DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY maintenance for the DPF...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 04:26 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any way, got rid of the filter, job done! Thanks for all advice, but didn't work, get a little smoke when you boot it, but it goes straight away.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e60 520d 2006 model

Hello there it's been a month now when i got my last regeneration on my dpf. I was getting one every 100 km and it was very annoying happening all the time. One day it kept on regenerating for 50 minutes and when it stopped i turned of and used inpa to find this error: 471a check for critical engine oil mass and 472b check for critical engine oil viscosity. Also on the measurements of inpa desired air mass, current air mass, are way high..
I tried cleaning maf sensor with no result. From that moment till now 2500km after, regeneration starts for a minute while driving and suddenly it stops again. It seems that every time it stops regeneration i get the error again. I have normal operating temperature but probably faulty maf sensor. Engine isn't sweet anymore , steering wheel vibration as well , transmission output torque seems nervous. 2 days ago i had one more error : 4ce0 system of partical filter. What should i do first replace maf and see for changes?
Old 10-27-2013, 11:39 PM
Members

My Ride: e60 520d 2006 model

Sorry but i have to mention that i have the m47t2 engine 520d with over 290000km done. Never touched dpf ,maf, turbo.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:18 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 530d
Model Year: 2006
Engine: M57N2

My DPF status in the iDrive always show 150000 miles. Does this mean it has been coded out the ecu? Does it also mean I can remove the DPF completely or would a remap be still necessary?.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:18 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 525dA 2007 pre-LCI.
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by Quade
My DPF status in the iDrive always show 150000 miles. Does this mean it has been coded out the ecu? Does it also mean I can remove the DPF completely or would a remap be still necessary?.
DPF status in iDrive is useless.
If you remove the DPF the regeneration will still happen. To remove this a remap is needed.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Members

I suppose I should share my experience with MOT ( Autokeuring )
My yearly Belgian MOT appointment just happend after the DPF delete and you know what, got trough that thing without a hitch. I was nervous to finally see what the delete would register on the analysers of the MOT
It was green, no pollution. I passed MOT without a single mark down.
So to all of you doubting, go ahead with it, there's nothing stopping you
Old 12-15-2013, 01:39 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The regeneration cycle should not trigger when the DPF is removed because the back pressure will be very low, but at some point you'll have the low exhaust pressure error.

One of the main reasons for the DPF to start regenerating is the back pressure readings if they exceed the threshold which is 65mbar at idel and 150 at 2000rpms. Of course all of the other prerequisites are true.

Actually I'm in a dilemma to remove it or clean it. I have the ECU maps with disabled DPF, but today I was driving the car faster and it smoked from the back a lot and the filter was clogged. I might have a turbo failure, but I cannot tell at this point as I need first to remove the DPF to see if there is any oil in the exhaust pipes, as the smoke had a little blue spice, but the car stopped smoking in a minute or so.

P.S. @Anzafin way did you do the drying part? I don't think there will be a problem if you just mounted the filter on the car, the exhaust temperature is very high and the engine blows more than a leaf blower so it will dry it out in no time and it will force the water out from the exhaust pipes.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by bobbyggx
The regeneration cycle should not trigger when the DPF is removed because the back pressure will be very low, but at some point you'll have the low exhaust pressure error.

One of the main reasons for the DPF to start regenerating is the back pressure readings if they exceed the threshold which is 65mbar at idel and 150 at 2000rpms. Of course all of the other prerequisites are true.

Actually I'm in a dilemma to remove it or clean it. I have the ECU maps with disabled DPF, but today I was driving the car faster and it smoked from the back a lot and the filter was clogged. I might have a turbo failure, but I cannot tell at this point as I need first to remove the DPF to see if there is any oil in the exhaust pipes, as the smoke had a little blue spice, but the car stopped smoking in a minute or so.

P.S. @Anzafin way did you do the drying part? I don't think there will be a problem if you just mounted the filter on the car, the exhaust temperature is very high and the engine blows more than a leaf blower so it will dry it out in no time and it will force the water out from the exhaust pipes.
Actually the car can go through the regeneration process even without the DPF mounted. My car did it before I got the ECU reprogram.

If it truly is how you explained it, that you have your DPF mounted but the regeneration process removed from the ECU, then it is no wonder the DPF is clogged and the car goes into a limp mode.

I did the drying at first time when I washed the DPF for just to be sure, but you're right, it doesn't need any drying, the car will blow the water out.

- Antti -
Old 12-15-2013, 11:40 PM
New Members

I am with chip but the DPF maps are in place. I have a different version of my file with DPF off which I will load in an hour. My car is getting the dpf remove as we speak.

Last edited by bobbyggx; 12-18-2013 at 04:37 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:00 AM
New Members

My Ride: 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT, 2002 VW Passat TDi, 2006 Honda Civic EX

Wow, this is a seriously long thread now!!

Anyway, happy 2014 everybody, I've been greeted with the old DPF problem myself. I'll be having a go at the strip down, clean and refit this weekend. I'll try and get some pictures of the progress up if I can.

Thanks for everybody who added details procedures and pictures, it's been one of the most useful threads I've seen.

Staff

Quick Reply: DIY maintenance for the DPF...