DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Car Coding

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 04:46 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by BLooD
Bruce did you manage to get some coding done after all?
No, I have been busy with work and had no time to get back to this project.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Had my first success. Got connected and tested via INPA. Connected with NCS, read some modules and saved some trace files.

Tried to program the welcome lights and got an error after the job started to run. The msg referred me to a couple error log files but I havn't been able to find them yet.

Had to quite there - got a battery warning because I didn't hook up a charger.

Any thoughts on where the error logs are?
Old 12-10-2010, 11:54 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

You can read the error logs from within NCS, check the menu bar at the top.

For welcome lights you need to two things:-

Set VA_WELCOMELIGHT to active in CAPPL.
Set WELCOMELIGHT to active in LMA.

The welcome light function seams dependent on the LCM (light control module, LMA in NCS), I have found the function only exists in the second generation LCM which was introduced from around sept-oct 2006.
It may also appear in a first generation LCM with the latest software.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:02 AM
Contributors

It may also appear in a first generation LCM with the latest software.
Hmmm would be good if this was true, Can you update the LCM using progman?
Old 12-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Contributors

Yes via a full update but what level is your software Jay?, If you have any version of ISTA/p or progman V32 then you have the latest.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:14 AM
Contributors

Yes via a full update but what level is your software Jay?, If you have any version of ISTA/p or progman V32 then you have the latest.

A full update?! dam. on the car its v34 I think...its got the newer menu colour... Software I have is now on V38.. I've not tried updating any modules, just played with coding..

Its a shame you can't update / programme an individual module..
Old 12-11-2010, 12:20 AM
Contributors

Progman will insist on a full update which is not advisable via the OBD port. WinKFP on the other hand can update individual modules but if you already have the highest that was available which I suspect you already do then it`s pointless.

I have ISTA/p v39 which was released in October and there's no newer files for the E60, there hasn't been for quite a while.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:27 AM
Contributors

Progman will insist on a full update which is not advisable via the OBD port. WinKFP on the other hand can update individual modules but if you already have the highest that was available which I suspect you already do then it`s pointless.

I have ISTA/p v39 which was released in October and there's no newer files for the E60, there hasn't been for quite a while.
Yea had a feeling this was the case about the ODB port, oh well guess its not meant to be... I've not even tried to use WinKFP, how you getting on with it?
Old 12-11-2010, 12:34 AM
Contributors

Welll I tried to program my KGM and the cable lost the connection, WinKFP stopped at 21% and the whole car froze, at this point im shitting man size bricks. I took of the battery and reconnected it, got partial access to the car, again re-programmed KGM this time it to went 100% and WinKFP verified successful programming, car came alive again, cleared all the errors that came up in DIS and she`s been fine since.

Lesson learnt me thinks, some times we learn the hard way .
Old 12-11-2010, 12:40 AM
Contributors

Welll I tried to program my KGM and the cable lost the connection, WinKFP stopped at 21% and the whole car froze, at this point im shitting man size bricks. I took of the battery and reconnected it, got partial access to the car, again re-programmed KGM this time it to went 100% and WinKFP verified successful programming, car came alive again, cleared all the errors that came up in DIS and she`s been fine since.

Lesson learnt me thinks, some times we learn the hard way .
Brave man! Good to hear you recovered it back..would have been an expensive dealer fix otherwise! Think I will just have to live with the older LCM software

Quick Reply: Car Coding