Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Professionally how to clean leather ?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 08:05 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought swiffer too..now i am getting the califfornia duster.

Winter is coming... :bashwall:
Old 09-18-2004, 09:31 PM
Senior Members

I use Guardsman leather cleaner/conditioner products which can be found at fine leather furniture stores. I also heard Lexol products praised in many forums.
The info below is from Guardsman.com

Check out 100's of care care product reviews/prices here<--. Scroll down to see the full list.

MAINTAINING LEATHER PRODUCTS
----------------------------------------------
Fine leather is soft and luxurious making it an ideal choice for furniture. With the right care, leather improves with age, providing many years of enjoyable use. Even the best leather, however, is subject to damage. That?s why Guardsman provides a leather care program, a total care and maintenance system for your leather.

Different types of leather (see below) require different care and maintenance products. If you are uncertain about the type of leather you have, check with your sales representative or contact the store where you purchased the item. As a general rule of thumb, pretest all of the care products in a hidden area to make sure they are compatible with the leather.

To maintain the rich, natural look of your leather furniture, we offer the following general recommendations

General Leather Care Tips
-------------------------------
1) Avoid using or placing sharp objects on leather goods. Leather is very durable, but not accident or damage proof. (duh!)

2) Place your furniture a minimum of two feet from radiators and other heat sources.

3) Protect your leather furniture from direct and even indirect sunlight. Some leathers, such as full and semi-aniline, will fade over time.

4) Avoid air pollution such as cigar or cigarette smoke and cooking fumes, which can cause leather to fade or change color.

5) Keep leather free from dust by dusting with a cloth, preferably once a week.

6) Clean leather with Guardsman Leather Cleaner, preferably once a month if the furniture is used daily, but at least four times a year. Don't rub! Sponge gently until all grime and stains are absorbed.

7) Treat leather with Guardsman Leather Protector/Conditioner after each cleaning, to retain its softness and attractive appearance.

8) Blot spills up immediately. Use Guardsman Leather Cleaner to remove the spill.

9) Please note: Many common household cleaning products can cause severe damage and costly repairs.

Leather Types
-----------------
Nubuck (Buffed) - Process of raising fibers on grain-side of hide to give a nap effect by buffing.

Naked/Full-Aniline - Leather that has been dyed with aniline, a transparent dye which permeates the entire hide. However, there is no pigment (paint) or finish put on pure aniline-dyed leather to correct or hide imperfections. Best suited for light use.

Semi-Aniline - Leather that has been dyed with aniline, a transparent dye which permeates the entire hide. However, there is either a clear lacquer or slightly pigmented finish applied to improve resistance to wear and light. Slightly more durable than full-aniline.

Pigmented - Hides that are aniline-dyed, then treated with a heavy pigment (paint) and top coating. Ideal for heavy use or active families.

Corrected, Pigmented & Embossed - Pigmented leather that has been totally buffed of any imperfections, then embossed with an artificial grain to improve the appearance.

Split - The bottom layer of the hide, which has been separated from the top grain. Split hides are generally weaker than top grain leather and may be used in less expensive upholstered furniture applications. Split hides are not recommended for heavy use.

Suede - Process of raising fibers of the flesh-side of hide to give a nap effect by buffing.

Tanning - A technical process that converts raw hides into a non-perishable material called leather.

Guardsman Leather Care Products
----------------------------------------
Guardsman Leather Cleaner provides an efficient but gentle cleaning of full-aniline, semi-aniline and pigmented leathers. It safely cleans without leaving a residue or water rings. This mild treatment helps prevent the leather from getting too dirty, and can be used frequently without harming the leather. Regular use removes dirt and body oil build-up, that over time, can cause serious damage to leather. Guardsman Leather Cleaner is a water-based solution of neutral substances. After each cleaning, be sure to apply Guardsman Leather Protector/Conditioner.

Guardsman Leather Protector/Conditioner helps prevent spills from penetrating the leather by creating an invisible barrier over the surface. An application of the Guardsman Leather Protector/Conditioner on new leather is an important first step because it helps maintain the fat balance in the leather. The Guardsman Leather Protector/Conditioner helps the leather retain its suppleness and beauty. Do not use on nubuck or suede.

Application cloths and sponge may be reused after rinsing with a mild soap and warm water.

Cleaning Instructions
------------------------
1. Pretest all of the care products in a hidden area to make sure they are compatible with the leather.

