DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Car Coding

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by Ehssan
I found a solution ( coding + little wiring job but no running wires around the car ) for the NON LCI owners who's interested in having the Angel eyes as DRL , ( for example if you have Orion V2 installed ) , but you should have Bixenon or it will not work well , I've tested it on my LM2 but i found some information for the LM1 too as the following :

1- Enable your high beam as DRL with 80/100% power as the following

for LM1 :

DRL_V_GEDIMMT -> aktiv
DRL_WERT_DIMMUNG -> wert_01

For LM2 :

VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL_33 -> drl_h
PWM_FL_FKT_DRL_33 -> wert_03

2- Enable your flash to pass Bixenon

BI_XENON_BEI_LH -> aktiv
PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON -> wert_03 ( this makes turn on the bixenon even your low beam is off )

3- Disable the cold - hot and check control for the high beam ( H7) , looks like LM1 is different from LM2 , in my LM2 the codes are

KALTUEBERWACHUNG_FL_L -> nicht_aktiv
KALTUEBERWACHUNG_FL_R -> nicht_aktiv
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_FL_L -> nicht_aktiv
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_FL_R -> nicht_aktiv
FEHLERMELDUNG_CC_FL_L -> nicht_aktiv
FEHLERMELDUNG_CC_FL_R -> nicht_aktiv

Or maybe in LM1 will be . not sure so please confirm it guys with LM1

KALTUEBERW_FL_L -> nicht_aktiv
KALTUEBERW_FL_R -> nicht_aktiv
WARMUEBERW_FL_L -> nicht_aktiv
WARMUEBERW_FL_R -> nicht_aktiv
FEHLERMELDUNG_CC_FL_L -> nicht_aktiv
FEHLERMELDUNG_CC_FL_R -> nicht_aktiv

4- You will have to do a small job inside your headlight but you don't need to remove the headlight :

A) Remove your high beam bulb as we don't need it anymore ( it will not work as HIGH beam anyway )
using T tap terminal , link it to the current of the high beam ( + ) , also use a diode right after the T tap terminal to prevent the current from the angel eyes to reach the LMA through the high beam link ,
c) Cut the angel eyes + cable from the connector side and put a diode to prevent the current of the high beam to reach the LMA through the angel eyes link ,,
d) Link the diode from the angel eyes current to the angel eyes power box as well as the link from the T tap which connected to the high beam ..

Result,, your angel eyes works as DRL , it will also work with the low beam at night ..

if you don't have the option for day running light in your I-drive / light menu ,, you can enable it ( DAY_RUN_LIGHT_CCC -> aktiv ) so you can also switch off/on the angel eyes if needed .

Will try to get some pictures to make things clear but you are expert and I?m sure you know what I?m talking about ..

Cheers
This will work, however, a few things. First, I don't believe that in LM1 there is DAY_RUN_LIGHT_CCC. Secondly, if I am understanding correctly, this is only for people with Bixenons. What happens if you are try to activate high beams in the day time when the low beams are off? Would it be more or less ineffective due to the HID needing to warm up? Though I doubt many people do flash their highs often enough, this could potentially result in unnecessary wear on the low beam bulbs?

Now, as for drawing the power from DRL. Someone explain this to me, does pre-LCI DRL remain on during night time? I thought that it only is on during daytime -- hence DAYLIGHT running light. So even if you have LM2 and is able to turn on/off DRL, in effect, your AE's would still be off?

Lastly, if you do the above, you'll get a gaping hole for where the bulb used to be. That... would look weird to me.

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
Ehssan,

I also saw the folks at e90post also found a way to use AE as DRL but w/o wire hacking, I wonder if e60 have similar setting in the TRC to choose which light to be the DRL.

It seems to be = VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL -> drl_s (default is drl_h which is high beam) if I understand them correctly.

--RR.
Blasti, can you link to that thread? The last time I checked that board, I was still under the impression that it is not possible, and they have found no values that can do that for pre-LCI.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Simon,

Sure, it's here = http://www.e90post.c...=451145&page=71 -> page #71 starting on post #1549, may not be for pre-LCI... I'm not sure.

Have fun & GL!

--RR.

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
[...]
Blasti, can you link to that thread? The last time I checked that board, I was still under the impression that it is not possible, and they have found no values that can do that for pre-LCI.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

in LCM2 the angel eyes would still run but would be dimmed to half brightness at night if what he is saying enacts LCI-like DRL's.

During the LCI headlight retrofit you have to move two wires on the LCM that go to the halos - I wonder if doing that without +MUEB in the FA would allow the same functionality...

