Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

NAV CCC Pre-Wiring What? 6UA even need it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 11:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530I, Black Sapphire, Gray dakota leather, Cold Weather package, Premium package, Audio upgrade, Comfort seats, Rear heated seats

Here is the scoop, the best I can give. I got my car back and navigation, voice control and everything works fine, however it did end up costing me $6000 dollars.
Knowing what I know, heres what I would have done different....I would have purchased the US retrofit kit. Though they dont make them any more they are still available. The US kit is shy on some parts because it assumes that you have the high-controller, microphone, GPS and the extra wiring to handle it (6UA)...but, alas you dont. So you would have to part out the extra things you need...I believe the cost would end up around $3000 to $3500. Then Id take it to the dealer (before the install) and tell them what Im going to do. My dealer said they had to download ALL modules to my current M-ASK prior to the retrofit. After the download was done, Id then do the retrofit, run it over to the dealer for the final download and shes done....now in your case Mwaly, Id have whomever your going to have do it call my dealer (Anderson BMW in Crystal Lake) and ask them what they did to get it to work....believe me it can be done.
The biggest problem was the UK-CCC. It seems the UK-CCC comes with installed software and tho most of us would think it could be overlayed or wipped clean apparently this is not the case (or to be fair, they didnt know how or maybe dont have the option), nevertheless this rendered the UK-CCC in US cars useless. So they had to purchase a US-CCC, which they claim is blank and load it with the proper software...this raised the cost another $700.
Now, if you could get the UK-kit and exchange the CCC with a US version, that would be the ideal, cause the UK-kit is complete, just has an incompatible CCC (at least thats what I was told).
So there you go, I now have navigation and voice command at a considerable cost, but I think its very cool and am ejoying it...it just makes an already great car just that much better.
If you have any questions just let me know......thanks for listening to my story, hopefully this puts to rest any questions as to whether NAV can be retro fitted or not.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, build 03/06, European delivery 05/05/06, Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota leather and Poplar Grain wood trim. Options: Sport Package, Active Steering, Park Distance Control, Premium Package, and Cold Weather Package. Upgrades: BMW Ellipsoid (Styling 121) cast alloy wheels, AC Schnitzer Aerodynamics Kit, 3M Clear Bra, and RaceMesh Grill.

Nine

Glad to know that it can be done. I am thinking about doing this conversion myself to my 07 530i.
What is the BMW part number for the CCC with a US version?
Did the dealer install the antenna in the shark fin or is it working off the dash?
Old 08-17-2006, 04:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530I, Black Sapphire, Gray dakota leather, Cold Weather package, Premium package, Audio upgrade, Comfort seats, Rear heated seats

Hi Orb0554, All the dealer did was swap out my CCC for a US version...I dont know the part number, Ill see if I can find out....keep in mind I had to install other things like the headliner mic, high-controller, 8.8 screen, GPS etc. not a big deal, but takes the good part of a day to do it...The NAV is running off of a GPS areial that I put under the dash, basically another shark-fin. There is no need to run a wire to the shark-fin on the roof, it can remain connected to the TCU in the trunk, used for SOS positioning.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, build 03/06, European delivery 05/05/06, Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota leather and Poplar Grain wood trim. Options: Sport Package, Active Steering, Park Distance Control, Premium Package, and Cold Weather Package. Upgrades: BMW Ellipsoid (Styling 121) cast alloy wheels, AC Schnitzer Aerodynamics Kit, 3M Clear Bra, and RaceMesh Grill.

Nine, I read everything you went through to get the navigation installed. My 530i is an 07 model and came with the headliner mic installed, may be part of the Bluetooth package. Though, I do not have the high controller.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:53 AM
Members

I too have a headliner mic for Bluetooth, its located on the driver side of the headliner...youll notice there is a place for one on the passenger side. The passenger one is empty. The one on the passenger side wires directly into the back of the CCC. I was unable to get voice comands to work without the second mic. The other mic (I think) is connected into the TCU in the trunk where there is a voice processor for bluethooth. I havent tried any phone commands since Ive done the install, I guess I should to make sure it still works. Adding the second mic is really not hard...
I pulled the center section of the headliner out, the one that has the lights and mics in it (it pops out). I then removed the driver visor (one screw) and finally the A-piller trim (one screw under the HPS cover and a clip)...you can then run the wire from the mic towards the A-piller, there is plenty of room. Once you get it to the A-piller run a fairly stiff guide wire from the bas of the A-piller down under the dash, then wrap the mic wire around it an pull it though. Pretty simple.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:52 PM
Members

Nine, thanks for the explanation. I did not realize there was a second mic.

