DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Battery Registration

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 01:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

AS I READ BEFORE ON DIFFERENT FORUMS, THE BATTERY NEEDS TO BE REGISTERED AFTER REPLACMENT.MY QUESTION IS THAT, SHOULD THIS PROCCESS TAKES PLACE

EXCLUSIVELY AT THE BMW DEALER, OR A MECHANIC WITH THE PROPER DIAGNOSTIC TOOL (SCANNER) CAN DO THE JOB?
Old 01-14-2010, 07:13 AM
Senior Members

i would be interested in the same thing..
Old 01-14-2010, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Does this help?:

https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=84326
Old 01-17-2010, 08:54 AM
Senior Members

Thanks Rudy!
Old 02-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Members

FYI. After reading several threads of registration required or not, I figured I would replace myself and if I had issues I'd take it in to the dealer. Went to Batteries Plus, bought the Rayovac SLI95RH9, swapped out the battery, and every things good, no error msgs.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:59 PM
Members

it isn't whether or not you'll get an error message. the intelligent battery sensor charges the battery based on its condition. i.e. state of charge, age, temperature and so on. over time the battery needs to be charged more aggressively due to the deterioration of the battery. if you do not register the battery as being new, it will continue to charge the battery at too high a rate, ultimately "cooking" the battery due to overcharging. any independant shop with the tool can do it
Old 03-21-2010, 03:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6sp,

Originally Posted by pauliehcfr
it isn't whether or not you'll get an error message. the intelligent battery sensor charges the battery based on its condition. i.e. state of charge, age, temperature and so on. over time the battery needs to be charged more aggressively due to the deterioration of the battery. if you do not register the battery as being new, it will continue to charge the battery at too high a rate, ultimately "cooking" the battery due to overcharging. any independant shop with the tool can do it
Sounds like an unintelligent battery sensor. If it is actually sensing anything it should be able to tell the state of the battery right? Why would you have to tell it that it's a new battery? My local dealer gave me all that nonsense too and was trying to tell me that their "intelligent diagnostics" told them there was nothing wrong with my battery even after 3 repeated failures. That "reprogramming" story is their sales pitch to try to sell an overpriced part and labor to gullible BMW owners. Ask to see the diagnostic procedure for battery test and the reset procedure....they couldn't produce either after having my car for a total of 5 days and telling me there was nothing wrong with the battery. I showed them the battery drained to less than 8 volts in just 20 seconds with the lights on. When I did they backed down and replaced my battery under warranty....4 years and 43,000 miles. That was the last time I went to the dealer for anything.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by fryeje
Sounds like an unintelligent battery sensor. If it is actually sensing anything it should be able to tell the state of the battery right? Why would you have to tell it that it's a new battery? My local dealer gave me all that nonsense too and was trying to tell me that their "intelligent diagnostics" told them there was nothing wrong with my battery even after 3 repeated failures. That "reprogramming" story is their sales pitch to try to sell an overpriced part and labor to gullible BMW owners. Ask to see the diagnostic procedure for battery test and the reset procedure....they couldn't produce either after having my car for a total of 5 days and telling me there was nothing wrong with the battery. I showed them the battery drained to less than 8 volts in just 20 seconds with the lights on. When I did they backed down and replaced my battery under warranty....4 years and 43,000 miles. That was the last time I went to the dealer for anything.

What kind of problems were you having with a weak battery? Car would not start, error messages.....
Just want to know what to look for when this thing happens to me.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by fryeje
Oh, I'm sorry. Where is your BMW factory training certificate?? That's what I thought. Mine is right here....When they test the battery, it has nothing to do with the intelligent battery sensor. They are actually load testing the battery or checking the specific gravity of the acid in the battery with a separate tool to determine the state of the battery. As far as diagnostics, they probably performed a quick test and recovered 0 faults. The battery fault would register in the DME as well as store all kinds of faults for voltage issues in other control modules. The battery sensor monitors the condition of the battery and adjusts the charging of the battery based on what it detects. An older battery will not hold a charge as well as a new one, therefore it needs to be charged at a slightly higher amperage rate to maintain the same state of charge as when it was new. When you install a new battery, the car does not know this and will continue to charge at a higher amperage rate, therby overcharging a new battery and ruining it eventually. You essentially need to "reset" the battery sensor so that it charges the battery at a lower rate. Just another instance of a Monday morning quarterback who has all the answers regarding pertaining to something they think they have some knowledge about. Your battery was probably crap because it was 4 years old and not maintained well. Batteries typically only last 5 years if they are maintained.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

if this charging system is so intelligent, then why cant it tell when the battery is fully charged? even old school voltage regulators can do that.

Quick Reply: Battery Registration