See:

Dismantle plug X12 from the light module and reconnect
the cables as follows:

? pin 25, GR/GN, to pin 63

? pin 40, GR/BL, to pin 11
Old 02-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My pre LCI LMA does not have VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL so another value must determine the main beams....
Old 02-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
Simon,

Sure, it's here = http://www.e90post.c...=451145&page=71 -> page #71 starting on post #1549, may not be for pre-LCI... I'm not sure.

Have fun & GL!

--RR.
Well, I haven't read that link yet, but from what you're saying, I am pretty positive that it's for LCI. In LCI's there's a value for angel eyes, and I know what that is (but it's irrelevant since LCI can activate it as DRL anyway). I have personally disabled angel eyes check for LCI's to remove the need for resistors.

The issue at hand is that there's no known value for pre-LCI angel eyes that can be substituted into the DRL entry.

edit: Humm shoot, I just read it, and the guy says it is pre-LCI for his E90. Weird. Well, I will take a look when I get a chance, I don't believe that we have those values in LMA, so his find is still moot to us E60s.

edit 2: I stand corrected. I just checked out the LMA files I have backed up from a couple different cars, and VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL does exist for E60s.

For the two pre-LCI's I have records of, the values are drl_h. I also have the value for a LCI M5 that had the value drl_s. However! His entry was not VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL, it was VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL_33.

Someone should run NCSDummy to see if drl_s is an acceptable value for pre-LCIs.

One other note. I don't believe that VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL exist for non-xenon cars. I don't have it on my LMA.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:34 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I haven't read that link yet, but from what you're saying, I am pretty positive that it's for LCI. In LCI's there's a value for angel eyes, and I know what that is (but it's irrelevant since LCI can activate it as DRL anyway). I have personally disabled angel eyes check for LCI's to remove the need for resistors.

The issue at hand is that there's no known value for pre-LCI angel eyes that can be substituted into the DRL entry.

edit: Humm shoot, I just read it, and the guy says it is pre-LCI for his E90. Weird. Well, I will take a look when I get a chance, I don't believe that we have those values in LMA, so his find is still moot to us E60s.

edit 2: I stand corrected. I just checked out the LMA files I have backed up from a couple different cars, and VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL does exist for E60s.

For the two pre-LCI's I have records of, the values are drl_h. I also have the value for a LCI M5 that had the value drl_s. However! His entry was not VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL, it was VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL_33.

Someone should run NCSDummy to see if drl_s is an acceptable value for pre-LCIs.

One other note. I don't believe that VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL exist for non-xenon cars. I don't have it on my LMA.
I have an 08 E90 pre-LCI and I was able to do this by setting it to the following:

VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL
tfl_s

That is straight from my NFRM and it is working for sure. No dimming at night. I do have bi-xenon and idrive.

Just wanted to give you a heads up. Good luck on those E60's!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Many BMW's

I've check the value of the code on ncsdummy and I've tested them all ,

VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL_33
drl_tfl_off daytime running lights disabled
drl_s didn't do anything
drl_h High beam
drl_l Low beam + tailight + angel eyes .
tfl_s didn't do anything

nomis_nehc : if the car has bixenon , then even during the day and the lights are off , the bixenon will work ( low beam + shouter will open ) and the xenon is fast to work , I'm quite happy with the bixenon , i do flash like maybe 10 times a minute ,, if you consider the life time of the xenon bulb as an issue ,, then I have no comment .. but if there is no bixenon , then I said that my solution will not work ..

I'll be testing the codes as the guy mentioned in e90post and keep you updated ,, in a few minutes

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1572
Old 02-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Contributors

Is yours _33? Or without?

The one I pulled that has _33 was a LCI.

Now, the drl_s seems to be what is activating the AE for the E9x people. If this doesn't seem to work for the E60, that seems like another dead end, lol.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:00 AM
Contributors

Is yours _33? Or without?

The one I pulled that has _33 was a LCI.

Now, the drl_s seems to be what is activating the AE for the E9x people. If this doesn't seem to work for the E60, that seems like another dead end, lol.
yes mine is _33 ( LM2 ) , i've checked the e90 post ,, some of them have failed with the project ,, so will give it one more try now and see if any other values can change something ,, if not ,,then for me I have my solution mentioned before ..
Old 02-22-2011, 01:24 AM
Contributors

Update : drl_s doesn't do anything , so I'm stick to my method ,, I'm just waiting for my replacement kit of Orion V2 so that I can go a head and complete the project ..

Quick Reply: Car Coding