The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

New Porsche 911 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 07:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d (4/05) M Sport, Carbon black, Black dakota leather, Sport seats, Xenon, Navi prof, Hi-fi pack, AS, BT, PDC, Sunroof

Its bound to cost a leg after all its a turbo . I doubt I will miss the tail happy handling of my BMW if I get my hands on one of those. I had an awd before the BM and I find the poor traction of the BM on rougher surfaces really annoying. The GT3 looks superb too but I would never consider one for the real world.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:15 PM
Contributors

Here's a cool video of the 997 turbo along with the history of the 911 turbo
http://www.porsche.com/all/masterwerk/usa.aspx
Old 02-14-2006, 12:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sapkan' post='240081' date='Feb 14 2006, 11:18 AM
Its bound to cost a leg after all its a turbo . I doubt I will miss the tail happy handling of my BMW if I get my hands on one of those. I had an awd before the BM and I find the poor traction of the BM on rougher surfaces really annoying. The GT3 looks superb too but I would never consider one for the real world.
You have a point there. Especially if u're not frenetic about sliding or tail happy. Also the porsche some say it's at it's best with awd because of all the weight on the back. Makes the rwd behave nice enough but ready to punish you as soon as you run out of tarmac or talent. Also the fact that it is the lightest awd system and the torque distribution of 40:60 F:R if i'm not mistaken makes it not that detached.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='240242' date='Feb 14 2006, 01:37 PM
You have a point there. Especially if u're not frenetic about sliding or tail happy. Also the porsche some say it's at it's best with awd because of all the weight on the back. Makes the rwd behave nice enough but ready to punish you as soon as you run out of tarmac or talent. Also the fact that it is the lightest awd system and the torque distribution of 40:60 F:R if i'm not mistaken makes it not that detached.
Just a minor correction on the torque distribution...

Porsche's Traction Management utilizes an electro-magnetic clutch (unlike the previous versions using a mechanical viscous coupling) which will allow torque to be distributed in a range of 0 to almost 100% to the front or rear axles.

I agree with you that because of the vehicle's weight distribution, there is a tendency for the car to oversteer, however, AWD will help to address this. (weight distribution is 40/60, perhaps this is what you meant).
Old 02-15-2006, 11:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Centurion' post='240296' date='Feb 14 2006, 06:50 PM
Just a minor correction on the torque distribution...

Porsche's Traction Management utilizes an electro-magnetic clutch (unlike the previous versions using a mechanical viscous coupling) which will allow torque to be distributed in a range of 0 to almost 100% to the front or rear axles.

I agree with you that because of the vehicle's weight distribution, there is a tendency for the car to oversteer, however, AWD will help to address this. (weight distribution is 40/60, perhaps this is what you meant).
No...i ment what i wrote. I thought, in low grip conditions, the diff will shift 40 on the front and 60 on the back (% that is of the total amount of torque). From what i knew the porsche awd uses 0/100% F:B on usual mode, and as soon as the car looses grip it will increase to maximum 40% on the front leaving 60% on the back. That's what i knew. I might be wrong. Can anyone confirm this?
Weight distribution i assume is far from 50:50 even in the 997 turbo because of the car's construction...
Old 02-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Senior Members

I come clean and i must say i'm in love with this car. Really now porsche stole my heart with this epic pice of engineering. Unless bmw does smth miraculous good with the upcoming m3 (in desgin and somehow performance, although almost everything compared to this 911 is redundant) i'm sold to the porsche. This became my dream car...no questions asked. This car is so techy and so brutal and yet civilised and so good looking and sooo................I RAN OUT OF SUPERLATIVES....that leaves any M car for dead. Maybe one day i'll get my dream come true. I don't care how fast it will be, after all the magazines and tv shows test it, i don't care (too much) how does it stack up to other cars, i don't know how it drive i just want it. The end.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:32 PM
Senior Members

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4...=997++911+turbo
link to some tests on the nordschelife

PS: Wanted to ask you guys if you where to buy this car which transmission would oyu choose? Manual wich yes is more involving costs less, but it is 0,2 sec slower than Tiptronic S wich is still a (6 spd i think) and it is more expensive but it's quicker. 0-100km/h in 3.7 seconds seems soooo tempting.
Also i wonder how does this tiptronic s gearbox work? Is is a sequential similar to the smg? Does it have paddels behind the steering wheel?
Old 02-23-2006, 12:53 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='244925' date='Feb 23 2006, 01:32 PM
PS: Wanted to ask you guys if you where to buy this car which transmission would oyu choose? Manual wich yes is more involving costs less, but it is 0,2 sec slower than Tiptronic S wich is still a (6 spd i think) and it is more expensive but it's quicker. 0-100km/h in 3.7 seconds seems soooo tempting.
Also i wonder how does this tiptronic s gearbox work? Is is a sequential similar to the smg? Does it have paddels behind the steering wheel?
The Porsche tiptronic is a torque converter automatic trans, not a sequential manual. No paddles--it has rocker buttons on the front of the steering wheel (pretty cheesy looking IMHO). Personally, having owned 4 Porsches, there's no way I'd get a tip. Yes, the 997 turbo is slightly faster with the tip (a reversal from the past), but I enjoy the driver involvement of a manual trans, and I'm not going to miss 0.2 secs...
Old 02-23-2006, 01:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stream' post='244941' date='Feb 23 2006, 04:53 PM
The Porsche tiptronic is a torque converter automatic trans, not a sequential manual. No paddles--it has rocker buttons on the front of the steering wheel (pretty cheesy looking IMHO). Personally, having owned 4 Porsches, there's no way I'd get a tip. Yes, the 997 turbo is slightly faster with the tip (a reversal from the past), but I enjoy the driver involvement of a manual trans, and I'm not going to miss 0.2 secs...
Yeah i found exactly that now, lurking on a porsche forum i found the ordering sheet for the 911 turbo. optional Tiptronic S 5 speed automatic transmission with sterring wheel buttons. Yep. So only manual remains for me also.

Now i wonder the fallowing: why would an automatic get a better time (slightly) then the stick? Is it the human factor (can't change that fast)? Or is it simply the construction....wonder overall from 0-250 and onwords if the order remains the same (tiptronic 911 turbo faster than manual). Maybe you can enlighten me due to your vast experience. Thanx.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:33 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='244950' date='Feb 23 2006, 10:05 PM
Yeah i found exactly that now, lurking on a porsche forum i found the ordering sheet for the 911 turbo. optional Tiptronic S 5 speed automatic transmission with sterring wheel buttons. Yep. So only manual remains for me also.

Now i wonder the fallowing: why would an automatic get a better time (slightly) then the stick? Is it the human factor (can't change that fast)? Or is it simply the construction....wonder overall from 0-250 and onwords if the order remains the same (tiptronic 911 turbo faster than manual). Maybe you can enlighten me due to your vast experience. Thanx.
1) it has a torque converter / torque staller (which ever way you want to put it), something you may have seen on your average supra. It basically makes sure that the car is not put into motion under the optimal revs are reached, kinda like doing a hard start and applying the brake so you can get higher revs... and so makes for the best possible time

2) Dual-clutch transmission will be available starting 2/2007

Quick Reply: New Porsche 911 Turbo