Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Active steering worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 02:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been given another 530D loaner while mine without active steering is in the shop. I noticed after driving for a few days that there was an indicator symbol that came on on startup and the manual said that it was the active steering check.

If not for this light I would not have any idea that the car had this option.

Steering feels the same as in my car regardless of driving conditions.

Am I missing something here or is this option really worth the money?

Streak
Old 02-10-2005, 03:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by streak' date='Feb 10 2005, 04:16 AM
I have been given another 530D loaner while mine without active steering is in the shop. I noticed after driving for a few days that there was an indicator symbol that came on on startup and the manual said that it was the active steering check.

Streak
[snapback]88516[/snapback]
I have active steering on my 545 and really like it - you really notice it during low speed manoeuvers (parking lot etc) when the steering ratio is at its highest level. Doesn't take any effort to quickly go from lock to lock and it helps when steering into tight spaces. At freeway speeds it feels fine. That said, this is my first BMW so I haven't had much experience with the non-active steering cars so I'm not the most qualified to give an opinion but I like it and am glad I have it.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by streak' date='Feb 10 2005, 11:16 AM

If it has got Active Steering you should notice the difference! Especially at low speeds the amount of steering wheel turning is vastly reduced... What is the lock-to-lock of the wheel? (I believe it's much smaller on AS cars)

Although, I have heard of people saying they couldn't tell the difference! (This was the salesman at my dealership)
Old 02-10-2005, 04:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport (M sport steering, M sport sills, M sport suspension, 18inch M style wheels) Carbon black, black nasca, dark wood, dechromed, folding mirrors, extended lights, sun protect glazing, grad tinted winscreen, servotronic steering, heated, ventilated active comfort seats, extended voice control, hi-fi speakers, hud, active cruise, split folding rear seats, rear electric blind, rear manual blinds visbility pack (xenons, adaptive headlights), media pack (6 CD, prof nav, bluetooth with telematics and assist)

For what its worth - I have test driven a few cars with AS and found it almost accident inducing - I have no doubt that it was because I wasn't used to it, but quick manoeuvers in traffic can be quite frightening as you end up turning much more than you expected.

I can imagine that over a period of time it would be something that one got used to and then couldn't live without - for myself, however, I can't say I am that fussed about turning the steering wheel that bit more - it certainly isn't worth an extra ?700 for me.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:35 AM
JDN
Contributors

IMO, it is not "accident inducing" unless you refer to being able to corner more sharply at low speeds "accident inducing." What AS does is give you much better control over a two ton vehicle than you could possibly have otherwise. When I get into a vehicle today wo AS, I am immediately impressed with all of the arm exercise I am getting.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:52 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

I would say it's a must-have. I've tried a 5er w/o both AS and Servotronic. But never tried one with just Servotronic. Mayby thats enough.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Feb 10 2005, 06:35 AM
IMO, it is not "accident inducing" unless you refer to being able to corner more sharply at low speeds "accident inducing." What AS does is give you much better control over a two ton vehicle than you could possibly have otherwise. When I get into a vehicle today wo AS, I am immediately impressed with all of the arm exercise I am getting.
[snapback]88534[/snapback]
Right on. Its nothing that hampers the drive. You notice it most in cars that do not have it.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 E63 AMG -- Palladium Silver/Black. Love this car but looking to switch things up to keep things fresh. 2nd AMG in a row, but toying with coming back into the BMW fold!

Active Steering is simply fantastic. It allows you to have racecar-like steering response around town without being twitchy at high speeds. I would definitely get it again and would go so far to say that I wouldn't buy a car again without it.

Although I said the same thing about AWD, yet here I am driving a RWD 545i.

Note to BMW: Make AWD available on all models a la Mercedes.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5, Silverstone with black extended leather, brushed aluminium trim, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, 35 % tint.

BMWs always have had great steering and road feel. The only complaint I have is that for some AS diminishes road feel. It is useful for low speed, but how hard are parking manouveres, anyway? I remember in the 3 series a few years ago that BMW made the steering lighter because some people (mostly women) said that the steering wheel was hard to turn in slow speed situations. The problem was that it hurt the feel of the steering at higher speeds. Enough people complained about the new steering that BMW went back to the old ways. Perhaps AS is a compromise of both.

Try both, but I feel the car handles great without it.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 550 AW 2005 530AW GONE

AS is worth is if you gotta turn quick, parrallel park, and are int tight areas. AS doesn't require much effort.

Quick Reply: Active steering worth the money?