Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Warrany almost up... stressed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just talked to my local dealer's finance guy about covering my '06 550i. He said he would CPO it (even though I bought it used, which surprised me) but that the comprehensive Zurich warranty is much better because it covers the i-drive. I'm considering the 48 month/100K version for around $4000, less whatever I can negotiate down.

It's such a tough decision, because I've always fixed my own cars. But then, what if my HUD screen breaks, or my M-ASK box blows up? The days of DIY are really over, unless it's just brake discs and oil changes.....

Originally Posted by JD/MBA2' post='981760' date='Aug 18 2009, 11:34 PM
Furthermore, I brought the car in and it was determined that my clutch was slipping! Here is where it gets interesting. My dealer came back to me saying it'd be $1700 for them to fix the problem. I then proceeded to take the car to another dealer, who, this time, informed me it'd cost me $1100 for them to simply look to see if the clutch was slipping as the other dealer had surmised. Moreover, there would be an additional fee of roughly $1200 for them to fix the problem or probably not if they determined they can "Good-Will-It" if I didn't abuse it. Common guys, who purchases a BMW to stomp on the thing?

I didn't purchase an extended warranty and it seems as if it'd be cheaper to purchase an extended warranty than to pay the price(s) the dealer is talking about to simply look at my transmission. To their credit, they (dealer) has contacted BMW to see if they can take care of it. The funny thing is, because I'm out of warranty, they are making it like a big production, which otherwise wouldn't have been the case. The fact is, when the issues arose, they were aware of the problem and the car was within the warranty period. I certainly would not have purchase this car for the amount of money had I known I wasn't protected by the warranty that BMW advertised. Thus far, I've not informed the dealer that if they will not honor something, which can be done by "Good-Will" even though this is something that should be covered by the warranty and it occurred within that period, I may be forced to take another option to ensure the car is fixed without me coming out of pocket as I shouldn't have to. I like BMW and can't wait to get the M5; however, this issue will probably determine my next car (Mercedes, etc) if a warranty, which, I'm sure, is/was the selling point to get most of us here to purchase these cars cannot be honored. I will keep you tuned to how the situation resolves itself. I have confidence that they will do the right thing! At least, I hope so.

Even the full-boat comprehensive policy won't cover clutch work - that's wear and tear. I'd shop for a better price on the work, though.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='982001' date='Aug 19 2009, 10:48 AM
One of the reasons I lease is so that this dilema never presents itself. I am done with the car long before the warranty expires. You should check with your dealership about purchasing the exteneded BMW warranty. I am sure that there are cheaper options but in many cases they will want to use inferior parts and service providers other then BMW. I recently read that the warranties provided by US Fidelis, who advertise all over the place, are less the desireable so I would be very careful about where I spend my money.
I am with you Jeff.

This is why I lease my cars -- to stay within the warranty with a new car.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:49 AM
Senior Members

+1 and to drive the latest and the greatest..