top off. Measuring what came out is another way but not what ZF recommends in it's manual.
Regards.
Raj
Old 11-10-2009, 06:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 968turboS' post='1051649' date='Nov 10 2009, 10:37 AM
There is no need to pull the pan a 2nd time. You just do it once when you want to change the filter. The proper method to top off fluid is to run the engine and let the fluid get to a certain temperature range and then to use the fill plug to top off. Measuring what came out is another way but not what ZF recommends in it's manual.
Regards.
Raj

How does ZF recommend getting all the fluid out? Flushing machine? When I change the fluid I want to change it all. Even draining twice the old a new fluid mixes in between drains. It may not work on our cars just sharing information. I'll need to change my fluid soon. Don't believe in lifetime fluids. Who's lifetime anyway? Mine or the transmissions? Their not real clear on that one.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by skibarefoot' post='1051652' date='Nov 10 2009, 10:47 AM
How does ZF recommend getting all the fluid out? Flushing machine? When I change the fluid I want to change it all. Even draining twice the old a new fluid mixes in between drains. It may not work on our cars just sharing information. I'll need to change my fluid soon. Don't believe in lifetime fluids. Who's lifetime anyway? Mine or the transmissions? Their not real clear on that one.
Drain and refill does not change the fluid 100% no matter how many times you do. Flush is the only way to get 100% new fluid into the tranny including the torque converter. From the information that I gather in this forum and from BMW TIS, I have not seen anywhere mention about flushing machine.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by skibarefoot' post='1051652' date='Nov 10 2009, 10:47 AM
Unless you drop teh tranny and remove the torque convertor, you will not be able to get all teh fluid out. Unfortunately, our best bet it to get maximum fluid out .
Raj
Old 11-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i w/ sport package: bone stock :( 2006 Yamaha R-6exy Raven: Fully Loaded Track weapon 2004 Ducati 749 Testaretta: Fully Loaded two other family cars that I dont care to mention, lol!

How has the transmission been acting since having this running for a couple of weeks? what are your thoughts on using Pentosin instead of ZF lifeguardfluid 6 which is recommended fluid from ZF?

if anyone else used Pentosin, I would like to know your thoughts as well! I have to change my out because there was a crack on my oil pan.

My dilemma is I cannot find ZF lifeguard 6, so looking for another alternative, But if you cannot get a 100% flush and you have to have 2 brands mix wouldnt this be bad?

Thanks in advance for you input.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by will2k' post='1061328' date='Nov 23 2009, 11:47 PM
How has the transmission been acting since having this running for a couple of weeks? what are your thoughts on using Pentosin instead of ZF lifeguardfluid 6 which is recommended fluid from ZF?

if anyone else used Pentosin, I would like to know your thoughts as well! I have to change my out because there was a crack on my oil pan.

My dilemma is I cannot find ZF lifeguard 6, so looking for another alternative, But if you cannot get a 100% flush and you have to have 2 brands mix wouldnt this be bad?

They do not recommand to mix two differnt types of fluid mixed together.

I am trying to use Pentosin ATF1 but im not sure if it s ok to use
Old 11-24-2009, 02:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by will2k' post='1061328' date='Nov 23 2009, 11:47 PM

I have over 2k on the car car since the drain and fill and the car is driving as normal. I really don't expect any issues. Pentosin is an oem supplier and the fact that they have the bmw part # stamped on the fluid container tells me its 100% safe to use. At the end of the day, it is a standard ZF unit, found in plenty of cars. Some use Shell, some use Pentosin, some use Febi/Bilstein. The fact that ZF also makes a compatible fluid tells me that there are other options. I doubt ZF is making their own oil.
Regards.
Raj
Old 11-24-2009, 02:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by monsterj34' post='1061336' date='Nov 23 2009, 11:53 PM
They do not recommand to mix two differnt types of fluid mixed together.

I am trying to use Pentosin ATF1 but im not sure if it s ok to use
Over 2k and counting . I think the fear has more to do with mixing incompatible fluids. Pentosin has the BMW part number on the fluid container. I doubt they would open themselves up to the liability unless their fluid was 100% compatible.
Regards.
Raj

Quick Reply: DIY ZF 6HP19Z Transmission Drain & Refill