DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Diesel fuel filter swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by Bob525D' post='1095122' date='Jan 21 2010, 11:57 PM
Can i ask a silly question? You mention the metal tubes and no need to clamp, does this mean that when the pipes are disconnected that appart from some slight spillage from the filter that no more should come out. Is there a automatic shut off valve or something similar built in?
Sorry I don't remember... Actually I'm not so sure about the metal tubes either anymore.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Mine was due last year. I was going to DIY, but when I asked for a $tealer quote to do it at my Oil Service, the difference in cost from what I could get a pattern filter for and the cost of them doing it was about a fiver. I'm a cheapskate, but for a fiver, the tech can get diesel down his sleeve rather than me! From memory, they charged about ?30 for the filter and fitting.

And yes, I know that I could do an Oil Service myself for a fraction of the ?99+VAT they charged, but they have the proper stamp for the book, I don't. - I have to think of resale value!!

Mike
Old 01-24-2010, 02:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='1096159' date='Jan 23 2010, 12:20 PM
Mine was due last year. I was going to DIY, but when I asked for a $tealer quote to do it at my Oil Service, the difference in cost from what I could get a pattern filter for and the cost of them doing it was about a fiver. I'm a cheapskate, but for a fiver, the tech can get diesel down his sleeve rather than me! From memory, they charged about ?30 for the filter and fitting.

And yes, I know that I could do an Oil Service myself for a fraction of the ?99+VAT they charged, but they have the proper stamp for the book, I don't. - I have to think of resale value!!

Mike
Hi Mike good points re dealership stamp. I considered similarly myself, however my machine has over 100k on it and 5 years old. So i didnt really think its worth forking out to BMW any more.

Just one point actually ?117 all in is exceptionally good value from BMW. If you go in for just oil dont they have some other charges out of you also, i seem to remember? I use Mobil ESP (It is approved BMW Long Life 04 Spec) which costs ballpark ?10/ litre. And you need 8 litres plus a filter. Plus get your hands dirty!! Are you comparing with LL04 spec oil for DIY, or am i buying my oil above market rate?
Old 01-31-2010, 10:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by Robbage
Hi Mike good points re dealership stamp. I considered similarly myself, however my machine has over 100k on it and 5 years old. So i didnt really think its worth forking out to BMW any more.

Just one point actually ?117 all in is exceptionally good value from BMW. If you go in for just oil dont they have some other charges out of you also, i seem to remember? I use Mobil ESP (It is approved BMW Long Life 04 Spec) which costs ballpark ?10/ litre. And you need 8 litres plus a filter. Plus get your hands dirty!! Are you comparing with LL04 spec oil for DIY, or am i buying my oil above market rate?
Robbage,

TBH, after the £99+ quote, I didn't think any further about DIY. I want to maintain my $tealer history (my car's done less than half your mileage), so it was a bit of a no-brainer. I'd previously done the micro filters, air filter and breather filter (as well as swirl flap removal)> I do tend to change my own oil at around 8k (for LL04 stuff) but it's been a while since I did it! Being a natural cheapskate, I do shop around quite a bit, and I do get some good prices from local motor factors.
Living equidistant from a few dealerships, I phone round all of them for service quotes - the closest to the £99 one was £212. Another no-brainer, as I know that all of them will do little but change the oil and filter. The £99 price has been discussed previously on here and BMWLand - Rybrook had it as a special offer for a while on 4 cylinder cars, then extended it for the sixes. Perhaps not surprisingly, once this price was on the forums, it didn't last too long, but at least some of the guys on here and BMWland got the benefit. I plan to sell my car this year, so it won't get another service visit with me. What next? Who knows - I miss the agility of the 3 series, but I've had 2 of them already, so I can't really have another can I?? 335d Touring maybe, but I like a manual gearbox which puts a lot of cars out of the picture.

Mike
Old 01-31-2010, 12:05 PM
Members

I changed my diesel fuel filter recently. It's a straightforward job, but you need a fair amount of access room under the car in order to lower the plastic under tray enough to get a screwdriver onto the clip at the front of the filter. I did mine using an inspection pit.

BMW state that the clip is to be replaced at the same time as the filter. It's the same as a jubilee clip except that you can't tighten it back up again with a screwdriver. BMW must use a special tool to do this at the factory / dealers. I just replaced the clip with a normal jubilee clip. Quite a lot of fuel comes through so have a bowl to catch and plenty of rags.