DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

CPT9000 EjectBox and Frame DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 10:03 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Originally Posted by jksanford' date='Jul 1 2004, 11:44 AM
What black plugs? This was just that one little piece, that came off and those two cables just snapped together...

I'l create a 'spare parts' box somewhere myself.

James
Sorry, I mean the black inserts where the red reflectors go. Didn't mean to get you all nervous and stuff.

-Matthew
Old 07-01-2004, 10:04 AM
Contributors

Whew..I was just about to pull the trim back out and see if I missed something.

Since I don't have the phone installed yet, I'm not sure what I did will help with the reception bars that show up in iDrive, but I wanted to see. My understanding is this connects the shark fin to the phone that is in the eject box (I haven't bought it yet--not sure if I should hold out for BlueTooth!)

james
Old 07-01-2004, 10:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jksanford' date='Jul 1 2004, 12:04 PM
Whew..I was just about to pull the trim back out and see if I missed something.

Since I don't have the phone installed yet, I'm not sure what I did will help with the reception bars that show up in iDrive, but I wanted to see. My understanding is this connects the shark fin to the phone that is in the eject box (I haven't bought it yet--not sure if I should hold out for BlueTooth!)

james
I don't really know what it connects. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the cable that connects the eject box to the TCU, and the connection made in the console just connects the eject box to the exposed connector in the trunk.

I say this because there are all those coax-type connectors going into the TCU (one of which is a black housing with magenta clips), and a big bundle going out/in of the TCU on the back/side.

FWIW, I haven't noticed the ASSIST bars any stronger, but when my phone is in the cradle, my phone signal strength is 6/6 bars in my driveway. out of the cradle, I'm lucky to get 3-4/6 bars.

-Matthew
Old 07-01-2004, 10:44 AM
Contributors

Matthew,

Are you happy with the setup? I'm thinking I'll just go ahead and get a second phone and hook everythign up like you did. No-one really promised BlueTooth, and my treo600 doesn't have it anyway.

james
Old 07-01-2004, 10:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jksanford' date='Jul 1 2004, 12:44 PM
Matthew,

Are you happy with the setup? I'm thinking I'll just go ahead and get a second phone and hook everythign up like you did. No-one really promised BlueTooth, and my treo600 doesn't have it anyway.

james
I haven't completed the process yet; need to make an appointment to get the TCU recoded to recognize the eject box.

My reasoning for getting a v60 and the ejectbox is that bluetooth is at least 3 months away (and not guaranteed at that for '04's), and I'm not even sure if my bluetooth phone (Nokia 3650) supports enough of the profiles. I was able to get an unlocked GSM v60 on ebay and the ejectbox/frame from circlebmw.com for a lot less than I could probably get the bluetooth retrofit kit + compatible bluetooth phone + bluetooth phone ejectbox/charger/cradle.

-MrB
Old 07-01-2004, 03:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6speed

Alright !!!

I'll inspect those pics, and try to make the "love'" connection (I'd 'love' this to solve my antenna issues) !!!

The coax cables should not be the TCU hookup (unless I find that mine are already connected), as my phone is integrated with TCU.

Problem is that the handset OUT of the cradle reads 4 bars of signal strength, while IN the crade may read 1 or 2. Result is dropped calls or message of "no service".

Where are the screws that allow removal of the trunk trim and exposure of the cables ?
Old 07-01-2004, 04:22 PM
Contributors

There are two little black plastic screws. I learned the hardware not to get a screwdriver to pry them off. Just turn the plastic piece with the screwdriver, then pull. Don't try to force them off. Once they are out, then lift the mat in the trunk. The piece will just pull off. Goes on just as easy.

james
Old 07-01-2004, 05:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6speed

Piece of cake ...

Made the connection and at first glance this may indeed have solved the problem (dialed out from my covered garage with good signal strength).

Will give it the full road test tomorrow and post results.

BTW, I didn't see the multilead connector, just 1 remaining thin wire with clip connector present. I have Sirius module, so maybe thats where it went ???
Old 07-02-2004, 06:33 AM
Guest_Gizmo

Many thanks to the esteemed MrBelk and jksanford...

I kept a vigilant eye on both the iDrive signal strength bars as well as the one on the v60 this AM. Both were "pinned" at full strength for the entire commute. There is no question that the connection improved my reception and signal strength.

I'm glad that SOMEBODY is actually reading the service/TIS bulletins !!!

Now I'll have to see if this connection has somehow helped the Sirius radio reception which drops out when is a garage or under a large tree !!!
Old 07-02-2004, 06:54 AM
Senior Members

Good to hear that your results confirm our actions, Gizmo. It's doubtful that our little "trick" will help out with your Sirius reception, since I'm pretty sure that all the components with antenna's in the shark fin have their own cable connections.

I have a July 13 appointment to have my squeaky clutch-pedal, non-retracting steering wheel, and a rear seat cushion squeak/rub fixed, as well as have the TCU recoded for the v60. I assume that I will also get the CIP12 software loaded.

I gotta say, I love my 545. I gave the wheels a not-so-quick cleaning yesterday with the Griot's Garage wheel cleaner. It's amazing how much better this car looks with clear wheels. Silver Grey really does a good job of hiding road-grime, too.

-Matthew

Quick Reply: CPT9000 EjectBox and Frame DIY