E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my E60 / TMC / MP3

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 10:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 545 built in Feb this year, with Sat/Nav professional. It has TMC, but cannot play MP3 disc (my home DVD player can play the disc - so I know I have burnt it correctly).

It also does not have voice control (button next to the menu button) as mentioned in the sales brochure

It is going into the dealer on Wednesday so hopefully will get some answers then

Steve
Old 03-14-2004, 11:11 AM
Senior Members

Stever, see my thread on
voice control
Old 02-05-2005, 03:46 AM
Gareth Peate

Thumbs up

Hi... don't shout at me, I don't have a 5 Series, well I don't have any car, BUT my Mum got herself a 120i last year, with the Business Navigation system, and it came with TMC. Everything worked great for a few days after getting the car from the dealer, the TMC list updated with details of accidents and delays all over the country, however that suddenly stopped and all we got was the "Presently No Reception" message.

THEN about a month ago, the car had to go back to the dealer to have the CD-changer fitted (something we'd ordered from the start but they 'forgot' to fit, despite the car passing it's PDI.. oops!!), and when it came back, the TMC worked again - for about half a day, and now we're back to "Presently No Reception" all the time!

It's not a subscription service, is it? My Dad says it is, which is why we can't have it, but if you look at software like Route 66, it comes for free with that..

.. anyone for any ideas? If we shout loud enough at the dealer, should they sort it?
Old 02-05-2005, 05:06 AM
Senior Members

No it's a free service.

Depending on which s/w you have in your 1 series, you may have the same problem some of us see in the 5, namely intermittent TMC reception.

There is a kind of workaround - TMC is carried on Classic FM (in the UK), and if you explicitly tune to Classic you will find the TMC reception "sticks" much better. Then you can tune off it somewhere else, or listen to a CD etc and it tends to then stay on much better.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

TMC is free, but not all stations are transmitting this service.
If your TMC is set to receive TMC signal from one specific station, and that station is sometimes out of reach, you are not getting any TMC messages anymore. The TMC signal can come from any station that the radio receives, so it can be different than the station you are listening to.
Therefore the TMC should allways be set to AUTO.
If it IS on AUTO, you should have it checked by your dealer...
Old 02-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Gareth Peate

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Feb 5 2005, 11:45 AM
If your TMC is set to receive TMC signal from one specific station, and that station is sometimes out of reach, you are not getting any TMC messages anymore. The TMC signal can come from any station that the radio receives, so it can be different than the station you are listening to.
[snapback]87034[/snapback]
Thanks for the replies chaps - that's quite helpful. I've been on a bit of a learning exercise with TMC today.. I didn't realise it was carried over FM until I read the forums, - I'd always thought it came with the positioning signals... (durr!).

It's always set to Auto though, but every now and then I'll un-tick Auto and re-tick it straight away to try and reset the reception.. no luck.

I'll try tuning it to Classic tomorrow, as the radio in the 1 seems to be permanently tuned to Radio 2.. aah it's the lure of Terry Wogan..
Old 02-05-2005, 12:30 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Feb 5 2005, 04:45 PM
[snapback]87034[/snapback]
Just to clarify Iceman, you might have more than one station carrying it in Germany, but in the UK there is only one.

And the intermittent TMC bug is software related.

My experience:

11.x - crap
12.x - perfect
13.x - crap again
Old 02-05-2005, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Feb 5 2005, 10:30 PM
Just to clarify Iceman, you might have more than one station carrying it in Germany, but in the UK there is only one.

And the intermittent TMC bug is software related.

My experience:

11.x - crap
12.x - perfect
13.x - crap again
[snapback]87073[/snapback]

Well, things are a bit different in Germany... Didn't knew there is only one station in the UK with TMC... Sorry.