DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Battery Registration

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paulie your are absolutely right from an electrical engineering prospective that the voltage regulator keep voltage from steering off course which could account for voltage drops, but how can we register, reset or reprogram the battery ourselves if we want to install an new battery or can we get a new install battery at any auto repair shop and not have to go straight to the dealer .Any more information you give on this matter would be greatly appreciated and thank you for your time to explain
Old 03-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Members

Any independant shop with the tools can do it for a reasonable fee less than the dealer. If you have the money, you can purchase your own scanner that has the capability to reset the IBS as well as read and clear faults. I had seen one mentioned on here. I think it was Bavtech
Old 03-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i. Built 5/2005. Bought by me 7/2008. Olivin Green, beige interior; 6MT; sport package; cold weather package; premium sound package; xenon lights; PDC; rear shades.
Model Year: 2006

I recently replaced my OEM battery (Group 95R 850CCA) with a Group 49 900CCA AGM battery from BatteriesPlus. After I installed it (btw, it was totally plug and play, fit perfectly) I called my SA to make an appointment to have it "registered", per TIS instructions. My SA couldn't understand why I wanted to have the battery registered, even after I read him the battery replacement procedure from the TIS. He told me to save myself $135 and not bother bringing in my car unless any malfunction indicators were on. Guess what? It's been a month and I have had absolutely no problems with the new battery. Something tells me that this "battery registration" business is a bunch of bullcrap. Just my two cents.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pauliehcfr
The battery sensor monitors the condition of the battery and adjusts the charging of the battery based on what it detects.
If this statement is accurate, then the sensor should be able to reset itself when it detects a new battery.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 07' 550i Black Sapphire Metallic | Sport Package and Premium Package | Nav|Black Dakota Leather | Maple Anthracite Wood | PDC | Comfort Access | Steptronic | Logice 7 | Active Roll Stabilization | Active Steering

Originally Posted by pauliehcfr
Oh, I'm sorry. Where is your BMW factory training certificate?? That's what I thought. Mine is right here....When they test the battery, it has nothing to do with the intelligent battery sensor. They are actually load testing the battery or checking the specific gravity of the acid in the battery with a separate tool to determine the state of the battery. As far as diagnostics, they probably performed a quick test and recovered 0 faults. The battery fault would register in the DME as well as store all kinds of faults for voltage issues in other control modules. The battery sensor monitors the condition of the battery and adjusts the charging of the battery based on what it detects. An older battery will not hold a charge as well as a new one, therefore it needs to be charged at a slightly higher amperage rate to maintain the same state of charge as when it was new. When you install a new battery, the car does not know this and will continue to charge at a higher amperage rate, therby overcharging a new battery and ruining it eventually. You essentially need to "reset" the battery sensor so that it charges the battery at a lower rate. Just another instance of a Monday morning quarterback who has all the answers regarding pertaining to something they think they have some knowledge about. Your battery was probably crap because it was 4 years old and not maintained well. Batteries typically only last 5 years if they are maintained.
Thanks for the insight as to how BMW troubleshoots the battery. I do, however, have some doubts about the logic (not yours but the "engineering" behind the system) in your post above. If the charger/battery system indeed has a "sensor" that calibrates the charger to account for the state of charge of the battery or even aga, then going to the dealer and resetting the battery makes no sense. The "sensor" should be able to distiguish between a new battery and a not so new. It's not so much about charging but rate of discharge, initially. New batteries are capable of delivering a certain power quality (which is the key design parameter for sensitive electrical equipment) over a period of time. Old batteries can not deliver the same power quality over the same period of time. That's where the charging level comes in...but a properly designed sensor should be able to deduct that much. Sensitive power equipment will malfuntion if the power quality drops below a certain level...which is why the car will store data for a specific event (voltage at a specific time for example). If the charger is not that sophisticated then I see the reason why the battery needs to be registered. I still don't understand why BMW decided to go this way as it is truly inferior but that's a debate for another day. My local dealer tried to feed me all kinds of nonsense when the battery of my 07 550 failed at 32K miles!! I simply handed the service manager one of my business cards and explained to him what I do for a living....wait for it....I'm an engineer specialized in aircraft electrical subsystems....but most importantly, batteries and their chargers are one of my specialties. I have the equipment at home to do all kinds of fun battery tests. Needless to say, I got my money back for the replacement battery. Thanks for your constructive input.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

All this talk about it being needed or not is completely a waste of time isn't it? Did anyone actually read my post above? Or are you all to busy trying to prove that you're the smartest engineer in the world?

