DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY ZF 6HP19Z Transmission Drain & Refill

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi guys,
for those who are interested in a reasnoble price OEM ATF replacement, look for fluid number TYK500050 used in land rover new cars(24$/liter).they use the original ZF lifeguard 6 fluid in these transmissions and it is actually the shell M1375.4 with a different part number.BMW charges 45$ for the same fluid.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dailygrind
Raj,

Yeah, the job wasn't easy but everything's changed now. Mechatronic sleeve's changed and the ATF's changed. Put in a new pan. But Sighhh....I'm still bothered by that rough shift from 3rd to 4th gear. It's not going away. This really frustrates me.

I don't know.....I heard about transmission software updates that may fix this problem. This is my first used BMW and the repair bill is beginning to disencourage me from getting another. I love the car, but unfortunately I live in Northern VA where the dealers here are thieves. How much would a transmission software update set me back?

I don't want to rely on the dealers...but I'm having a hard time finding a fair and experienced local shop with the software update capability. Do you have any shop recommendations? I come up to philly once in a while.

BTW....your DIY was killer helpful
Sorry bud, I do have the diagnostic tool but it does not allow software upgrades.
Regards.
Raj
Old 05-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by waelfarhat
Hi raj,
do u think that it is better to replace the ATF when the car is warmed up after a little drive or we should do it when the car is cold and most of the ATF is inside the pan?by the way how is ur pentosin ATF going?i am scared of using it.i am looking for the shell M1375.4 but it seems it is only sold at the dealer.
regards
I am at 90k now, so I have over 18k on the Pentosin fluid and it's held up fine. It is always a good idea to warm up fluids before drain. The viscosity changes as it warms up and is easier to drain.
Good luck.
Raj
Old 05-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by LJTX545I
taking a crack at drain and fill on the 545 this morning. On the V8 you have to remove a heat shield on the passenger side to get to the fill plug. Got 4 quarts out, only got 3 in before fluid started to overflow out of fill plug. changed inclines on the jack, favoring passenger side, tried going through the gears, etc, but can't seem to add any more.

Will try to drive like this for a while and see what happens. RM was out of the pan and filter kit so I am going to do that soon.
You must fill in the remainder while the car is running. This allows the transmission pumps to work, which suck up some of the oil in the pan. I would add the last missing quart, if I were you.
Raj
Old 05-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by carfucious
Just checking back in, now reaching 80k miles and nearly a year scince changing fluid and filter/pan, trans shifts like it did when I bought it. Great article and information
My pleasure!
Old 05-08-2010, 06:36 PM
Members

Raj,

You are given us great information for those of us trying to do this. I have a question. After doing the first drain and fill, is it necessary to drive the car for about 5 to 10 miles before doing the second drain fill cycle and so on. I did this with my 2000 Volvo S70 5 times and got to 90% fluid replacement. In the volvo you needed to do this to really get the fluid mixed in. It seams that just running thru the gears for a few minutes on the jack stands is not going to give you a good mix, since you are not working the torque converter much.

Thanks
Old 05-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by josehb
Raj,

You are given us great information for those of us trying to do this. I have a question. After doing the first drain and fill, is it necessary to drive the car for about 5 to 10 miles before doing the second drain fill cycle and so on. I did this with my 2000 Volvo S70 5 times and got to 90% fluid replacement. In the volvo you needed to do this to really get the fluid mixed in. It seams that just running thru the gears for a few minutes on the jack stands is not going to give you a good mix, since you are not working the torque converter much.

Thanks
Yeah, I would definitely drive the car for a bit. I did my 2nd change a week later.
Good luck.
Raj
Old 06-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by dailygrind
Raj,

Yeah, the job wasn't easy but everything's changed now. Mechatronic sleeve's changed and the ATF's changed. Put in a new pan. But Sighhh....I'm still bothered by that rough shift from 3rd to 4th gear. It's not going away. This really frustrates me.

I don't know.....I heard about transmission software updates that may fix this problem. This is my first used BMW and the repair bill is beginning to disencourage me from getting another. I love the car, but unfortunately I live in Northern VA where the dealers here are thieves. How much would a transmission software update set me back?

I don't want to rely on the dealers...but I'm having a hard time finding a fair and experienced local shop with the software update capability. Do you have any shop recommendations? I come up to philly once in a while.

BTW....your DIY was killer helpful
I also let a company ( specialized in automatic transmissions) change the ATF and filter, at 108K miles. They used a machine to get almost all the fluid out. Car shift like a dream now but the initial rough shift 3rd gear remained , but I knew that as the mechanic told me that a fluid change will not solve that shift because it is a small gap , as he described that will slowly worsen ( and at the point not life threatening ), they can fix it at considerably higher cost than a oil change but many times cheaper than the dealership, who probably will try to sell you a whole new transmission.

When changing the ATF oil the company actually called me to tell me that everything still look quite OK ( fluid drained) with that kind of mileage on the same oil and recommended to only change the oil.

I did read somewhere that ATF oil does degrade over time due to overheating temperature , according to the author ATF hates to be at certain high temperatures , like a lot of city traffic with summer temperature will degrade ATF a lot faster than a lot of highway mileage. But yeah no scientific back up for that , just sharing what sounds possible
Old 06-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i with nav and blue tooth , the wifes and 1999 740il, my beast

Thank you for this very well done DIY My 2006 525i has 70 k miles....I will change the filter and oil this year. I like what you said about accurately measuring how much oil is drained and then we know at least how much must go back in. Henry
Old 06-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Contributors

Thanks guys. Glad to see how many people have actually done this DIY now.
Just as an update, I have 23k miles on the new fluid and all is well.
Regards.
Raj

Quick Reply: DIY ZF 6HP19Z Transmission Drain & Refill