E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TPMS issue and AUX issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 07:20 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528i
Default TPMS issue and AUX issue

Alright guys,

Gonna apologize ahead of time if there is a thread already related to this. I've researched on the site for the past few days and I couldn't find anything. On to the issue:

Just purchased a used 08 528i, and the AUX and USB (only one in the center console) doesn't work. Already sourced a new one (50$) from my local dealership and replaced it. Didn't fix the issue. Checked the fuses in the glove box and all are good. (Don't think aux uses a fuse anyway). Checked the USB hub in the trunk and there is only one plug connected to the top (blue is not connected) none missing in the bottom. Checked the MULF2 HI device there appears to be one plug missing (tan colored?). Not sure if it's cable related or USB/MULF related. Any advice?

Second issue: the dealership has already agreed to fix this issue but their timeline is sub-par to my standards as well as I like to know the cause to issues prior to going to a shop so I don't get duped. I had the TPMS sensors checked and they are functioning correctly however the car isn't reading them. Scan tools pick them up... The tech suggested the BCM in the car could be bad. Wanted to know if my two issues (aux and tpms sensors) could be related so I dont waste money replacing the BCM, USB hub, AND MULF2.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-07-2015, 02:06 PM
New Members

My Ride: 08 535xi Prem, Sport, Cold, Monaco blue/Natural Brown

This sounds like a possible water in the trunk issue. Search that. Widely known issue that BMW stupidly mounted some electronic modules under the spare tire in the trunk. If any water or liquid spilled or leaked in it wreaked havoc on some or all of those modules. Look carefully for water damage and make it an overall dealer issue. Again, search this topic, you will find lots of info.

Good luck.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:50 AM
New Members

Default AUX/USB issue

***Update***

I researched other forums as well as took andymax's advice and started looking up information related to water damage in the trunk. It appears that the previous owner relocated all of the components from the spare tire well to the driver side well. All of that aside. I can't find any wiring diagrams or any information about what specific component is bad/needs to be replaced. The TPMS issue is solved and I recognize that the RDC unit needs to be replaced (already ordered) and I read that I don't need to have the unit coded. I'm attempting to avoid the dealer at all costs as the dealer quoted me 150$ just to diagnose and 500$ for the MULF2HI with no guarantee it would fix the issue.

However, the AUX/USB is still not functioning correctly. AUX isn't playing music and the USB isn't charging.

I dug around in the back and the Telematics control unit seems to be function. I replaced the USB hub (which didn't solve my issue). I noticed that there is what appears to be a fiber connection that is not plugged into anything BUT there are no components for it to be plugged into. I'm not sure if a component is missing or not.

A list of what is in my trunk:
Telematics Control Unit
MULF2HI unit
USB Hub unit
RDC unit

The radio (AM/FM/CD) all functions correctly with the exception of the AUX port. It is displayed on the idrive screen but not selectable.

The TCU and MULF2 both have the required fibre connections going to them. My question is what is this third connection that isn't going to anything. Could this be related to my issue?
Old 04-28-2015, 06:26 AM
New Members

***Update****

After debating for around 2 weeks; I took the car to the local BMW dealership. Paid 160$ for a diagnosis of the issue.

Returned with a $1125.00 quote to replace the MULF2 Hi-sys component. Technician said that the system wasn't detecting it. Part was 717$; coding was the difference.

Only symptom of the ULF2 going bad was the AUX/USB ports in the center console were inoperable.

- - Decided to update this thread in case someone else runs into this issue and has as much of an issue tracking down what specific component needs replacement to solve the issue.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by coreybunz

- - Decided to update this thread in case someone else runs into this issue and has as much of an issue tracking down what specific component needs replacement to solve the issue.
Thanks for the update. So have you decided to spring for the repair?
Old 04-28-2015, 08:49 AM
New Members

My Ride: 528i - Everything but Comfort Access & MTech
Model Year: 2009

Dear Lord, $1125...? You can buy a use one for ~$150-$200 and swap them in 5 min.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:40 AM
New Members

--Jayarras --

Yeah, I ended up paying for it for the repair. Simply because I didn't feel like listening to the same 9 songs on the radio over and over again. Those devices that stream audio over dead radio stations sound terrible in our cars too.

What makes it worse:
They diagnose it and then come back all fancy like with this print-out of charges and costs for each thing to repair and I immediately go to the bottom of the page and i see 3000$!!!!

Turns out some gaskets are leaking and then those gaskets cause oil to leak on some pulley which can cause the belt to slide off the pulley? ( they completely went worse case scenario with this to get me to spend more money) told them no and got the important stuff fixed. - -audiophiles know what I'm talking about.

--CertifiedOfficial --

The ULF2 part was ~500$ online; however I had no guarantee it would be a working one. Additionally, I don't have the OBDII cable or the software to code it myself, nor did I want to unknowingly screw something up with the car. I also don't know anyone in my area that can do it aside from the dealership.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:13 AM
New Members

Jesus... That is a rough pill to swallow. And it sounds like they did extra work without talking to you, first. I'd be requesting a healthy discount.

I'm betting there's someone in your area that can handle the coding, but if time is of the essence (or it's just been too damn long) I can understand that, too.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:17 AM
New Members

I would love to know if there is someone in my area that does coding for cheap. Would love to get some of those chimes to go away and customize some other things.
- - hint hint anyone in the Tampa, FL area - -
Old 04-30-2015, 02:46 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by coreybunz
I would love to know if there is someone in my area that does coding for cheap. Would love to get some of those chimes to go away and customize some other things.
- - hint hint anyone in the Tampa, FL area - -
https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...9/#post1562120

Try some of the coding forums and the E90Post regional threads... Every 5 forum I've used is a fairly dead place.

Quick Reply: TPMS issue and AUX issue