Obviously it needs to be reset - they did it for me for FREE! Why would they do that if it didn't need done?. You won't get any errors if you don't, and it will work fine for awhile, but over time the life of the new battery will be degraded. What don't you guys understand about that, I don't get it. Why not just get it done and forget about it. If its a money issue, then don't get it done and pay for another battery in a shorter time span. But all this mumbo jumbo about electrical systems and why it does or doesn't do this or that is just annoying. I know, so don't read it, right - just go on to the next thread and ignore this. Because I don't want to and I want to throw out my two cents on the matter for those that read this in the future.

You can coulda, shoulda, woulda anything to death - I think you have reached that level with this thread. Again, it NEEDS to be reset according to BMW and their documentation. You WON'T get any errors if you don't. Your new battery life MAY be affected if you don't. Your new battery life WILL PROBABLY be extended if you do. What DON'T you get? Jesus.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Members

bha: I'm personally not interested in how the dealer solved your battery problem since you don't seem to care either.

The discussion on this thread is to learn about the car's energy management and the role that the IBS plays in it.
No one has been able to articulate the reason for having to "reset something" when the battery is replaced. No need to participate if this is a waste of time for any one.

For the rest, I'm attaching a document that explains energy management, with the hope we can all learn something.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
inteligent_battery_sensor.pdf (2.97 MB, 305 views)
Old 04-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

Originally Posted by waelfarhat
Hi All,

AS I READ BEFORE ON DIFFERENT FORUMS, THE BATTERY NEEDS TO BE REGISTERED AFTER REPLACMENT.MY QUESTION IS THAT, SHOULD THIS PROCCESS TAKES PLACE

EXCLUSIVELY AT THE BMW DEALER, OR A MECHANIC WITH THE PROPER DIAGNOSTIC TOOL (SCANNER) CAN DO THE JOB?

Too lazy to read through the whole thread, but this is utter bullsh*t!

I installed a battery in my 645 last year (exact same spec/amp etc). Had no issues what so ever. I just had to reactivate active steering, and I was good to go. Coding, or registration is BS, they are trying to make an extra pathetic buck.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bha7176
All this talk about it being needed or not is completely a waste of time isn't it? Did anyone actually read my post above? Or are you all to busy trying to prove that you're the smartest engineer in the world?

Obviously it needs to be reset - they did it for me for FREE! Why would they do that if it didn't need done?. You won't get any errors if you don't, and it will work fine for awhile, but over time the life of the new battery will be degraded. What don't you guys understand about that, I don't get it. Why not just get it done and forget about it. If its a money issue, then don't get it done and pay for another battery in a shorter time span. But all this mumbo jumbo about electrical systems and why it does or doesn't do this or that is just annoying. I know, so don't read it, right - just go on to the next thread and ignore this. Because I don't want to and I want to throw out my two cents on the matter for those that read this in the future.

You can coulda, shoulda, woulda anything to death - I think you have reached that level with this thread. Again, it NEEDS to be reset according to BMW and their documentation. You WON'T get any errors if you don't. Your new battery life MAY be affected if you don't. Your new battery life WILL PROBABLY be extended if you do. What DON'T you get? Jesus.
+1
Old 04-02-2010, 04:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Originally Posted by ptabaco
bha: I'm personally not interested in how the dealer solved your battery problem since you don't seem to care either.

The discussion on this thread is to learn about the car's energy management and the role that the IBS plays in it.
No one has been able to articulate the reason for having to "reset something" when the battery is replaced. No need to participate if this is a waste of time for any one.

For the rest, I'm attaching a document that explains energy management, with the hope we can all learn something.

Buddy, not sure what field your in, but its not right or center. They solved my battery problem by replacing my battery and registering it for free. So problem solved, right? What's left to know? I don't care about the details in this case as it was done for free all around and they insisted that I bring it in, pick up a free loaner, and let them register my battery. Again, why would they do that if it didn't need done?

And regarding your comment, "The discussion on this thread is to learn about the car's energy management and the role that the IBS plays in it" REALLY? I could have sworn the subject was how to register your battery DIY as the original poster asked. Then the engineers took it to a new level of detail that quite frankly bores the shit out of most normal human beings. To each his own though, i got it - have fun.

Quick Reply: Battery Registration