E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

my E60 / TMC / MP3

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 12:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

My dealer (well, the local where I am intending to go as opposed to the dealer through which the car was supplied via the leasing company) service department today informed me that the latest answer from BMW regarding UK supply of TMC service was, after checking with his boss and having mentioned a recall for s/w upgrade which, as a late Jan2004 build my car did not require, even though he declined the offer to double-check the actual version # of my software), was:

"It works, it is available on the DVD supplied but is not and will not be enabled on the 5 series, at this time, but we don't know exactly why - we've asked BMW and they haven't replied"

He also indicated that I was far from the first to hear no response (the dealer who supplied my car has, after a week, still not responded either).

I said that that was an unacceptable answer - the spec stated explicitly that TMC was part of the deal (not to mention my rear ashtrays and MP3 capability, for which he also, as yet, has no answer) - he has asked the same question to BMW re TMC on an E46 and has, after 3 weeks, received no answer.

He said "we're not BMW, we're a dealer, so I really can't comment"!!!
??
Excuse me? Does anyone know what that means? I thought that my BMW dealer was my direct point of contact to the company, but he instead offered me the customer service number... longer-time BM owners, please let me know here is that what I am to expect from a BMW dealer?

Frankly, the answer pi**ed me off and I told him so (and explained that I did understand it was NOT his fault but that, as the guy in front of me, he gets to talk to me) - I suggested that as a BMW owner one expects service of a higher level than, say, Skoda owners might implicitly expect.

His reply:
"It's just like the Bluetooth pre-wire promise: it is not the case... BT is available as factory-install only and it is not to be offered for retro-fit"

I. Now trust me here, I was being polite, mostly, and I repeated that this was not a good answer. I requested that he contact me on Monday to let me know when an answer would be expected from BMW UK regarding the following:
a. TMC capability enabled
b. Rear cigarette lighter sockets (as promised - i would actually have regular use for all three regularly, as power outlets)
c. MP3 capability enabled
d. what BMW might plan in terms of compensation should the promised and PAID-FOR functionality not be supplied in a reasonable timeframe (after all, if I bought a ?1000+ laptop and the mousepad didn't work I would expect it to be fixed or replaced, full stop - why should i expect so much less from a ?30000+ car? Am i wrong here?)

I don't expect answers on Monday, but I think it is not too much to be given an indication of when answers might be expected: decent service response is, after all, what is expected from BMW, not hedging

I love the car but i am starting to get a little concerned that they have released a car too soon and just hope that software problems don't arise, particularly as related to the mechanics of the vehicle

Sorry if this adds to what the flamers are flaming on but this is not that - this is a legitimate concern regarding false representation - and if TMC and retrofit BT are off the table here, maybe the US folk shouldn't hold their collective breaths for promised pre-wirings... if, on the other hand they aren't present because the software is warped, then, well, that might be worse.

cheers
Old 02-20-2004, 01:01 PM
Senior Members

Skidster, I will be fuming if TMC is not active on my car come April, especially after paying ?1650 for Pro Nav, when I can get TrafficMaster SmartNav with live traffic updates for ?499!.

You're well within your rights to kick up a fuss about this. All power to your elbow, I hopw you get some answers next week.

It p's me off when when the dealers say "we're not BMW". What's the point of having all the branding and pomp if they can't take the rough with the smooth.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:56 PM
Members

I too am not so happy with the missing cigarette lighter sockets. Or the the green sunshade. Or the fact that i had to order the professional bmw telephone instead of Blue Tooth. Or that i got no discount for loading my car up to 78000euros. Plus more and more and more...
I'm not happy with where the car business has involved.
I would expect more from my first (and probably last) BMW!
I wish i wasnt that emotional when i decided to buy this car!
Old 02-23-2004, 01:44 AM

Thumbs up

Browellm - you said "TrafficMaster SmartNav with live traffic updates for ?499!."
sorry - I might be thick (probably!)- but is this product an add on - or is there any way of getting it on the I drive screen ??T
Old 02-23-2004, 03:26 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Feb 23 2004, 04:44 AM
Browellm - you said "TrafficMaster SmartNav with live traffic updates for ?499!."
sorry - I might be thick (probably!)- but is this product an add on - or is there any way of getting it on the I drive screen ??T
It's a third party vavigation solution. I suppose it's so cheap because there is no map whatsoever displayed in the car, just voice instructions.

Still, it's mighty impressive in the way it works (well to me anyway). See the demo HERE
Old 02-24-2004, 07:16 AM
Members

I just realised that if I hadn't read this column - I would have had no idea on all the other stuff that was supposed to come with the UK specced car!

As a result - I'm getting a bit pissed off too! Will contact my dealer to get some updates on those issues
Old 03-10-2004, 05:43 AM
Senior Members

Ovidiu... what green sunshade. please?
Old 03-10-2004, 05:59 AM
Senior Members

again, trust me here: regardless of how harsh i may come across in this media i am nothing but polite and pleasant with 'real' people!

so, after all this time and not having heard word one from the local dealer, I called BMW UK customer relations... and had a terrible conversation with a defensive rep who kept telling me that the nature of my problems meant that i had to deal with the local dealer regarding the TMC issue and the supplying dealer regarding AC & cigarette lighter issues.

rather than self-inflict further stress, i hung up.

called back this morning, asked to speak to a Supervisor. Introduced myself and we had a chat in which i explained my problems with the car and with the dealer and with the customer services rep the previous day.

He apologised. As i have chosen to start over with a different local dealer, he told me that the Service Manager would be in touch and that we would arrange a meeting and discussion of my concerns and see what can be done about them.

Promising.
for the first time I feel that I was provided with the level of courtesy and service which i believed part of the deal when buying bmw

so i will hope for the best and let you know what happens - particularly with the areas of shared concern:
tmc
auto a/c fans
rear-seat lighters
hesitation in low-gears (auto box)
mp3
no retrofit BT?

have i missed any?
Old 03-10-2004, 06:57 AM
Members

I asked dealer about MP3 last week and they said there are no current plans to make it work but it might become avilable via future software upgrade.

I notice on US cars there's a temp dial in the rear above where the cig lighters are missing.

2 different OBCs but no info in any of their literature explaining this and which options result in which OBC.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:01 AM
Senior Members

i should have mentioned - he was aware of several inquiries re MP3 and has heard, unofficially, that it is coming in a 'future' software upgrade
- fwiw

Quick Reply: my E60 / TMC / MP3