Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

I have the greatest mechanic and service guys

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 04:43 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

For the last month or so my car started idleing badly thought it could need a tune up or a maf needed cleaning. Well Sunday when I got to work idle took a shit started putting and shakeing and almost cutting off. Putting my foot on the clutch helped stableize the idle. I looked around under the hood and saw nothing obvious, so did my 12 hours and hopeing the car reset itself started her up and same thing. (Damit) the car drove perfect only idle was bad funny thing is that it did not even throw a code.

Drove her home parked it and texted my tech that night at the dealership, now on the way to the shop on 295 at about 80 I finally got the code i was needing, increased emissions and then the car started idleing fine after that i guess the car bypassed the unit. well took her in and four hours later my Sa came up and said it was finished I was like how much he said don't worry about it i warrenyed the part, would have cost me roughly 500.00 bucks, the part was called a disen valve, funny cause I picked that part out when i looked on real Oem parts it was about 240.00 on there.

What had happened was the dissen valve is like a throttle body of old and the flap or door has a shaft that runs through it, had broken and the flap stuck at a certain position. He showed it to me and the broken shaft and said it could have came off completely and entered the combustion chamber and they would have had to comp me an engine I guess because of the way it broke and not just went defective. Mind you my car is a 04 with 57000 miles on it, I just love my tech and SA a blessing in disquse.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Senior Members

Congrats...

A lot of folks dump on the dealers (not a big fan of that term "stealer")

My brakes just started squeaking so I called my SA yesterday evening to see if they could squeeze me in today. They had me in and out in 90 minutes, replaced my rear brake sensors and pads (which fixed the squeak) and washed my car. So at 47k miles I just got new rear brakes that will probably last me as long as I have the car. My dealer takes great care of me...
Old 04-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by buddy' post='849817' date='Apr 16 2009, 08:43 PM
For the last month or so my car started idleing badly thought it could need a tune up or a maf needed cleaning. Well Sunday when I got to work idle took a shit started putting and shakeing and almost cutting off. Putting my foot on the clutch helped stableize the idle. I looked around under the hood and saw nothing obvious, so did my 12 hours and hopeing the car reset itself started her up and same thing. (Damit) the car drove perfect only idle was bad funny thing is that it did not even throw a code.

Drove her home parked it and texted my tech that night at the dealership, now on the way to the shop on 295 at about 80 I finally got the code i was needing, increased emissions and then the car started idleing fine after that i guess the car bypassed the unit. well took her in and four hours later my Sa came up and said it was finished I was like how much he said don't worry about it i warrenyed the part, would have cost me roughly 500.00 bucks, the part was called a disen valve, funny cause I picked that part out when i looked on real Oem parts it was about 240.00 on there.

What had happened was the dissen valve is like a throttle body of old and the flap or door has a shaft that runs through it, had broken and the flap stuck at a certain position. He showed it to me and the broken shaft and said it could have came off completely and entered the combustion chamber and they would have had to comp me an engine I guess because of the way it broke and not just went defective. Mind you my car is a 04 with 57000 miles on it, I just love my tech and SA a blessing in disquse.
I have to agree - I have the best service ever at my dealer (Imported Car Store in Melbourne, FL). My SA & the techs there are awesome - and if they can't figure something out and I mention this forum or bring them info I find here, they are open to it - give it a try, and always figure out issues for me. I recently had them mount and balance my new M166 wheels & tires I got from Gary @ Newport & Tirerack, respectively (I'm not sure too many dealers would do that) and my SA said " you're car looks sweet now, I wish more customers would mod their cars like you" - this coming from the dealer!
Old 04-16-2009, 08:05 PM
Members

Was that the first time you heard the squeak from the brakes?

My SA replaced the sensors and pads for me when I brought in my car the first time it started to squeak. About a year later the breaks started to squeak again. This time the SA told me that warranty only covers the initial replacement sensors and pads. Now I have to live with the squeaks until the pads are due to be replaced. (Luckily I normally drive with the windows closed so only people outside the car hears the squeaks.)

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='849830' date='Apr 16 2009, 08:14 PM
Congrats...

