Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Professionally how to clean leather ?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 12:40 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to a carshop this afternoon , and i found so many selections of leather care product. I didn't know what to choose, the macguaire <--(correct me) itself has so many different selection. Then i went to the bmw dealer, they said their product is the best. Oh well of course they say that ! . I don't know if leather care product will make a huge difference, what is best then ?
Old 09-18-2004, 01:22 PM
Contributors

I use maguires. Not sure what kind of cleaner. But it is Maguires.

Works excellent.
Old 09-18-2004, 02:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

I use to work at as a detialer for a cadillac dealer ship for 4 years. Here are my recomendations:

1. Diluted Siimple Green solution for "cleaning" the leather. Aprox 20:1 ratio Water. As your "cleaning" solution. Make sure not to get the seats to wet. Use a spray bottle on mist, not stream.

2. Use a brush only if you can see the dirt on the seats. Don't use a hard bristle brush. Use a soft brush. To know the difference, compare the bristle to tooth bursh bristles. A "Hard" bristle tooth brush is too hard, use the "Soft" bristle. Think of leather like your teath or wood. You wouldn't want the bristles to scratch the wood.

3. If the seats are not showing signs of dirt, use a soft terry cloth instead.

4. Condition the seats, most high end conditioners work good. I have not been please with these conditioners as cleaners.

This is only my opinion, but has worked for me for years. I can tell you, I did have a BMW with 4 year old leather and it look like new. No cracking at the side boulster at all. Typically, mose seats crack just to the outside of the drivers seat and seat back. This is where the most tension and compression is place on the leather. The second most dirty spot on seats are at the front of the bottom seat, where your legs come in contact with the leather.

Good Luck.
Old 09-18-2004, 02:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I use the original BMW stuff and it works great.. I first clean it with a certain liquid and the nurish the leather with some other stuff that is in the package.. Works great in our Smart car but haven't tried it yet on the E60
Old 09-18-2004, 02:57 PM
Contributors

What do you guys use to clean the steering wheel?
Old 09-18-2004, 03:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I use a wet cloth to clean the steeringwheel.. Never tried any leathercleaner/nurisher on it because I'm scared the steeringwheel wil get to slick on me..
Old 09-18-2004, 03:05 PM
JDN
Contributors

This must be Jimbo's day off.
Old 09-18-2004, 03:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Sep 18 2004, 05:05 PM
This must be Jimbo's day off.
I believe so.. I bet he'll start about the swiffer duster or something hehehee.. I also bought one.. I think he has stocks of them or something.. the dusters are up in sales by 30% due to his positive posts on the product!! And if he doesn't have stock I think they should give it to them for free for beeing such a good representative for them!!!
Old 09-18-2004, 05:22 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Sep 18 2004, 04:07 PM
swiffer.. I also bought one..
Old 09-18-2004, 06:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Sep 18 2004, 05:01 PM
I use a wet cloth to clean the steeringwheel.. Never tried any leathercleaner/nurisher on it because I'm scared the steeringwheel wil get to slick on me..
To the contrary to what you think, cleaning the stearing wheel will make it easier to grip. The oil's and dirt in your hands clog the leather and make it slicker. A good cleaning and conditioning make it easier to grip.

Quick Reply: Professionally how to clean leather ?!