DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Battery Registration

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 09:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turboawd
if this charging system is so intelligent, then why cant it tell when the battery is fully charged? even old school voltage regulators can do that.
Voltage regulators do not tell that the battery is fully charged. They do just what their name implies....regulate voltage so that the alternator does not overcharge the battery. They maintain a constant voltage output to charge the battery and maintain that voltage so it doesn't overcharge. BTW where did you get your automotive certification from again?
Old 03-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

so if i take the battery out, wouldnt this battery monitor sense the loss of power? and reset to the new battery when installed?
Old 03-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

so if i take the battery out, wouldnt this battery monitor sense the loss of power? and reset to the new battery when installed?
Why would it be correct for the car to assume a new battery was installed? Batteries get disconnected quite often during servicing, etc. Resetting to a "new" battery just because power was disconnected would not be "intelligent" at all...
Old 03-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Members

It won't reset just because the battery is disconnected because the memory is still maintained in the control modules. The battery sensor monitors the state of charge of the battery while the engine is running. The same way that if you have a check engine light, airbag light, or any other fault, they don't go away when you disconnect and reconnect the battery.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Well paulie why don't you tell us do it yourselfers how to reset the module?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Blacked out 530i, Carbon Fiber Pillars, Carbon Fiber Emblems (Wheels, Steering Wheel and Hood/Trunk). Blacked out kidney Grill, Smoked side marker lights, 15mm Rear Spacers, K&N Filter, Window Tint, Navigon Syst. Breyton Front Lip. Bilistein Coil Over Suspension Front & Rear Droped 1.5" Genuine M5 Pedal set. Mtechnik side skirts, RPI Exhaust.

Dude! I swapped the battery out on my 04 530i my self and there is NO need for any sort of programing or scanning of any kind. Oh and by the way, the batteries that BMW Stealerships use are made by Interstate, so unless you want to go spend a huge buck on a BMW stamped battery, i suggest you contact your local Firestone dealer and purchase the interstate battery for you model vehicle so you can save your self at the minimum $150 - $200.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6sp,

Originally Posted by pauliehcfr
Oh, I'm sorry. Where is your BMW factory training certificate?? That's what I thought. Mine is right here....When they test the battery, it has nothing to do with the intelligent battery sensor. They are actually load testing the battery or checking the specific gravity of the acid in the battery with a separate tool to determine the state of the battery. As far as diagnostics, they probably performed a quick test and recovered 0 faults. The battery fault would register in the DME as well as store all kinds of faults for voltage issues in other control modules. The battery sensor monitors the condition of the battery and adjusts the charging of the battery based on what it detects. An older battery will not hold a charge as well as a new one, therefore it needs to be charged at a slightly higher amperage rate to maintain the same state of charge as when it was new. When you install a new battery, the car does not know this and will continue to charge at a higher amperage rate, therby overcharging a new battery and ruining it eventually. You essentially need to "reset" the battery sensor so that it charges the battery at a lower rate. Just another instance of a Monday morning quarterback who has all the answers regarding pertaining to something they think they have some knowledge about. Your battery was probably crap because it was 4 years old and not maintained well. Batteries typically only last 5 years if they are maintained.
Paulie, I apologize if my ignorance offends you. My fault for not researching before giving my opinion....which continues with the following:

If this sensor is doing any good then it should extend the life of a battery well beyond a typical failure range or it is simply a matter of over engineering with no significant payback as a result. The battery in my car was maintained by the intelligent battery system and factory Certified BMW technicians for 4 years and 43,000 miles and evidently that was not enough to significantly extend the battery life. In the 5 days (repeat FIVE DAYS) they had my car, the (Certified BMW Factory Trained Technicians) did not load test the battery or they would have seen the results that I showed them in 20 seconds. Not to discount your training, nor to excuse my lack of thoroughly researching the topic, I suppose it's a good thing I decided to quit working on cars for a living (started at age 9 working for my Dad) and get my BSEE because I'm obviously not qualified to be a BMW repair Technician as sound logic does not appear to be a requirement. It also does not take an MBA (my other degree) to understand that is highly unlikely (again my opinion) that there is a significant payback in extending the life of a battery to justify the cost of designing and implementing an intelligent battery charging system.

If your fellow BMW factory trained technicians here can not correctly diagnose a battery failure in five days of shop time then is it their training, the poor documentation of the procedure, or just lack of concern for serving their customer? Regardless of the cause, if that simple test surpassed their troubleshooting ability and the capability of BMW diagnostics then there is very little I would trust them to do on a car that carries my family and I. I hope that my experience is the exception not the norm for most customers or your BMW factory training certificate won't be worth much in a few years.

Again, my apologies for not better researching before posting.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

For what its worth, I had a bad battery at only 12,000 and 1 year. Went completely dead. I called the BMW roadside assistance number and they sent a BMW technician to my house. He replaced the battery free of charge and told me I had to bring it in to the dealer to have the car reset to know it had a new battery. Again, no charge.

So, they did this with no cash from me. Seems it must be required if they are willing to do it for only the small amount they may have received from BMW NA for the reset.

Just my two cents on the issue. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6sp,

Originally Posted by 2002
What kind of problems were you having with a weak battery? Car would not start, error messages.....
Just want to know what to look for when this thing happens to me.
Car would not start after programming the iDrive with key on in the driveway for 15 minutes. Two other times car would not start after listening to radio while reading owners manual to find out how to program Bluetooth phone sync. battery would charge while driving but would not supply current to load without alternator (car not running). Quick check with a voltmeter - check battery voltage all off. Should be ~12 volts (+/- .1v or so) With only headlights on battery should drop no more than a few tenths of a volt for as much as an hour. If battery is weak it will consistently drop in voltage the longer you leave lights on. If it's less than 10 volts in a few minutes your in trouble and may be on its way out. I would buy an interstate battery and ask Paulie how to reset the IBS. Better yet, if it's under warranty make sure the dealer replaces it, and resets the battery sensor as required.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:03 AM
Members

Well paulie why don't you tell us do it yourselfers how to reset the module?
The only way to reset the IBS is if you have a diagnostic tool that supports this function, i.e. dealer equipment or a good independant shop. The sam goes for any other control module. You used to be able to disconnect the battery and erase the fault memory of control modules, but now the memory is maintained even if the battery is disconnected. It has to do with the type of memory similar to your home computer.

Quick Reply: Battery Registration