Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Professionally how to clean leather ?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 05:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RodyBMW,

Can you buy Autoglym products in the US? If not buy it via the net. They do a great leather cleaner which will keep the matte look of the leather. It comes in a pump action type bottle and looks like a thick syrup when sprayed onto the leather. Just use a clean cloth to wipe it over, into and off the leather. The results are superb.

I used it clean an Alfa 156 leather interior with. This car had been used by one of my managers for 3 years and he had put some kind of high shine spray cleaner on the seats before handing it back when he was given a new car. I decided to give the car a thorough detail before selling it to raise its price. The interior came up like new with the Autoglym leather cleaner. The seats were returned to their original as new matte finish. I sold it to a motor dealer and he offered me a job as his valeter but I politely declined

I've used it on my E60 a couple of times with great results but have to say that I have never experienced the leather in a BMW going shiny on me. Either I don't keep the cars long enough for it to happen or I don't slide around enough on the seats to cause the wear.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Sep 21 2004, 04:27 AM
I would think that anything that cuts oil and grease would be too stringent for leather. I use Neatsfoot oil on my boots to soften the leather. Not that I would use that on the seats, but the point seems to be that removing oil with a strong cleaner like alcohol or Simple Green might not be in the best interest of the leather.
Honestly, I don't know if alchol had done a great job to my previous Bimmer (or maybe it just sits too much in the garage!!!), there wasn't much crack or faded color after few years of driving....

I wasn't going to believe the guy to tell me to do this too, but his explaination is: If it's not going to harm your skin, it's not going to harm the leather seats... I'm not too sure abt that too....
Old 09-21-2004, 07:42 AM
Senior Members

This is my only photo that has the seats.... This picture was take for the car w/ about 4+ years of age.... I think they are not too bad for this kind of age...
Attached Thumbnails Professionally how to clean leather ?!-img_0014.jpg  
Old 09-21-2004, 07:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

The seats look great!!!!
Old 09-21-2004, 12:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gf366' date='Sep 21 2004, 05:42 AM
This is my only photo that has the seats.... This picture was take for the car w/ about 4+ years of age.... I think they are not too bad for this kind of age...
the seats look cool ...but your mats <_< . and looks like there is one hot chick on the tv screen !
Old 09-21-2004, 04:42 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alohalc,
You have very sharp chick-hunting eyes
Old 09-21-2004, 04:45 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gf366,

The interior looks clean except the floor mat. Time to change for a new one, but I guess you're still in love the the M symbol
Old 09-21-2004, 08:25 PM
Senior Members

Actually the car was sold already, that picture was taken almost right before I sold my car!

I think the seats are still in very good condition, but I think the leather for my M Roadster was a different leather from my E60, right? Is that the reason its easier to maintain?

Alohalc, you do definitely have good eyes, I was playing a DVD, it's a concert from a band called "Twins", very famous in Hong Kong/ China...
Old 09-21-2004, 09:33 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by my530i' date='Sep 21 2004, 02:42 PM
alohalc,
You have very sharp chick-hunting eyes?
[snapback]36805[/snapback]
oh, not only that. girls like to go shopping w/me because i spot the "sale" signs a lot better than them ! btw, chick-hunting eyes = pervert, right <_< ?
Old 09-21-2004, 09:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gf366' date='Sep 21 2004, 06:25 PM
Alohalc, you do definitely have good eyes, I was playing a DVD, it's a concert from a band called "Twins", very famous in Hong Kong/ China...
[snapback]36839[/snapback]
only a concert <_<? or something else you don't want to tell us .

Quick Reply: Professionally how to clean leather ?!