Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Warrany almost up... stressed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 05:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by or_550i' post='981684' date='Aug 19 2009, 01:07 AM
From the research I did, you would have to buy the top of the line warranty for it to cover 'electrical' components like the iDrive. The warranty my dealer was selling that would cover electronic components was $5k.

I could not prove to my self that the warranty was worth it. I'm planning on saving $1k per year for repairs.
Yes, you should buy the top of the line warranty to make sure you get the broadest coverage. The Fidelity top of the line is an exclusionary policy. You didn't mention what period/mileage that $5k quote was for, bit I'm sure that you can knock at least 1/3 off of that price just by asking and probably more if you press and are serious about buying that day. Dealer markup on 3rd party extended warranties is outrageous. They know this and they know that most consumers know this as well.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:36 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JD/MBA2' post='981760' date='Aug 19 2009, 02:34 AM
Common guys, who purchases a BMW to stomp on the thing?
uh you need to come out to our meets...
Old 08-19-2009, 06:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Originally Posted by jdloaner' post='981369' date='Aug 18 2009, 08:46 PM
So this being my 3rd BMW (E46 330 and E36 M3 prior to current 550) I am nervous about the warranty ending in January as we all know if that iDrive decides not to light up one morning, kiss a good chunk of your paycheck goodbye. I have a 2006 550 with 32,000 miles and of course the warranty ends RIGHT in January (why couldnt it have been purchased in like November or something?). How should I handle the situation from here? Let it ride for a while? Buy the warranty from BMW right before mine is up?

I feel like my car has pretty low miles, and it is in mint condition, so I'm not super concerned with anything dying soon but you never know. What are the warranty's through BMW like? Cost? Coverage compared to current? Are there other options or other companies that offer better? Do I need to purchase before mine ends or anything like that?

Sorry for the 20 questions but I just need some other views on how to handle this and what it is worth doing in 4 months when my warranty is up

Thanks!
One of the reasons I lease is so that this dilema never presents itself. I am done with the car long before the warranty expires. You should check with your dealership about purchasing the exteneded BMW warranty. I am sure that there are cheaper options but in many cases they will want to use inferior parts and service providers other then BMW. I recently read that the warranties provided by US Fidelis, who advertise all over the place, are less the desireable so I would be very careful about where I spend my money.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by Speed_Force_E60' post='981696' date='Aug 18 2009, 10:17 PM
I just purchased my extended warranty today at the BMW dealership.

Got it through a third party "Fidelity". Anyways, it cost $2900 which covers almost everything from electrical issues to transmission/engine seals and suspension.

I paid $290 up front and making $145 payments for 18 months. 0% interest... not a bad deal if you ask me

I've been covered by Fidelity Warranty Services for quite some time. They've been very good when it came time for repairs (water pump, gaskets, tranny seal failure, passenger restraint issues, yadda yadda).
Old 08-19-2009, 08:37 AM
Senior Members

DONT STRESS!
ive driven my 04 545i for over a year with NO warranty!
And on top of it all, it has a build date of 11/03...First years are never supposed to be good!
Thank god all ive had to do is a clutch
Old 08-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='982087' date='Aug 19 2009, 11:34 AM
I've been covered by Fidelity Warranty Services for quite some time. They've been very good when it came time for repairs (water pump, gaskets, tranny seal failure, passenger restraint issues, yadda yadda).
Al, did you purchase the platinum, gold or silver warranty?
Old 08-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

i don't know the co. but the warranty offered by weber bmw covered everything all the way to 100k for only 1900$ which i thought was pretty good!
Old 08-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by Speed_Force_E60' post='982198' date='Aug 19 2009, 11:30 AM
Al, did you purchase the platinum, gold or silver warranty?
I have the Platinum. Seems to have covered every issue I've had since expiration of the factory warranty EXCEPT the programming costs
Old 08-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Senior Members

Simple solution.. buy a New 5er.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Members

My Ride: See signature

My '05 545i had 48000 on it when I bought it in a private transaction. Knowing the owner (a relative) and history of the car, and the fact that I doubt that I will put even 8000 miles per year on it I chose NOT to get an extended warranty. The time limit would run out before I put enough more miles on it to expect something really major to happen - at least that is what I am betting on. The money I save will go a long way toward most repairs I expect to encounter short term.

If a car has a poor history or one puts a lot of miles on a car or drives it "hard", then an extended warranty really makes sense. Each person's circumstances and needs will vary.

Quick Reply: Warrany almost up... stressed.