Once the dealer installed back the M-ASK and downloaded all software, prepared the car up to accept retrofits was the UK-ccc placed back in and again download all software then test it out before deciding that an USA-ccc was required?

Seems one should be able to get these components to functions as they were designed provided the correct software is loaded. Considering all Intel PCs in use over the world operate with different version of the operating system and the only hardware difference may be a keyboard.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:13 AM
Members

orb0554, I know what you are saying....I cant believe that the UK-CCC couldnt be used, however thats what I was told. They said the UK-CCC had software on it that made it incompatible, now keep in mind Im getting this probably third of fourth hand from the service manager, but the US-CCC is blank...They said they tried to get the UK-CCC to work several times....though I dont know they tried it after the pre-loading, my guess is not because they had already written it off by that time.
I wish I knew someone or had the expertise to do the loading of the software myself, I hate being at the mercy of the dealer.
I dont know the part number, I was looking for my receipt, but didnt find it....Ill keep looking.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:44 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530i, Production Date May 2005

Originally Posted by mwaly' post='319820' date='Aug 8 2006, 01:46 AM
Hi Nine,
I have purchased the retrofit kit from Rover as well but I did not make the retrofit yet. My car is a 525i produced in Feb. 2005 and fitted with M-ask only. The BMW dealer says that retyrofit can not be done because I do not have CCC preparation (?). I feel that the dealer do not waste their time in a job like this (they did the same when I wanted to retrofit comfort seats, but finally it was perfectly done). I feel that you have now quite good experience, so will appreciate your feed back whether such retrofit could work or not .
Thanks
mwaly
Hi,

Did you eventually put the Professional Navigation Retrofit kit in your 525i?

Did you get into any problems?

If all is working OK, what steps did you did you do the update in?

Cheerz
Old 01-30-2007, 01:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2006

I am thinking of doing the Nav retrofit in my 06 530i soon without the 6UA option. This post is of great help. From my little research and knowledge of electronics I believe you run into many problems for two reasons. The CCC is basicaly a DVD player and as such is coded by region (region 1 for the US) like the DVDs for the computers. This is why the UK CCC wouldnt work in the US or the German CCC will send messages in German. Also if the CCC is coded once on a specific car then it cannot be re-used in another car, unless the firmware is updated (copied) from an unused one. The second problem is the voice recognition. The TCU (at least those from 3/05) has voice recognition. So does the CCC and therefore this conflict needs to be resolved in order for both modules to function.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:39 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530i, Production Date May 2005

Originally Posted by whentmets' post='385526' date='Jan 31 2007, 07:38 AM
I am thinking of doing the Nav retrofit in my 06 530i soon without the 6UA option. This post is of great help. From my little research and knowledge of electronics I believe you run into many problems for two reasons. The CCC is basicaly a DVD player and as such is coded by region (region 1 for the US) like the DVDs for the computers. This is why the UK CCC wouldnt work in the US or the German CCC will send messages in German. Also if the CCC is coded once on a specific car then it cannot be re-used in another car, unless the firmware is updated (copied) from an unused one. The second problem is the voice recognition. The TCU (at least those from 3/05) has voice recognition. So does the CCC and therefore this conflict needs to be resolved in order for both modules to function.
Hi,

I'm currently updating my Australian 4/2005 BMW E60 530i from Business Navigation to Professional Navigation.

I bought the required parts for 1050 Euro shipped to Australia:
1) CCC (2nd hand)
2) CID 8.8" (2nd hand)
3) I-Drive Controller HIGH (2nd hand)
4) Menu/Voice button (New)
5) Navigation microphone (New)
6) Required cables (New)
7) 2 slot CCC dashboard facia (New)

I've been promised that the parts will funtion 100%, no pixel errors etc.

I believe the parts have been taken from wrecked BMW's and the VIN No. and other codes stripped/erased from the critical parts, mainly the CCC and CID 8.8" so these parts will get recognised when the battery is reconnected, basically after a system reboot.

After the parts have been installed, the E60 has to go to BMW Service where they perform the Retrofit/Nav Pro path upgrade so that all the parts are synced to the E60.

Now I know it's very risky and I could finish up out of pocket a least A$2,200, but I thought it was worth the risk, but my wife will never let me forget if it fails. :'(

I'll keep you posted.

Cheerz

Quick Reply: NAV CCC Pre-Wiring What? 6UA even need it?