The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

New Porsche 911 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 02:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='246933' date='Feb 27 2006, 11:18 PM
my brain is flooded by 997 turbos and well asses and airbags and.....
go to www.ravenriley.com guaranteed to get you back to reality
Old 02-27-2006, 02:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='246756' date='Feb 27 2006, 03:05 PM
So your saying you'll go for the tiptronic? Why? Just because it's 0.2 faster? What about the driving feel you get with the stick? What gearbox do you have now? And please PM me on some more info and driving experience with your 911 Carrera S. Thanx!

I find that VERY odd that tiptronic is faster than manual considering their tiptronic isnt exactly an "SMG"...
Old 02-27-2006, 03:15 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by xexyus' post='246955' date='Feb 27 2006, 11:59 PM
I find that VERY odd that tiptronic is faster than manual considering their tiptronic isnt exactly an "SMG"...
it is quicker. Check the website
Old 02-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='246933' date='Feb 27 2006, 11:18 PM

The pic appeared now...it was just an attachment when i posted, couldn't be accessed.
Now i'm trully speechless...my brain is flooded by 997 turbos and well asses and airbags and.....

something else for you

http://www.weakgame.com/media_7501_Gorgeous_Gina_2.html
Old 02-27-2006, 05:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 700700' post='246572' date='Feb 27 2006, 10:40 AM
also do note that he is very slow from 3rd to 4th gear... the car almost stalls.

The 997 turbo would decimate the m6
Old 02-27-2006, 09:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='246756' date='Feb 27 2006, 12:05 PM
So your saying you'll go for the tiptronic? Why? Just because it's 0.2 faster? What about the driving feel you get with the stick? What gearbox do you have now? And please PM me on some more info and driving experience with your 911 Carrera S. Thanx!
I have a 6 speed now but find it really hard to drive on a daily basis. I thought the stick would be fun but in high traffice situations its a pain. If I can have the speed of a stick or better through an automatic you better belive I am getting an automatic. This way it would be a good daily driver. Its no 550 in terms of comfort or smoothness on the road but it is better than any other super sports car for daily driving.

Think about it .2 seconds faster is the same is two car lengths and you dont have to do anything but keep both hands on the steering wheel where they belong and step on the gas. I have always wondered when will somebody make a auto tranny that is as fast if not faster than a stick. I think sticks are going to be obsolete just as they are in F1 racing. SMG is a step in the right direction but very jerky in auto mode. Porsche might have perfected the drive train loss associated with a slush box. Also no matter how good a 911 is its still a little twitchy at high speeds when the front end wants to get off the ground hence two hands on the steering wheel is better. The 997 is the best at handling this problem of all the 911s made. Having all wheel drive helps with that bobbing feel at high speeds also since more weight is at the front wheels.

The 997 911 Cs is a nimble car as Stream said, the power to weight ratio makes it a true sports car so that it can weave in and out of traffic and turn on a dime. You pass through traffic with no effort, its like all the cars are going in slow motion and you are passing between them with no problems. Any pressure on the gas pedal and the car will pull hard in every gear to red line. Tire chirps can be had up to 4th gear easily. I honestly can say I am happy with the power of the 997 CS and really do not desire anymore. I can't imagine what the turbo will be like. If I can get the turbo look to the 997 CS and the auto tranny I would keep it.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TV550' post='247105' date='Feb 28 2006, 01:48 AM
I have a 6 speed now but find it really hard to drive on a daily basis. I thought the stick would be fun but in high traffice situations its a pain. If I can have the speed of a stick or better through an automatic you better belive I am getting an automatic. This way it would be a good daily driver. Its no 550 in terms of comfort or smoothness on the road but it is better than any other super sports car for daily driving.

Think about it .2 seconds faster is the same is two car lengths and you dont have to do anything but keep both hands on the steering wheel where they belong and step on the gas. I have always wondered when will somebody make a auto tranny that is as fast if not faster than a stick. I think sticks are going to be obsolete just as they are in F1 racing. SMG is a step in the right direction but very jerky in auto mode. Porsche might have perfected the drive train loss associated with a slush box. Also no matter how good a 911 is its still a little twitchy at high speeds when the front end wants to get off the ground hence two hands on the steering wheel is better. The 997 is the best at handling this problem of all the 911s made. Having all wheel drive helps with that bobbing feel at high speeds also since more weight is at the front wheels.

The 997 911 Cs is a nimble car as Stream said, the power to weight ratio makes it a true sports car so that it can weave in and out of traffic and turn on a dime. You pass through traffic with no effort, its like all the cars are going in slow motion and you are passing between them with no problems. Any pressure on the gas pedal and the car will pull hard in every gear to red line. Tire chirps can be had up to 4th gear easily. I honestly can say I am happy with the power of the 997 CS and really do not desire anymore. I can't imagine what the turbo will be like. If I can get the turbo look to the 997 CS and the auto tranny I would keep it.
Thanx. That was very informative. The best would have been (i think) for porsche to design some sort of sequential gearbox with proper 6 speed changes. Too bad the tiptronic has only 5 speeds, although i don't see at all how that might affect perfromance. The gearing even made out for greater performance while having the same top speed.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:06 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='247147' date='Feb 28 2006, 05:25 AM
The best would have been (i think) for porsche to design some sort of sequential gearbox with proper 6 speed changes. Too bad the tiptronic has only 5 speeds, although i don't see at all how that might affect perfromance. The gearing even made out for greater performance while having the same top speed.

they are working on it!!! the problem is that DSG was not the best choice as Porsche is not happy with its current shift-responses, so they are going back to the drawing board to get it perfect (as an fyi, Porsche is the originator of the sequential gearbox technology from the '80s but only used it for racing)...anyway...they were not planning to offer the Tip anymore in the 997 and were going to put in DSG as the only option after the manual as they hoped it would satisfy all the owners that didnt want to clutch shift, so no new Tip was developed, but due to the problems in the dsg tranny, they were forced to use the 5sp tip from the 996 as a stop-gap.... But, a new version of DSG will be available from the P-boys on the turbo as well as the full line, they say within a year....
Old 02-28-2006, 06:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by m630' post='247223' date='Feb 28 2006, 02:06 PM
they are working on it!!! the problem is that DSG was not the best choice as Porsche is not happy with its current shift-responses, so they are going back to the drawing board to get it perfect (as an fyi, Porsche is the originator of the sequential gearbox technology from the '80s but only used it for racing)...anyway...they were not planning to offer the Tip anymore in the 997 and were going to put in DSG as the only option after the manual as they hoped it would satisfy all the owners that didnt want to clutch shift, so no new Tip was developed, but due to the problems in the dsg tranny, they were forced to use the 5sp tip from the 996 as a stop-gap.... But, a new version of DSG will be available from the P-boys on the turbo as well as the full line, they say within a year....
so you saying that the 997 turbo has a 5 speed (not 6) for the automatic transmission
Old 02-28-2006, 06:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

Originally Posted by m630' post='247223' date='Feb 28 2006, 09:06 AM

Imagine an SMG 997TT

Quick Reply: New Porsche 911 Turbo