DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Battery Registration

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07' 550i Black Sapphire Metallic | Sport Package and Premium Package | Nav|Black Dakota Leather | Maple Anthracite Wood | PDC | Comfort Access | Steptronic | Logice 7 | Active Roll Stabilization | Active Steering

People don't get your panties in a wad If you didn't care about the technical details behind that appliance you drive around with the BMW logo on it, why bother posting another battery thread about what the dealer did?? We have read countless debates on the battery registration issue but none of them had a tech chime in with their knowledge (thanks paulie). I personally appreciate a good technical debate if it surfaces new information...if you don't then there are plenty of other threads about body kits, wheels and led lights out there for your reading pleasure
Old 07-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by gmethod
People don't get your panties in a wad If you didn't care about the technical details behind that appliance you drive around with the BMW logo on it, why bother posting another battery thread about what the dealer did?? We have read countless debates on the battery registration issue but none of them had a tech chime in with their knowledge (thanks paulie). I personally appreciate a good technical debate if it surfaces new information...if you don't then there are plenty of other threads about body kits, wheels and led lights out there for your reading pleasure
This is the kind of discussion that sets this forum apart from other forums. It is both technical and fun.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pauliehcfr
Voltage regulators do not tell that the battery is fully charged. They do just what their name implies....regulate voltage so that the alternator does not overcharge the battery. They maintain a constant voltage output to charge the battery and maintain that voltage so it doesn't overcharge. BTW where did you get your automotive certification from again?
Well, in the same accord, if the sensor was truly intelligent, shouldn't it be able to sense when the battery is new?
Old 09-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 08 535i stock. wifes car 07 x5 stock

So wait,....... Do I need to register my new battery or not?
Old 10-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by DrumGuruEC
I recently replaced my OEM battery (Group 95R 850CCA) with a Group 49 900CCA AGM battery from BatteriesPlus. After I installed it (btw, it was totally plug and play, fit perfectly) I called my SA to make an appointment to have it "registered", per TIS instructions. My SA couldn't understand why I wanted to have the battery registered, even after I read him the battery replacement procedure from the TIS. He told me to save myself $135 and not bother bringing in my car unless any malfunction indicators were on. Guess what? It's been a month and I have had absolutely no problems with the new battery. Something tells me that this "battery registration" business is a bunch of bullcrap. Just my two cents.
I tend to agree with you. Did alot of reading and chose not too. Ask BMW to do it and they refused (as I installed my own battery - not a AGM battery, rather a spec'd Bosch)

So in the fours months after this, I've had two problems. My fuel test vacuum pump fails ($150 DIY) and now my passenger airbag seat map seems to have failed. That said, both fails are not that uncommmon. A few more of these might see me regretting the no AGM and battery registration.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

For those that have a working version of INPA the battery registration on E60 can be accomplished by following these steps:

From Main Menu GO TO: E60 > Engine > MSD 80.0 > Status Analog/Digital (F5) > IBS - Powermanagement (F5) > Batterietaush registrierne (F5)(battery registration in German).

I hope this helps anyone looking for this information especially if you have a later model car (post 2005).
Old 11-20-2011, 12:17 AM
New Members

People, People, People!!! Do yourselves a HUGE favor and get your batteries registered. Long story short heres my story on bimmerfest, #55.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=545684&page=3
Old 11-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

I visited a friend recently. His company works on power management and power measurement systems. They happened to be involved in designing and testing said systems for a high-end automobile manufacturer (which shall remain nameless) which manufactures conventional and electric vehicles.

A battery built to spec will have predictable performance (profiles). These various battery profiles (capacity, AGM, lead acid) are utilized by monitoring battery charging and battery drain to calculate available battery power at any given time. Keep in mind that battery or battery arrays are dumb or passive. Batteries themselves do not communicate their capacity. Power management systems do that.

In the case of BMW, power management systems are needed because modern automobiles have relatively high drain in sleep mode. The power management system will inform the vehicle when critical low power is being approached, before the voltage becomes critically low, so that the vehicle has the option of shutting down non-essential control modules when the vehicle is parked (not running). The idea is to keep enough power on hand to unlock doors and start the vehicle, and to extend battery life (which some of you have stated is engineering overkill).

If one uses other batteries, the battery profiles utilized by BMW may or may not match the battery's actual performance in reality. If a battery replacement event is not registered, the new battery may or may not perform optimally. Your mileage / battery life will vary.

If one's driving area is within populated areas, or the new battery warranty is generous, then a battery replacement, if needed, is not an issue at all. If one's vehicle has to start every time (e.g. often parked for days at airport, critical responder, makes frequent trips many miles away from home / nearest BMW Center), one might consider using a specified BMW battery and register the battery replacement for peace of mind.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Members

I agree with both sides of the debate here. I speak from experience. Regarding the specific chassis' with PMS(power management system) if you are using an expensive(marked up)OEM branded battery then it is best to register it with the IBS to optimize your battery. Dealers will in most cases do it for free when you buy a new battery from them. It involves Registering the battery AS WELL as a histogram reset. This is not a must do. If you are replacing your OE battery with a different type OE (ie AGM,) then it is probably best to let the car know you made a change the battery type. This is not a must do. However, you spent quite a bit of money on an OE battery and it can last you upwards of about 5 years (estimated). But if can also last you for 1 year. It depends.

If you are go to replace with an equivalent aftermarket battery like many of our customers then you probably did not pay much for the battery (which probably came from the same JC plant as the OE) and it has a 2-3 year warranty on it. So you have to do the math on which is feasible for you. We personally have customers who have took IBS physically out of the equation and they're loyal customers so we see them often. They have had no issues whatsoever for the past 4-5 years. When asked if we can do this for a customer, we will do it with a liability waiver. Just how business works.

We also register aftermarket batteries after letting the vehicle know we've changed AH or type. We've never had a customer with any issues. Each will have to make his own choice regarding this. If you want to prolong your battery it is a wise choice. If you have a cheap battery that you can simply replace every 3 yrs or so IF it fails, you do not have to do this. Again, the choice is on the individual. Everybody's situation differs from the next guy's.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i 2006 330i 2006 325i 2007 X3

I just replaced my battery with a AC Delco one with OEM specs. Didn't register right away to see what would happen. Drove about 500-700 KM's had 1 fault code come up. Battery wasn't charging and there was low power as quoted before. The car will shut down certain modules. I lost the "auto" climate control.
Suffice to say, I went to register the battery a week later at a BMW Indy shop. Tech told me that I did have a few more faults registered by the car computer due to the new battery.
Tech told me its best to register to get the max efficiency from the battery and max life out of the battery.

I figure register the battery, but u don't need a OEM battery so u can save some bucks there.

My quote from BMW to replace with OEM battery & Register was over $500 Cdn

Aftermarket battery/install/labor $200 - register battery $50