DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

CPT9000 EjectBox and Frame DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 02:15 PM
khl
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbelk' date='Jul 29 2004, 12:44 PM
I do not know what carrier the tech's phone was on, but I doubt it was GSM. I have a hard time believing that's the problem, since BMW has a GSM CPT9000 that is unlocked to work on AT&T GSM, T-Mobile, and Cingular GSM, and the car's cellular antenna is a tri-mode antenna.

-MrB
The only reason we need to make sure that genuine CPT9000 GSM works for your car is because of potentially different software interface which might cause your synchronization failed. Is there anyone using CPT9000 GSM aware of programming difference on TCU? Has anyone tried both GSM and CDMA phones working on a same car?

I always want to try a V60-series GSM on my car (I have a v60s/verizon cdma which works perfectly). I have a T720 and a V66 (triple-band bought in Taiwan) but none of them could fit in my eject box despite their physically similar electrical connectors (maybe there's some adapter available?).

-khl
Old 07-29-2004, 06:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Originally Posted by khl' date='Jul 29 2004, 04:15 PM
The only reason we need to make sure that genuine CPT9000 GSM works for your car is because of potentially different software interface which might cause your synchronization failed. Is there anyone using CPT9000 GSM aware of programming difference on TCU? Has anyone tried both GSM and CDMA phones working on a same car?

I always want to try a V60-series GSM on my car (I have a v60s/verizon cdma which works perfectly). I have a T720 and a V66 (triple-band bought in Taiwan) but none of them could fit in my eject box despite their physically similar electrical connectors (maybe there's some adapter available?).

-khl
From what I understand, the TCU programming is the same regardless. The programming just tells the car that the eject box is there and to listen for connections. I haven't seen or read anything on bmwtis.com or bmwwireless.com that would indicate that the GSM CPT9000 is fundamentally different than the TDMA/CDMA versions when it comes to the data transfer.

FWIW, I poked around in my phone and there is no menu or setting that I could find that allows me to choose whether my phonebook is on the SIM or on the phone itself.

-MrB
Old 07-30-2004, 09:26 AM
Senior Members

So I bit the bullet today and bought a GSM CPT9000 off ebay. Supposedly it's brand new, never been opened. I think I got a decent deal, $394, since the cheapest dealer price I've seen is circlebmw.com where it's $544. Hopefully I will be able to sell a kidney or some plasma or something to cover the cost, since my wife will go ballistic if she finds out.

-MrB
Old 08-03-2004, 05:23 AM
Senior Members

OK. I got the "genuine" article yesterday. It came from California in 3 days, which I found amazing. After inputting all my numbers from the old GSM v60 into the new GSM v60 (the old one didn't support putting numbers on the SIM), I plugged the real deal into the cradle, and VOILA, it worked! It downloaded my full phonebook from the phone memory into the car, and I was able to dial by number. I must not have the latest CIP12.2, since I couldn't use the "DIAL NAME" syntax to get names out of my phonebook. I will try saving some voice tags in the car memory later today.

My current theory on why the generic one didn't work is that either there is something special with the real BMW phones, or that possibly the generic v60 that I got has an incompatible firmware revision loaded. I also noticed that the real CPT9000 has a fully replaceable faceplate, whereas the one I got on Ebay doesn't.

Anyway, my quest is over. Hopefully, Ebay will be my friend and I will be able to unload the generic GSM v60, along with my Nokia 3650 camera phone, to recoup some of the cost of the CPT9000.

-MrB
Old 08-03-2004, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Congrats MB.

FYI, the SAVE NAME function never worked on my early March build car. Now, with 12.2, there's no need for it since you can use DIAL NAME straight from the text entries of the phone's phonebook.

I'll be anxious to know if you can use the save name function...
Old 08-03-2004, 12:30 PM

Congratulations, Mr. B

according to bmwwireless site, CPT9000 phone is v60i which
has GSM triband option available. I am wondering if your v60 GSM
is equivalent to a "v60i". It would be interesting to know if I could
actually use generic v60i if I decide to change to GSM carriers.

The newer CPT9000/CDMA is v60s which is what I am using ("just signed
up from Verizon with $60 and working perfectly").
V60i should have been discontinued but BMW and Mercedes may still
use them for CPT9000 GSM.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:45 PM
Senior Members

I'm not sure that any congratulations are in order; as my experiment to save a couple of hundred dollars failed. I always trusted that genuine BMW equipment would work, and sure enough, it does. I was just hoping that I could get away with using the cheaper, non-BMW stuff.

I do wonder, though, if there's a difference between a v60g GSM phone (which is what my generic phone is), and the BMW v60i GSM.

Who knows. It works now, so my quest is officially over. I just have to find a buyer for my other two phones.

-MrB
Old 08-04-2004, 04:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 3 2004, 08:32 AM
Congrats MB.

FYI, the SAVE NAME function never worked on my early March build car. Now, with 12.2, there's no need for it since you can use DIAL NAME straight from the text entries of the phone's phonebook.

I'll be anxious to know if you can use the save name function...
Actually, I was able to use the new "Speech to Text" functionality to dial a name straight from my address book. It was a two-word name, and it interpreted it just fine.

"Save Name" doesn't work.

-MrB
Old 08-04-2004, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

MrBelk,

What software do you have/think you have? I thought the speech-to-text feature was introduced in 12.x but now, since you implied earlier that you may not have 12, I'm wondering if the feature was on my car earlier and I simply never tried it!!

Can anyone confirm whether "dial name" works without version 12 and without having to store voice tags using "save name" first?
Old 08-04-2004, 06:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 4 2004, 07:10 AM
MrBelk,

What software do you have/think you have? I thought the speech-to-text feature was introduced in 12.x but now, since you implied earlier that you may not have 12, I'm wondering if the feature was on my car earlier and I simply never tried it!!

Can anyone confirm wheter "dial name" works without version 12 and without having to store voice tags using "save name" first?
Oh, I know I have CIP12.x; I just don't know what the "x" is.

Sorry for the confusion.

-MrB

Quick Reply: CPT9000 EjectBox and Frame DIY