DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

CPT9000 EjectBox and Frame DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I was excited to learn that there's a solution to the poor reception problem I'm having on my dealer installed CPT9000. After Gizmo confirmed that the connection does, in fact, make a big difference, I decided to take a look at my car to see if my antenna connection wasn't properly connected.

Well, I guess I have good news and bad news. The good news is that my dealer is on-the-ball and did make the connection when they installed my phone. The bad news is ATT Wireless coverage sucks where I live!
Old 07-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbelk' date='Jul 1 2004, 12:53 PM
[quote name='jksanford' date='Jul 1 2004, 12:44 PM'] Matthew,

Are you happy with the setup?? I'm thinking I'll just go ahead and get a second phone and hook everythign up like you did.? No-one really promised BlueTooth, and my treo600 doesn't have it anyway.?

james
I haven't completed the process yet; need to make an appointment to get the TCU recoded to recognize the eject box.

My reasoning for getting a v60 and the ejectbox is that bluetooth is at least 3 months away (and not guaranteed at that for '04's), and I'm not even sure if my bluetooth phone (Nokia 3650) supports enough of the profiles. I was able to get an unlocked GSM v60 on ebay and the ejectbox/frame from circlebmw.com for a lot less than I could probably get the bluetooth retrofit kit + compatible bluetooth phone + bluetooth phone ejectbox/charger/cradle.

-MrB [/quote]
I Just got back from my dealer who was on the phone with BMW NA the guy on the phone told my dealer that bluetooth should work with BMW assist after 9/04 production and that by 1st Q 05 they would have a fix for the others. He said that he thought that it would be a no charge fix. And that BMW NA would bit the bullet and replace earlier TCU's ..

Giz... How does the eject box work? did you buy the $600 BMW phone ?? do all the functions work ??

I need to do something about the hands free thing.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Senior Members

Guys, if you find connector caps on any one of the connectors that are NOT the antenna leads these are actually the MOST ring connectors. ENSURE you put the caps back on as it is an optical ring and the end of the optics should always be protected... The MOST ring protecter caps also exist in the front of the car (glove box) for the changer. The connector cap there though is different. They should be orderable part numbers for these.

In theroy anything can plug into the MOST connectors that the CCC or MASK have sw support for.

WARNING: NEVER NEVER NEVER bend the optical cables, always give gentle curves to them and no sharp angles if you are reorganizing the cable tie ups. You can break the glass within the cable which means the optical cable is DEAD.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:31 PM
Contributors

Great. So now I've got something else to worry about tonight. They should give an aptitude test before selling a car like this. I shouldn't be allowed to have one. I'm to adventurous.

Have a great weekend, and for the North American's, Happy 4th!
Old 07-03-2004, 02:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6speed

Originally Posted by pbarch1' date='Jul 2 2004, 04:29 PM
Giz... How does the eject box work? did you buy the $600 BMW phone ?? do all the functions work ??

I need to do something about the hands free thing.
The eject box works well. The cradle interface that plugs into phone can be tempermental on occassion. I am using a non-BMW phone (color v60) with ATT service.

The handsfree microphone in the headliner works quite well and is clear (I've called my home answering machine to leave messages).

The iDrive interface is intuitive and works well. The v60 phonebook is downloaded to iDrive when you click the phone into the cradle. Voice command is also nice.

When bluetooth is up and running, I might make the change, but for now this works fine.
Old 07-03-2004, 03:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Anyone figure out how you can answer a call waiting while you're on another call using the CPT9000 with v60?
Old 07-13-2004, 06:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Just an update:

My car is in the shop today having a few things looked at:

1. squeaky clutch pedal
2. squeaky left-rear seat side-bolster (really annoying)
3. seat/steering wheel memory not working and steering wheel not "auto-retracting"
*4. TCU reprogramming for my v60 GSM.

I left the phone with my SA, so we'll see how many "976" calls they make . I asked about CIP12 and he said they will only upgrade if it's called for, but I specifically requested the new software to be loaded. I assume that they would do it to solve the seat memory issues.

I will report on the success/failure of the recoding operation when I get the car back.

-MrB
Old 07-13-2004, 10:20 AM
Senior Members

Quick update:

They have to order a part for the steering wheel retraction issue. I will get the car back tomorrow sometime. Everything else is proceeding as expected...

-MrB
Old 07-13-2004, 12:41 PM
khl
Members

Originally Posted by mrbelk' date='Jul 13 2004, 08:10 AM
*4. TCU reprogramming for my v60 GSM.

I left the phone with my SA, so we'll see how many "976" calls they make . I asked about CIP12 and he said they will only upgrade if it's called for, but I specifically requested the new software to be loaded. I assume that they would do it to solve the seat memory issues.
I paid my dealer to install the eject box and they did not reprogram the TCU. The SA claimed that they had never heard of any non-BMW phone (i.e. other than CPT9000 phone) working with the eject box. I just told them to use any BMW CPT9000 phone (better carrying Verizon CDMA) to verify their installation works since I knew my V60s would work exactly like a CPT9000 phone.

They struggled three days and finally made it work.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by khl' date='Jul 13 2004, 02:41 PM
I paid my dealer to install the eject box and they did not reprogram the TCU. The SA claimed that they had never heard of any non-BMW phone (i.e. other than CPT9000 phone) working with the eject box. I just told them to use any BMW CPT9000 phone (better carrying Verizon CDMA) to verify their installation works since I knew my V60s would work exactly like a CPT9000 phone.

They struggled three days and finally made it work.
Out of curiosity, how much did they hit you for for labor? The guidelines say that it's a 1 hour job, and half of that time is for the TCU reprogramming.

I paid about $135 for the hardware, and it took me a little while to get it all installed.

My CA took my phone and didn't say anything about the fact that it wasn't a BMW branded phone.

-MrB

Quick Reply: CPT9000 EjectBox and Frame DIY