The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Talk some sense into me - 550i vs Range Rover Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 07:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know.. sounds like a very strange comparison. I've ordered my 550i already but I've always had a place in my heart for SUVs.

BMW 550i vs Range Rover Sport HSE. Both are about the same $$$. Actually, the RRS ends up being a bit less.

I know this is kind of a strange comparison but I've always loved SUVs.

I have about a 70 mile (all highway) round-trip commute to work so road noise at high speeds and comfort are very important to me. For that reason, I just assumed a car was more practical than an SUV.

Besides the obvious (BMW has better gas mileage and is faster), what would you say about overall comfort and feel of the RRS vs. a BMW 5-series?
Old 02-06-2006, 07:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

Originally Posted by adamrogers' post='235648' date='Feb 6 2006, 11:07 AM
I know.. sounds like a very strange comparison. I've ordered my 550i already but I've always had a place in my heart for SUVs.

BMW 550i vs Range Rover Sport HSE. Both are about the same $$$. Actually, the RRS ends up being a bit less.

I have about a 70 mile (all highway) round-trip commute to work so road noise at high speeds and comfort are very important to me. For that reason, I just assumed a car was more practical than an SUV.

Besides the obvious (BMW has better gas mileage and is faster), what would you say about overall comfort and feel of the RRS vs. a BMW 5-series?
Sorry adamrogers, never driven a RR Sport. Drove a LR Discovery for a while but did not like it.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

My previous car was an SUV. A Lexus RX300. Granted the Range Rover is a lot more SUV than my old Lexus.... but I must say I am VERY pleased with the decision to return to a car.

The biggest difference besides handling and speed is the gas mileage. My 545 gets awesome mileage. Far better than the Lexus ever did. The same will be true with Range Rover, I assume.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

I drove--well attempted to drive--a RangeRover exactly once, at my friendly BMW/MB/Rover dealer, about 15 years ago. I have never gotten over the initial feeling of inertia doing everything in its power to keep all that revved engine, whirring gears and dead weight sitting right there in the parking lot. I asked if the handbrake was still on! In fact, I never left the lot; that was enough for me. I can't imagine what it would cost in fuel to plow around in that beast, even with the BMW engine, as opposed to that old 1960s Buick Skylark aluminum unit.

Now, the old ones (back in the 60s and 70s, when they were hardy aluminum-bodied utility vehicles, not overstuffed trucks they became) they were kinda fun. Ever seen Queen Elizabeth shifting that long throw (left handed, of course) stick in the one she keeps around Ballmoral? Almost fun. I can smell the wet dogs and woolens from here.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 02-06-2006, 07:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='235654' date='Feb 6 2006, 08:23 AM
My previous car was an SUV. A Lexus RX300. Granted the Range Rover is a lot more SUV than my old Lexus.... but I must say I am VERY pleased with the decision to return to a car.

The biggest difference besides handling and speed is the gas mileage. My 545 gets awesome mileage. Far better than the Lexus ever did. The same will be true with Range Rover, I assume.
Well, I don't know if this will affect your decision, but Land Rover is owned by Ford!!! Actually I saw the RR sport test driven on the Speed Channel. It looked nice, and got good reviews. But I would think that you would base your decision on how much stuff you haul around. If you need the room, then the RR. If not, then definitely keep the 5er!!!.....Just my 2 cents, and after inflation, really only 1 cent. But subtract taxes and surcharges, then it's .0001 cent. So really my opinions are worth nothing!!!
Old 02-06-2006, 07:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (UK) Bulit: Feb 2004, 520i (M54), 6-Speed Manual, Black leather, Titanium Silver, Bi-Xenon, Headlamp washers, Side rear airbags, Park Distance Control, Aluminium trim, Standard Climate Control, 17" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's, Spacesaver Spare wheel, Jack, Dynamic drive, Service Inclusive, Chrome grills, Software version 20.01.00, E60.net Clings, Painted wheel hubs silver

Dude! dont do it. They are just fuel eating trucks. Another problem besides cost is the reliability, they have a history of being poorly built mechanicaly. Especially the gear boxes. It would be a fun car for sure but you would most undoubtbly regret it. Especially seeing as your commute so far, the fuel bill would be huge. Comfort and quietness are words you wouldnt use when talking about any suv!

Its your choice, good luck.

Old 02-06-2006, 07:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

The RR Sport is built on the LR3/Disco platform and is light years ahead of the prior gen Discovery. Not sure why the fact that LR is owned by Ford was worth a from one poster as under Ford ownership they have built on the solid investment from BMW and have become much better cars. The engines in the RR Sport are from the Jag lineup, I don't think they are BMW powered any more. Try them both, but the RR Sport is a much better car than some of the posters on here seem to think. Not that it should influence anyone's decisions either way but the RR Sport (and the LR3 platform in general) is getting very positive reviews and acknowledgement that the new generation are in a different league to the old.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:46 AM
Members

I drove the RR Sport HSE and the Supercharged. I also owned a 99 RR Callaway and an 03 RR.

If you like SUV's with a great ride go for the RR - get an 05 and you should be in the same price range and you will get the BMW engine. Interestingly enough the new Jaguar engine is much quieter and less thirsty> I thought the Sport was a great ride, but the HSE felt rather slow (the Supercharged is another story) and it is not very spacious (rear seat leg room is rather small as well as that sloping roof interfered but cargo of course will be better than a 5er).

For about the same money you could get the Cayenne S, it feels faster but it does have a taut suspension

I went through the same choices, originally ordered a 5er and ended with a 6er - At the end its all about which one just gets you!
Old 02-06-2006, 07:46 AM
Members

it is better to buy X5 4.8 or Cayenne than even Supercharged RRS

and its not only IMHO
Old 02-06-2006, 08:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by adamrogers' post='235648' date='Feb 6 2006, 08:07 AM

Funny you should bring this up. I wanted the same two cars and have a huge spot for SUVs in my life. I drove a GX470 from Lexus and missed having the sporty drive of a sedan so I started researching sedans and of course the 550 was at the top of the list. I love SUVs since they carry lots of goods and people. The RR sport was one of the SUVs I tried out to make sure it was good enough to drive as a daily driver and still be sporty. I also drove the Cayanne but favored the RR sport for looks. BMW X5 4.8 was also tested but I did not like the storage in it and the new model is coming out to replace it in a year. Well I sat down and figured out how often I carried cargo and people and it came out to be like 10% so 90% of the time I was driving a big SUV for nothing. I also went off roading 3 days out of the two years I owned it so 4x4 was never used either. The higher off the ground you are the more you shake and go side to side. I drive alot so this motion got tiring after two years. The RR sport I was hoping would eliminate this but it didnt even with the active roll suspension. So I bought the 550 and have not regretted it since. Every time I drive that car whether for long or short distances it makes the the trip seem so fast and effortless which I could not say about the SUVs. Also on the highway the sedans are so much safer for passing and maneuvering, I swear the 550 saved my life last week when I had to make a emergency maneuver when another car came into my lane, If I was in my SUV I know I would have flipped it. By the way nothing drives better on the road than a sedan or a minivan in my opinion. So anyways thats my story.

Quick Reply: Talk some sense into me - 550i vs Range Rover Sport