DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

CPT9000 EjectBox and Frame DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 01:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Originally Posted by khl' date='Jul 21 2004, 03:19 PM
The screen "Please contact your BMW Center" indicates that the recoding was not done properly, just like it first appeared on my phone menu. I don't think he was ever able to make any call with V60 (or CPT9000) from your car.
Well, when I picked my phone up at the body shop, there were no new calls in the outbound call log, so that tells me that the tech never actually made a call with the phone, unless the car keeps a separate log of calls.

I have a call in to the service manager of the dealership and will hopefully get this all straightened out.

And I will definitely not get the CPT9000 GSM until I personally see that it works, and my phone does not, given the same TCU recoding and same initial conditions. I did find a guy on Ebay who is selling a CDMA CPT9000 and he thinks he has a GSM one, too, so that may also be an option.

-MrB
Old 07-21-2004, 03:07 PM
Contributors

Mr. B.

Which dealership did you go to? I'm in Gwinnett, so United is usually where I go. Usually top notch.

Isn't it frustrating that they don't take care of our cars like we do? Man it irks me. To the service people, it's just another car. I did some computer work at the Ferrari dealership (FAF motor) a number of years ago. You get so 'used' to being aroung those cars, that you didn't even notice them. Must be they way the service techs see them. That's why mistakes are made. Very similiar to my wife around cars. Not important to her, so she just doesn't pay attention.

Really sorry to hear about your troubles.

James
Old 07-21-2004, 03:13 PM
Senior Members

Well, I'm in Roswell, but take the car to Nalley BMW (formerly Chris BMW) in Decatur. I've never had a bad service experience there, and have a pretty good relationship with my CA.

I think you're right about the whole desensitization thing.

They've been very professional about the whole thing, save the QC on the repair job. I left a message on the Service Manager's VM this afternoon, and I'll continue to leave messages until I speak to him.

-MrB
Old 07-21-2004, 04:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6speed

It was never programmed correctly.

If you put the handset in the cradle and see the unit charging, then the interface has been established. Then iDrive should download data from the phone and screen says "downloading data" & "please wait".

I am less familiar with GSM phones, but I'm guessing you have already done the zip code check at BMW Integrated Phones to be sure that GSM is supported in your area (it is NOT in mine).

What were they doing in your dash ???

Paint scratch/Body damage, non-working phone, smudged headliner, improper dash refit !!! Time to raise some HE!! ...
Old 07-21-2004, 04:58 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Gizmo' date='Jul 21 2004, 06:41 PM
It was never programmed correctly.

If you put the handset in the cradle and see the unit charging, then the interface has been established. Then iDrive should download data from the phone and screen says "downloading data" & "please wait".

I am less familiar with GSM phones, but I'm guessing you have already done the zip code check at BMW Integrated Phones to be sure that GSM is supported in your area (it is NOT in mine).

What were they doing in your dash ???

Paint scratch/Body damage, non-working phone, smudged headliner, improper dash refit !!! Time to raise some HE!! ...
The phone actually charges when put in the cradle; it's done that since I installed the cradle. What it doesn't do is sync with the car.

As to GSM availability, there is a bulletin on the BMWWireless.com site that says that the GSM version of the CPT9000 works on Cingular GSM, T-Mobile, and AT&T Wireless GSM (my carrier of choice).

They were in my dash to replace the module that regulates the steering wheel motor; it wasn't tilting up when I shut the car off, and the seat/mirror memory wasn't remembering the key-specific positions.

I'm pretty pissed, no doubt, but I'm not one to be real confrontational or adversarial. I'll see what happens with a call to the Service Manager. If I don't hear from him tomorrow, then I'll speak to the General Manager. I'm sure that everything will get resolved; I'm pretty patient, too.

-MrB
Old 07-23-2004, 05:26 AM
Senior Members

Quick Update:

After speaking (finally) with the Service Manager and basically, but not explicitly, threatening to lambaste them on the CSI survey, they're coming up to my office to drop off a loaner and take my car back down to the dealership to resolve the issues that I still have remaining.

The customer service thus far has been outstanding, but the technical service is definitely not up to the level that one would expect of BMW. Maybe there's only one tech that knows the E60 and maybe they haven't seen too many come through their service bay, but that's a fairly weak excuse.

I did request an X3 loaner, since we might be getting one for my wife's next vehicle. Hopefully they'll be able to hook me up.

-MrB
Old 07-27-2004, 05:14 AM
Senior Members

Quick Update:

So they came up to my office yesterday and exchanged my 545 with a nice Jet Black X3 2.5 (check out my review in the "Other Models" forum). They will making a 2nd pass at getting the phone to work as well as re-reassembling the dashboard to get rid of the clicks and pops that they introduced after replacing my "Central Switch Center" module.

Hopefully I will have a final resolution today. My CA hemmed and hawed because I didn't send my phone down with the car, so I might have to make a trip down there to test out the phone

-MrB
Old 07-28-2004, 06:23 PM
Senior Members

Quick Update:

So I got the car back today. They re-reprogrammed the TCU to enable the eject box, and were able to make a call using a genuine BMW CPT9000. When I got there to pick up the car and try out my generic GSM v60, all I got was the "Please Wait..." and the signal strength meter went down to nothing.

I set up the "Auto Handsfree" setting on the phone to "On," thinking that that might be part of the reason for the phone/car not sync'ing, but that didn't do the trick, either.

I may have to bite the bullet and get a real CPT9000. I hope not, though.

-MrB
Old 07-29-2004, 10:21 AM

Did the dealer actually use CPT9000 on GSM career?

BTW, have you tried inserting the phone after accepting
i-drive?
Old 07-29-2004, 10:44 AM
Senior Members

I do not know what carrier the tech's phone was on, but I doubt it was GSM. I have a hard time believing that's the problem, since BMW has a GSM CPT9000 that is unlocked to work on AT&T GSM, T-Mobile, and Cingular GSM, and the car's cellular antenna is a tri-mode antenna.

I have tried putting in the phone pre-ignition; post-ignition; and post-"Accept" and get the "Please Wait..." message in all scenarios.

I'm wondering if maybe there is something that has to be done to store stuff on the SIM vs. the phone or vice versa.

-MrB

Quick Reply: CPT9000 EjectBox and Frame DIY