The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

New Porsche 911 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 03:01 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='244921' date='Feb 23 2006, 04:19 PM
I come clean and i must say i'm in love with this car. Really now porsche stole my heart with this epic pice of engineering. Unless bmw does smth miraculous good with the upcoming m3 (in desgin and somehow performance, although almost everything compared to this 911 is redundant) i'm sold to the porsche. This became my dream car...no questions asked. This car is so techy and so brutal and yet civilised and so good looking and sooo................I RAN OUT OF SUPERLATIVES....that leaves any M car for dead. Maybe one day i'll get my dream come true. I don't care how fast it will be, after all the magazines and tv shows test it, i don't care (too much) how does it stack up to other cars, i don't know how it drive i just want it. The end.

...one thing i think is worth waiting on though before deciding is the upcoming audi R8...have you seen this yet? this is modeled after that Lemans concept car and its audi's competitior to the 911, and in a recent article they spoke about in being introduced late in the year, there will be 2 engines, a v8 and a v10 that has 200 more hp than the 911 and cost about the same, while the space frame is borrowed from the gallardo , so if this really comes out within a year for mid 80K's and has 500+hp in a car this light with that dsg tranny, i might give it a shot next time around, it looks killer from what i've seen
Old 02-23-2006, 10:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d (4/05) M Sport, Carbon black, Black dakota leather, Sport seats, Xenon, Navi prof, Hi-fi pack, AS, BT, PDC, Sunroof

If its my only car I would get an auto if its not then maybe a manual. Ideally would wait for DSG if the rumours are true
Old 02-24-2006, 05:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by m630' post='245056' date='Feb 23 2006, 07:01 PM
...one thing i think is worth waiting on though before deciding is the upcoming audi R8...have you seen this yet? this is modeled after that Lemans concept car and its audi's competitior to the 911, and in a recent article they spoke about in being introduced late in the year, there will be 2 engines, a v8 and a v10 that has 200 more hp than the 911 and cost about the same, while the space frame is borrowed from the gallardo , so if this really comes out within a year for mid 80K's and has 500+hp in a car this light with that dsg tranny, i might give it a shot next time around, it looks killer from what i've seen
Sorry but being a bit ignorant but that's only fairytales for me. And even if their aim is to to exactly that i don't think audi has what it takes to make a porsche rival, especially when the pole is set so high, we are not talking after all about a boxter. Maybe, but JUST maybe, bmw could have a word to say. Audi :thumbsdown:
Old 02-24-2006, 05:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 700700' post='245042' date='Feb 23 2006, 06:33 PM
1) it has a torque converter / torque staller (which ever way you want to put it), something you may have seen on your average supra. It basically makes sure that the car is not put into motion under the optimal revs are reached, kinda like doing a hard start and applying the brake so you can get higher revs... and so makes for the best possible time

2) Dual-clutch transmission will be available starting 2/2007
I am a little tired now but really i don't understand your explanation on point 1. Really....even though i try. Did you mean untill the optimal revs are reached? How does it do that? Are you trying to say it has some sort of launch control (by brake torquing on it's own)? And if so, why can't a proffessional driver do exactly the same thing (launch at a specific rpm and shift as fast as possible)?

and please i would like some more info on point 2. How much different is that dual clutch tranny from the DSG model found on audis and vw?
Old 02-24-2006, 05:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='245347' date='Feb 24 2006, 09:18 AM
Sorry but being a bit ignorant but that's only fairytales for me. And even if their aim is to to exactly that i don't think audi has what it takes to make a porsche rival, especially when the pole is set so high, we are not talking after all about a boxter. Maybe, but JUST maybe, bmw could have a word to say. Audi :thumbsdown:

i thought so as well, but i've read articles from audi engineers that it will have 500+hp v10...and remember that audi is sort of in the porsche family along with vw and that would include lambo, and as for rally car racing, they are one of the tops, now add dsg tranny and a lambo space frame, and this could be real nice...the reason i dont think its competing withBMW is that these both are true sports cars, bmw doesnt currently make a true sports car, we have GTs (6ers) and sports coupes (M3s) and maybe the new Z4M will have something to say regarding this, but no true sports car, which is the segment of the R8 and 911....we'll have to wait and see but...
Attached Thumbnails New Porsche 911 Turbo-audi_r8_2.jpg  
Old 02-24-2006, 06:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by m630' post='245360' date='Feb 24 2006, 09:37 AM
i thought so as well, but i've read articles from audi engineers that it will have 500+hp v10...and remember that audi is sort of in the porsche family along with vw and that would include lambo, and as for rally car racing, they are one of the tops, now add dsg tranny and a lambo space frame, and this could be real nice...the reason i dont think its competing withBMW is that these both are true sports cars, bmw doesnt currently make a true sports car, we have GTs (6ers) and sports coupes (M3s) and maybe the new Z4M will have something to say regarding this, but no true sports car, which is the segment of the R8 and 911....we'll have to wait and see but...
I get you...in a way...but still your talking about real cars and comparing them to a concept car. That's not a good move. Let's just wait to see what they do and how it performs. I also don't agree on the fact that porsche is a bit audi and audi is a bit vw and all are a bit lambo and...........................
The same concers yes. Different traditions and different companies, and adress to different markets...too different to compare. Yes audi and vw are almost the same but to inclide lamborghini and buggati and porsche it's just illogic.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:20 AM
Senior Members

Btw when tiff neddle tested the 996 turbo he said that the power and torque comes from 95% on the rear in normal times to 60% at the rear in low grip situations. That's 40% at the front...and he said that even so the predominant feel of the turbo is understeer when driving it really hard.
Anyone can attest that here? How many of you drived a turbo and sensed quite some understeer?
I think that's somewhat changed in this 997 because of it's awd and because of the sport function setup.
I wonder in a 996 how hard it would be to kick the tail out, both at high speed cornering and also at low speed....
Old 02-24-2006, 05:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='245351' date='Feb 24 2006, 02:23 PM
I am a little tired now but really i don't understand your explanation on point 1. Really....even though i try. Did you mean untill the optimal revs are reached? How does it do that? Are you trying to say it has some sort of launch control (by brake torquing on it's own)? And if so, why can't a proffessional driver do exactly the same thing (launch at a specific rpm and shift as fast as possible)?

and please i would like some more info on point 2. How much different is that dual clutch tranny from the DSG model found on audis and vw?
no more info on dsg .. for the torque staller. On the porsche it works the same way as the traction control... it basically accesses whether its wet and so on, and then calculates the maximum revs at which the car can start to acheive optimal acceleration. Similar to launch control. I does some brake torquing on its own but i think you may need to assist it with your left foot ... Not a lot of info on it as of yet !
Old 02-25-2006, 03:11 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 535d

I adore this car...

I never thought I would say this, but when I have to choose between the Turbo or the M6... hard choice, really...

Amazing creation, really amazing, no words to describe it...
Old 02-25-2006, 08:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Postel' post='245817' date='Feb 25 2006, 07:11 AM
I adore this car...

I never thought I would say this, but when I have to choose between the Turbo or the M6... hard choice, really...

Amazing creation, really amazing, no words to describe it...
You must be kidding me...you really must be kidding....i would take the turbo anyday OVER 2 m6s. That's how much i like it.

Quick Reply: New Porsche 911 Turbo