The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Talk some sense into me - 550i vs Range Rover Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 04:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Originally Posted by SKK' post='236479
Thats Interesting as I am looking to source a clean, low mileage (03) three year old X5 3 litre Diesel from the Uk for a friend. I have been looking around since last September and dealers are looking for as much as Bps 33,000 for them. They only cost Bps 39,000 brand new. Thats less than 6k depreciation in 3 years? That is incredible residual on any car?
According to What Car the 3.0d model retains 70% of it value after 3 years which is pretty incredible. I did say in my original post that the X5 does much better. However the X5 is where BMW's depn success mostly ends. To be fair I think most cars are currently taking a real pasting in the UK used market.

To put the 70% X5 3.0d residual into context, according to the same magazine -

1. Range Rover TD6 HSE - 67%
2. Mercedes ML320 - 68%
3. LR Discovery - 67%
3. Lexus RX 65%

So although the BMW diesel leads the pack it seems like most 4X4's do pretty well. And by the way ?33k for an 03 X5 diesel is excessive - negotiate.
[/quote]

Obviously everybody in UK wants SUV's!! I know what your saying about negotiating, however I will only buy somthing thats very clean ans I have seen some pretty crap examples, clocked, crashed, bolted together insurance write offs.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:49 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530i

I have encourted the same problem now....E60 vs RRS...

we have bought 3 BMWs and we love them, and think they are very reliable!!!

(we hate M.Benz deeply............so Benz is definitely not on our list! )

the thing is that we had never owned a big SUV like RRS

(but a toyota rav4..which is super good for local...but dont ever take it on a long trip..

we almost died on the freeway b/c of toyota's great techn. )

and I dont really wanna see two E60s in my garage!!!

so..does any one know the fuel consumption between E60 530i and RRS??

I guess I am gonna go have a test drive soon~~~

Old 02-18-2006, 01:22 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by adamrogers' post='235648' date='Feb 6 2006, 11:07 AM
Besides the obvious (BMW has better gas mileage and is faster), what would you say about overall comfort and feel of the RRS vs. a BMW 5-series?

I LOVE the old(er) Land Rovers. That said the RRS is no RR and it's far from being a Land Rover. It's a Jaguar SUV with the Range Rover name under the Land Rover badge. Stay away... far away. Unless you just have to have one. It's neither going to be good off road or good on the street. And Land Rover dealers tend to be some of the worst. There are good ones but you really have to look hard. There are gererally more BMW dealers to pick from if you run into one you don't like. I own a Land Rover and won't give it up for anything (well almost anything) but I can't call the Land Rover brand a reliable one. I don't care what people say it's no different in quality from it's pre-BMW owned days. At least the older Land Rovers were good off road and could be repaired with a coat hanger and some chewing gum in the bush. You can't say that about the new Ford owned Rovers with the exception of the Range Rover (not sport) with the 4.4L BMW engine.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Get both
OK, it's actually a Range Rover HSE rather than the sport.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"
Exclamation

Rod, it's nice to have money right?
Old 02-18-2006, 01:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 530iii' post='242462' date='Feb 18 2006, 02:39 PM
Rod, it's nice to have money right?
Old 02-18-2006, 02:30 PM
Senior Members

Guys.

I don't think that 1/2 of you honestly know what you're talking about. You can't talk poorly about a cars offroad abilities if you haven't driven one. The Jag engine is phenominal. I have had 0 engine problems with the car yet. It's running a modified AM trans. The only difference is an added oil pump to continue oil circulation in the tranny when on inclines, there are similar differences in the engine as well. The car is amazing at off roading. It can do things that you're afraid of making the car do. You should attend one of the offroad schools just to see what these cars can do. The RRS has been very realiable. I've had it for almost 6 months and haven't been in the shop, but i do have a few minor things to be repaired. This car has been much more realiable than my 04 e60 and they were both first model year cars. But I must say, the fuel consumption on the naturally aspiration engine is poor. I can get 12 mpg at most, but average 9.5. Take note that i drive hard.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:47 PM
Contributors

As someone who actually OWNS both a 545 and a Range Rover, I can say that my Range Rover is an awesome car. AWESOME. Runs and handles like a dream. The Jag engine is great.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' post='242494' date='Feb 18 2006, 06:47 PM
As someone who actually OWNS both a 545 and a Range Rover, I can say that my Range Rover is an awesome car. AWESOME. Runs and handles like a dream. The Jag engine is great.
If you have the Rangie (Range Rover) then you have a BMW engine (unless it's the 4.0/4.6 P38 Rangie). The Range Rover Sport is the one with the Jag engine. Two VERY different cars.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='242500' date='Feb 18 2006, 04:01 PM
If you have the Rangie (Range Rover) then you have a BMW engine (unless it's the 4.0/4.6 P38 Rangie). The Range Rover Sport is the one with the Jag engine. Two VERY different cars.
The 2006 Range Rover is powered by V8 engines developed by Jaguar. This is a change from the 2003-2005 that used the BMW V8 like my 545 has. The new engines are lighter, cleaner, more powerful, more efficient and overall more tractable than their BMW-sourced predecessors.

Quick Reply: Talk some sense into me - 550i vs Range Rover Sport