Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Active steering worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 07:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I like active steering--it makes low speed maneuvers (parallel parking, U turns, etc.) a lot easier. As somebody else said, you take it for granted and don't notice it after a short while.

There's also a lot of discussion on the Porsche boards regarding their new variable steering on the '05 Carrera.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 e60 Titanium grey Auburn premium Sport 6-speed Logic-7 folding rear seats with ski bag Bi-xenon Cold weather package

My .02 - in a crosswind I have felt the steering correct my path.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

My vote goes to active steering. I've used it and I LOVE IT!!
Old 02-10-2005, 09:37 AM
Members

Active steering is definitely a must have. As said above, it makes handling much better at slower speeds. The only pitfall is when you get in a car without the active steering and realize how much more effort it takes to corner.

Now that I have had my car for 17,000 miles, it is one of my favorite features.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -SOLD- 530i Alpine White. Sport package, comfort seat package, premium sound package, power rear shade, premium package, rear red reflectors, and adaptive headlights with xenon’s

I love it
Old 02-10-2005, 10:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KenTO' date='Feb 10 2005, 10:52 AM
BMWs always have had great steering and road feel.? The only complaint I have is that for some AS diminishes road feel.? It is useful for low speed, but how hard are parking manouveres, anyway?? I remember in the 3 series a few years ago that BMW made the steering lighter because some people (mostly women) said that the steering wheel was hard to turn in slow speed situations.? The problem was that it hurt the feel of the steering at higher speeds.? Enough people complained about the new steering that BMW went back to the old ways.? Perhaps AS is a compromise of both.

Try both, but I feel the car handles great without it.
[snapback]88562[/snapback]
I totally agree with KenTOm, but acknowledge that it's a personal taste thing. I recognize it's benefits, but I'd prefer not having it as I too feel that it diminishes road feel. I'm guessing that BMW M feels the same way since AS is not part of the upcoming M5.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto
Arrow

Originally Posted by streak' date='Feb 10 2005, 06:16 AM
I have been given another 530D loaner while mine without active steering is in the shop. I noticed after driving for a few days that there was an indicator symbol that came on on startup and the manual said that it was the active steering check.

If not for this light I would not have any idea that the car had this option.

Steering feels the same as in my car regardless of driving conditions.

Am I missing something here or is this option really worth the money?

Streak
[snapback]88516[/snapback]
No, In my opinion its not worth the money! It ruins the cars high speed handling and reduces the traditional BMW steering feel. Also the car wanders all over the place on the motorway. It may be good for parking buts that about it. My front tyres have worn out on the edge and I'm not sure whether its the A/s or tracking. I have just ordered a new 5 without the A/s and spent the money on more worthwhile options.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

I love it. Can't do without it. Unfortunately I almost get in accidents when I drive my Lexus. I forget i need to make more effort to turn my other car.

I love being able to drive with only one hand.

Teriyaki
Old 02-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by teriyaki88' date='Feb 10 2005, 05:07 PM
I love it.? Can't do without it.? Unfortunately I almost get in accidents when I drive my Lexus.? I forget i need to make more effort to turn my other car.

I love being able to drive with only one hand.

Teriyaki
[snapback]88716[/snapback]
The way a car feels is a very personal thing and AS takes a little getting used to at first but I concur - once you have it, everything else feels sluggish and non-responsive...big fan, would definitley order again.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by hinckley' date='Feb 10 2005, 03:30 PM
[quote name='KenTO' date='Feb 10 2005, 10:52 AM']BMWs always have had great steering and road feel.? The only complaint I have is that for some AS diminishes road feel.? It is useful for low speed, but how hard are parking manouveres, anyway?? I remember in the 3 series a few years ago that BMW made the steering lighter because some people (mostly women) said that the steering wheel was hard to turn in slow speed situations.? The problem was that it hurt the feel of the steering at higher speeds.? Enough people complained about the new steering that BMW went back to the old ways.? Perhaps AS is a compromise of both.

Try both, but I feel the car handles great without it.
[snapback]88562[/snapback]
I totally agree with KenTOm, but acknowledge that it's a personal taste thing. I recognize it's benefits, but I'd prefer not having it as I too feel that it diminishes road feel. I'm guessing that BMW M feels the same way since AS is not part of the upcoming M5.
[snapback]88628[/snapback]
[/quote]

Right on! I agree completely. AS is lame - sorry! The M5 got it right if it doesn't have this gimmick. It's the only reason I opted out of the sports package on my car. It's up there with Adaptive Cruise Control in terms of sillyness to me. *I* like to drive my car.... how lazy are people getting? It's scary. I like the BMW ad where they show a guy driving through cones in one instance with and in one instance w/o AS. I almost burst out laughing at how lame and pointless it was.

Quick Reply: Active steering worth the money?