DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Car Coding

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

I checked it through NCS Dummy as well. Is it pretty safe to say that it's always correct as it's reading and outputting possible factory values?

That being the case, I guess this is a different entry than for us E60 guys.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question - if I invest in the tools listed in this thread, apart from being able to set options, will I have the ability to 'update' the various firmware / software(s) for the car like for example a newer version of software that improves the automatic box's jerky behaviour etc?

Thanks
Old 02-09-2011, 08:44 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Many BMW's

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
I checked it through NCS Dummy as well. Is it pretty safe to say that it's always correct as it's reading and outputting possible factory values?

That being the case, I guess this is a different entry than for us E60 guys.
i'm not sure if NCSdummy is 100% accurate but so far it always give me all the values available in the trc files , NCSdummy reads all the information and possible values from the daten files in the NCS folder , so I'm really confident with the results and sometimes you might bwe lucky to get some translation as well , it will take you less than a minute to read any trc file on NCSdummy but you really need to make sure you choose the right module model .

so basically either we can't have the double hazard on our E60's or the double hazard is in different code ..let's keep looking around
Old 02-09-2011, 11:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Originally Posted by Chazaxl
Quick question - if I invest in the tools listed in this thread, apart from being able to set options, will I have the ability to 'update' the various firmware / software(s) for the car like for example a newer version of software that improves the automatic box's jerky behaviour etc?

Thanks
Yes you can but over the OBD port some modules can take hours to program so you will need a good quality battery charger with at least 20amps at 14v.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BLooD
Yes you can but over the OBD port some modules can take hours to program so you will need a good quality battery charger with at least 20amps at 14v.
Thanks - is there a proper list of the available modules? How do the dealerships do the changes if not via the ODB port? Is what I think is called Progman 'freely' available?
Old 02-09-2011, 11:30 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Chazaxl
Thanks - is there a proper list of the available modules? How do the dealerships do the changes if not via the ODB port? Is what I think is called Progman 'freely' available?
In the glove box is a closed port in the fibre optic data line, they open the port and connect a high speed data connector to it and flash program the modules from there. Progman is and has been floating around the net for a long time, when you get to 10 posts PM me and I will sort you out with every thing you need, you will need to get a D-can INPA/ediabas OBD2 usb cable and have a half decent laptop available.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BLooD
In the glove box is a closed port in the fibre optic data line, they open the port and connect a high speed data connector to it and flash program the modules from there. Progman is and has been floating around the net for a long time, when you get to 10 posts PM me and I will sort you out with every thing you need, you will need to get a D-can INPA/ediabas OBD2 usb cable and have a half decent laptop available.
Thanks. At present my local indy that I use want I think around £65 to do an update for me which address the gearbox's gear changes etc. It seems that the cable alone will cost that - then again, if its a longer term thing I dont mind paying a bit more so that I can play.

Do you know if the module for the gearbox requires me to have a battery charger? Is there a list of available modules that can be flashed and what the latest versions are?

Thanks
Old 02-09-2011, 11:58 PM
Contributors

Dont matter if the module is big or small, dont flash any module with out a battery charger its as simple as that, if your battery goes flat and the car goes into emergency shut down thats the module down the toilet.

There isnt a definite list as it depends on the options fitted, as for the latest software that could be ISTA/p v42, progman is no longer used by the service centers. I have v40.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Members

Thanks. I checked my version with the idrive button 'trick' and it doesnt show a CIP number as I suspected from another thread but many modules for the various options (car is 545i SE with almost all options) but at the bottom was what I believe the be one of the main modules:-

E60 - something - need to check my phone for the image ...
Old 02-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Members

At the top of the menu:-

Build Mar 26 2004 c: h:5.21.5

The last info in the menu at the bottom:-

E60 I-06-04-500 PL2 I-4-45 MASK MMI T

Does this mean anything?

Quick Reply: Car Coding