A lot of folks dump on the dealers (not a big fan of that term "stealer")

My brakes just started squeaking so I called my SA yesterday evening to see if they could squeeze me in today. They had me in and out in 90 minutes, replaced my rear brake sensors and pads (which fixed the squeak) and washed my car. So at 47k miles I just got new rear brakes that will probably last me as long as I have the car. My dealer takes great care of me...
Old 04-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by m37all1ca' post='849989' date='Apr 17 2009, 12:05 AM

My SA replaced the sensors and pads for me when I brought in my car the first time it started to squeak. About a year later the breaks started to squeak again. This time the SA told me that warranty only covers the initial replacement sensors and pads. Now I have to live with the squeaks until the pads are due to be replaced. (Luckily I normally drive with the windows closed so only people outside the car hears the squeaks.)
What do you call someone who charges $800 to change a battery? True story, BMWNA took care of that stealership. And yes things like this happen all the time. Glad some people have good stories about their SA's. I like mine too, but I never take anything to them unless its under warranty.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by buddy' post='849817' date='Apr 16 2009, 08:43 PM
...Mind you my car is a 04 with 57000 miles on it, I just love my tech and SA a blessing in disquse.

is the drivetrain warranty on BMW same as the general bumper to bumper coverage - 50k miles/48mos? Or is it like some other cars, where the drivetrain is warrantied for longer? (like Nissan, I think, or maybe Lexus...) I was under the impression that it was 50k mi/488mos, but never actually looked into it. Either way, good thing you've got it taken care of!!!

buddy! unrelated question: what size are your rims? the car looks really nice with them

and I'm reserving my opinion on the dealers until I get my car back - took it in for some suspension rattle this Tuesday, wanna see how they do on fixing it, before I praise them... but actually, to be completely fair, aside from the ridiculous hourly labor rate (which most people never pay anyway), my service dept. at the BMW of Manhattan has been absolutely excellent (even if I have taken a bit of liking to the term "stealer") - they've totally irradicated a problem with my sunroof rattling and some other odd things here and there. So I have to give credit where its due - just hopefully, not credit cards
Old 04-17-2009, 07:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by m37all1ca' post='849989' date='Apr 17 2009, 12:05 AM

I bought my car CPO with 27k miles. Didn't notice any brake noise until 46k miles. Just had them fixed at 47k miles.

That?s a bummer if yours are making noise again and they won't fix it. Have you called BMW NA or asked the service manager for a goodwill repair?

I always escalate (nicely) at least one level in the dealer if I think they should address something.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rkhettry23' post='850012' date='Apr 17 2009, 12:51 AM
What do you call someone who charges $800 to change a battery? True story, BMWNA took care of that stealership. And yes things like this happen all the time. Glad some people have good stories about their SA's. I like mine too, but I never take anything to them unless its under warranty.
I agree that $800 sounds very painful for a battery but these are extremely complicated foreign/German cars. I have posted many many threads on the risks of owning E60's out of warranty. People see the used values dropping and think "wow I can afford a nice BMW"... not really.

Between ever tightening emissions, mileage and safety standards combined with the market pressures to innovate the days of driving cars into the ground I think are over. Once these cars get past 100k and out of any warranty coverage you are living on borrowed time. These cars are SO complicated. The car may look perfect, no rust, beautiful interior but any number of things can crush your wallet in a heart beat. And think of it this way. If you are BMW do you want these cars to last for ever?
Old 04-18-2009, 09:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Originally Posted by 530goinon850' post='850112' date='Apr 17 2009, 04:03 AM
is the drivetrain warranty on BMW same as the general bumper to bumper coverage - 50k miles/48mos? Or is it like some other cars, where the drivetrain is warrantied for longer? (like Nissan, I think, or maybe Lexus...) I was under the impression that it was 50k mi/488mos, but never actually looked into it. Either way, good thing you've got it taken care of!!!

buddy! unrelated question: what size are your rims? the car looks really nice with them

and I'm reserving my opinion on the dealers until I get my car back - took it in for some suspension rattle this Tuesday, wanna see how they do on fixing it, before I praise them... but actually, to be completely fair, aside from the ridiculous hourly labor rate (which most people never pay anyway), my service dept. at the BMW of Manhattan has been absolutely excellent (even if I have taken a bit of liking to the term "stealer") - they've totally irradicated a problem with my sunroof rattling and some other odd things here and there. So I have to give credit where its due - just hopefully, not credit cards

Thanks for the compliment 19.8.5 front 235 4o 19 19.10 rear 275 35 19 on BBS RXII michl pilot sports expensive as hell but ride like a slot car.

Also just replaced my battery called my tech paid 230 or so including the bmw cca discount had my tech (friend) install it shile I was there and recode the car he did it for 30 dollars so 260 while high for any other car but not for a bmw i guess.