Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Active steering worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 08:31 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

As far as I'm concerned, it's time to shut down this pissing match. Almost as bad as the the SMG vs Step vs Manual "discussion". Different people buy different cars with different options that meet their individual needs/wants/desires. People like their AS. Others don't care for it. FINE! I don't have it, never liked the feel of it on my admittedly brief test drives. Am very happy without it. Other have it and love it. FINE! It's what they want from their cars. Time to move on. I don't mind a heated debate that adds something constructive, but all this is a list of subjective opinions, intermingled with the occasional personal comment about someone else.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Mystic Blue 530i, beige/poplar wood interior, steptronic transmission, prem, sport, & sound pkgs, comfort seats, pdc, all weather mats, red reflectors, NAV, ACC, HUD, satellite radio, heated rear seats, rear sunshade, cold weather pkg, active steering

My experience with AS is with e60, Toyota truck, and Maxima. When I drive the non AS vehicles, I find myself expecting more response from the steering mechanism. This requires an adjustment on part. Driving my e60 with AS is effortless, like driving a go cart.

I will say this about posts on this board. Stick to what you know. If I ask how to remove the shark fin, don't reply with "are you going to make shark fin soup". When it comes to specific information, don't guess, don't give a maybe, don't joke...if you have specific experiences or opinions backed by experience, or true information on topic please post. Otherwise, remain silent.

I appologize for hijacking this topic with a commentary.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

No AS isnt worth the $$... I dont know how much it costs as a stand alone option. It was included in the sports pacakge for me. I like the easy to turn while driving in parking lot but I dont like it when I make a right turn. I keep over turning and have to pull back to correct myself. and in my MINI I got use to turning the wheel like a quarter turn before backing up in my driveway as I have to make a sharp turn to avoid hiting the house when backing out but when I do that with the E60 a quarter turn is ALOT and it scrapes the tires against the ground making that rubbing noise! A quarter turn in the MINI doent do much and it preps the turn for me and so when I start backing up I can make the turn better.

Its really a matter of getting USE to it.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Kevin' date='Feb 13 2005, 11:34 AM
If I ask how to remove the shark fin, don't reply with "are you going to make shark fin soup".
[snapback]89744[/snapback]
HAHAHHA I just asked why you're removing the fin... just being curious... cuz maybe you were installing somthing I want to install too... Someoen else asked if you were making sharkfin soup.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Personally I like Active Steering a lot. It works well for me and is well worth the money. I have tried to notice in the conditions that other members described in this thread. Unfortunately I must be insensitive or something, because I do not notice it when I try except at low speeds in a parking lot. To me it is another tempest in a tea pot. I suspect that most people, the silent majority like it or can't tell the difference above 10 mph like me. However that said maybe it should be a stand alone option.

Someone quoted a car magazine in their commentary about active steering. Most of those auto journalists have no creditability in my opinion. When I compare their commentary about the e60, particularly the design and I-Drive, to my personal experience, their judgement seems lacking. I respect informed opinions of members of this forum. Opinions of journalists in print are just that, opinions.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Feb 13 2005, 06:01 PM
BMW's - luxury or sports should be DRIVER's cars. If you have a hard time turning the steering wheel, then...?
[snapback]89699[/snapback]
It still IS a drivers car. You don't need to buy the gadgets if you don't like them. But saying those features are stupid/silly IS silly. YOU don't like them - that doesn't make them stupid or silly gadgets!
And: NO! I don't have a hard time turning any steering wheels, but AS makes it easier, and city driving more enjoyable. Maybe not for you, but that's why you can buy the E60 without those gadgets!

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Feb 13 2005, 06:02 PM
[quote name='eugeneloke' date='Feb 13 2005, 12:32 PM'] YES!!! ACTIVE STEERING IS WORTH EVERY DIME/CENT/YEN

i have a C class W203 - now, after driving my e60 for a while - i find the setup in the merc VERY VERY HEAVY & UNWIELDY.

i think i may be stuck! cannot drive a non-bmw without active steering from henceforth.
[snapback]89693[/snapback]
More to my point. This lame AS is making it hard for people to drive other cars it seems. This is the 2nd example in this thread at least..
[snapback]89700[/snapback]
[/quote]
You are misinterpreting the comments ppl make here.
ANYBODY CAN still drive a car without AS. You only need about 15 seconds to re-adjust yourself to regular steering wheels, because the system is very intuitive! When ppl make such comments it more likely means, that they don't want to drive without AS anymore, because they like it so much.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:21 PM
JDN
Contributors

Well said.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by streak' date='Feb 10 2005, 06:16 AM
I have been given another 530D loaner while mine without active steering is in the shop. I noticed after driving for a few days that there was an indicator symbol that came on on startup and the manual said that it was the active steering check.

If not for this light I would not have any idea that the car had this option.

Steering feels the same as in my car regardless of driving conditions.

Am I missing something here or is this option really worth the money?

Streak
[snapback]88516[/snapback]
A recent test of the 3 series in Test Drive magazine states "Don't waste your money on Active Steering". They tested 2 3's side by side one with and one without and said the one without had much better steering feel albeit a bitch to park!
Old 02-14-2005, 05:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Feb 14 2005, 10:12 AM
[quote name='streak' date='Feb 10 2005, 06:16 AM']I have been given another 530D loaner while mine without active steering is in the shop. I noticed after driving for a few days that there was an indicator symbol that came on on startup and the manual said that it was the active steering check.

If not for this light I would not have any idea that the car had this option.

Steering feels the same as in my car regardless of driving conditions.

Am I missing something here or is this option really worth the money?

Streak
[snapback]88516[/snapback]
A recent test of the 3 series in Test Drive magazine states "Don't waste your money on Active Steering". They tested 2 3's side by side one with and one without and said the one without had much better steering feel albeit a bitch to park!
[snapback]89940[/snapback]
[/quote]

Right on. The people who actually know how to drive cars know AS is lame. PERIOD! BMW knows it too.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Right on. The people who actually know how to drive cars know AS is lame. PERIOD! BMW knows it too.
[snapback]89946[/snapback]
They said the samething about i-drive and the E60, as well as the 6 cylinder engine of the E60.

All am I saying is, you've gotta try it for your self and decided. I have it, and I love it. If you have it and don't like it, then please say so.

Quick Reply: Active steering worth the money?