2. Water-based spills and stains such as coffee, ketchup, milk, etc. may require the Guardsman Leather Cleaner. Please refer to the instructions on the Leather Cleaner bottle.

3. For oil-based spills and stains such as popcorn grease, salad dressing or other non-water-soluble spills, wipe the leather clean with a clean, dry cloth. Allow for the remainder of the stain to dissipate into the leather over a 24-hour period. Do not use Leather Cleaner, Leather Protector/Conditioner, water or soap on oil-based stains.

4. Never use saddle soaps, oils, all purpose cleaners or solvents. Use of these products could damage the finish. Modern tanning techniques do not require such products. Most spills will blot up easily with a dry cloth or paper towel.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Sep 18 2004, 11:31 PM
I also heard Lexol products praised in many forums.
Lexol is a great product. Highly recomended as a conditioner.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:18 PM
Contributors

One thing that I love about BMW leather when it's fresh from the factory is its "almost matte" look. Unfortunately this matte look goes away after a few months of use. On my current BMW's I have tried Lexol and Griot's Garage products. I have also just purchased a Zaino Bros. kit that includes the leather care products, but I have not had a chance to try these out yet.

It seems like all the products out there claim to "restore the natural lustre" of the leather . Well, the leather in new BMW's does not have a "lustre", unless the dealer uses a product on the leather before delivering the car to the customer. Is there ANY WAY to restore the original "almost matte" finish of the factory fresh BMW leather? I would like to keep this matte look on my 2005 545i and therefore would like to know if anyone knows of a product that will do this.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:52 PM
Members

Talking

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Sep 18 2004, 05:01 PM
I use a wet cloth to clean the steeringwheel.. Never tried any leathercleaner/nurisher on it because I'm scared the steeringwheel wil get to slick on me..
I know a smarta$$ that put silicone on his steeringwheel. He wanted it to sparkle a little bit more He couldn't keep his hands on it after that It was slideing from his hands. Lucky he didn't have any accident because of that. So.. don't try this at home!!
Old 09-20-2004, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Radu530d' date='Sep 20 2004, 03:52 AM
I know a smarta$$ that put silicone on his steeringwheel.

OMG !
Old 09-20-2004, 08:03 PM
Contributors

Nobody mentioned cleaning sweat...properly... from the wheel. My hands sweat a lot and I ruined the leather after many years on my last car's wheel. I cleaned it when I saw the dirt on the wheel. Now the bmw wheel is black and the dirt invisible. I tried Zymol on my gray leather seats, and it is good, and it keeps the luster which is nill. I like that it cuts the shine down. Should I not worry about cleaning the wheel with this cleaner?
Old 09-20-2004, 10:33 PM
Senior Members

I was told before to use rubbing alchol to clean the leather surface, then let it dry. And sometimes use the Zymol conditioner after the rubbing alchol (only when you have enough time to let it dry). I've done this to my previous M Roadster for 3 years, by the time I sold it, the seat is pratically new...

Also, I once (last year) met a guy who drives a 2000 E39 M5 w/ white interior, he has something like 40,000km on his odo, but the seats are like brand new. I asked him how to keep the seats so nice and how he clean his seats, his answer is: use soap!
Old 09-21-2004, 12:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gf366' date='Sep 20 2004, 08:33 PM
I was told before to use rubbing alchol to clean the leather surface, then let it dry. And sometimes use the Zymol conditioner after the rubbing alchol (only when you have enough time to let it dry). I've done this to my previous M Roadster for 3 years, by the time I sold it, the seat is pratically new...

Also, I once (last year) met a guy who drives a 2000 E39 M5 w/ white interior, he has something like 40,000km on his odo, but the seats are like brand new. I asked him how to keep the seats so nice and how he clean his seats, his answer is: use soap!
rubbing alcohol ? that's something new for me . did you mix it w/water? i always think that alcohol is too strong for any leather surfaces but sure enough, i'm wrong again . oh well, i don't wash my car anyway .
Old 09-21-2004, 02:27 AM
JDN
Contributors

I would think that anything that cuts oil and grease would be too stringent for leather. I use Neatsfoot oil on my boots to soften the leather. Not that I would use that on the seats, but the point seems to be that removing oil with a strong cleaner like alcohol or Simple Green might not be in the best interest of the leather.

Quick Reply: Professionally how to clean leather ?!