The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Talk some sense into me - 550i vs Range Rover Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How funny, my wife and I just test drove a RRS for her. She still feels the need for an SUV in the driveway. Honestly, I was impressed. It is interesting to hear everyones reaction to ownership. I personally belive that Ford has cleaned up RR a bit in the last few years. Does anyone have reliability ratings for the years of Ford ownership?
Old 02-07-2006, 02:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Its a "No Brainer" IMHO the RR is a pimped version of the bigger RR with crap performance figures even with the supercharged engine. The 550i is the way to go. My wife and I went to a Landrover showroom today to sit in the new Discovery. We were in there less than two minutes and went straight to our local BMW dealer to test drive an X5. We will be buying the X5 for my wife.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

Check with the guy three houses up, he got RRS three days after the launch here in the UK, its his third RR. He said so far its by far the best one he has ever had. He thinks the UK knockers are never likely to buy one anyway so thinks those interested should go to a LR users site. Here in the UK we generally knock success stories or products we make here its part of our nature (its made in Germany or Japan, it must be better)
Old 02-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Members

I say go and drive both of them and then decide. All those talking about how bad Rover is should reconsider. They were a total piece of crap 5 years ago. I mean total shite. Terrible vehicles. However they have made huge strides in the area of reliability. They are now what most would consider a very good vehicle from a reliability standpoint. Still not great, but very good. I would not be so concerned with that issue. The new RRS has a nice ride, and has a "cool" factor to it right now. The decision really comes down to whether you want a car or an SUV. Only test drives can really help you with that decision. Drive them both. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I would still take the 550, but I am a car guy. IF i had to have an SUV I would be comparing the RRS and X5.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Nova Invicta' post='236414' date='Feb 7 2006, 06:03 PM
Check with the guy three houses up, he got RRS three days after the launch here in the UK, its his third RR. He said so far its by far the best one he has ever had. He thinks the UK knockers are never likely to buy one anyway so thinks those interested should go to a LR users site. Here in the UK we generally knock success stories or products we make here its part of our nature (its made in Germany or Japan, it must be better)
Hear what you say But a guy who lives over the road from me reckons his ML270 is the best car he's ever owned

Also the deprieciation on the RR will be massive. 02 Range Rovers are now low 20k's.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:26 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='236418
Hear what you say But a guy who lives over the road from me reckons his ML270 is the best car he's ever owned

Also the deprieciation on the RR will be massive. 02 Range Rovers are now low 20k's.
[/quote]

I agree fully about the ML270, but the new breed of LR are in a different class to their former stablemates
Old 02-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Nova Invicta' post='236431
Originally Posted by Nova Invicta' post='236414' date='Feb 7 2006, 06:03 PM

I agree fully about the ML270, but the new breed of LR are in a different class to their former stablemates
[/quote]

Point taken of course the RRS is better than an ML but its just that I have attended quite a few Jaguar surveys/forums and owned a landrover that I just don't like the British attempt at building German cars. Would you swap your 530d for a Jag SType 2.7 d or a RR sport diesel?
Old 02-07-2006, 02:53 PM
SKK
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='236418

[/quote]

I bet the depn on a RangeRover is lower than a BMW 7 Series (like for like price) and the depn on a Range Rover Sport / Discovery is lower than a 5 series. By a massive amount as well. Frankly BMW's depn in the UK is a joke and nothing to be proud of. I had an Audi dealer laughing at me the other day about how 3 series depreciate like a ton of bricks!!! X5's are much better at retaining their value (at least the diesels) but they are not significantly better than comparable Discovery or RRS models.

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='236444' date='Feb 7 2006, 11:41 PM
Point taken of course the RRS is better than an ML but its just that I have attended quite a few Jaguar surveys/forums and owned a landrover that I just don't like the British attempt at building German cars. Would you swap your 530d for a Jag SType 2.7 d or a RR sport diesel?
I wouldnt swap my E60 for an RRS either but if I was in the market for a SUV I would go with an RRS over an X5 all day long. Different preferences is what its all about.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Originally Posted by pbarch1' post='236403
Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='236418' date='Feb 7 2006, 11:07 PM
[quote name='Nova Invicta' post='236414' date='Feb 7 2006, 06:03 PM']

I bet the depn on a RangeRover is lower than a BMW 7 Series (like for like price) and the depn on a Range Rover Sport / Discovery is lower than a 5 series. By a massive amount as well. Frankly BMW's depn in the UK is a joke and nothing to be proud of. I had an Audi dealer laughing at me the other day about how 3 series depreciate like a ton of bricks!!! X5's are much better at retaining their value (at least the diesels) but they are not significantly better than comparable Discovery or RRS models.

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='236444' date='Feb 7 2006, 11:41 PM
I wouldnt swap my E60 for an RRS either but if I was in the market for a SUV I would go with an RRS over an X5 all day long. Different preferences is what its all about.
[/quote]

Thats Interesting as I am looking to source a clean, low mileage (03) three year old X5 3 litre Diesel from the Uk for a friend. I have been looking around since last September and dealers are looking for as much as Bps 33,000 for them. They only cost Bps 39,000 brand new. Thats less than 6k depreciation in 3 years? That is incredible residual on any car?
Old 02-07-2006, 03:32 PM
SKK
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mr_grinche' post='236461' date='Feb 8 2006, 12:07 AM
Thats Interesting as I am looking to source a clean, low mileage (03) three year old X5 3 litre Diesel from the Uk for a friend. I have been looking around since last September and dealers are looking for as much as Bps 33,000 for them. They only cost Bps 39,000 brand new. Thats less than 6k depreciation in 3 years? That is incredible residual on any car?
According to What Car the 3.0d model retains 70% of it value after 3 years which is pretty incredible. I did say in my original post that the X5 does much better. However the X5 is where BMW's depn success mostly ends. To be fair I think most cars are currently taking a real pasting in the UK used market.

To put the 70% X5 3.0d residual into context, according to the same magazine -

1. Range Rover TD6 HSE - 67%
2. Mercedes ML320 - 68%
3. LR Discovery - 67%
3. Lexus RX 65%

So although the BMW diesel leads the pack it seems like most 4X4's do pretty well. And by the way ?33k for an 03 X5 diesel is excessive - negotiate.

Quick Reply: Talk some sense into me - 550i vs Range Rover Sport