The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

My wife wants to replace her 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 05:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi Silver Grey over Black Dakota with Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Comfort, NAV, Logic 7, Sirius, 18" 123s. Current: 2006 Lexus GX 470 2005 SLK 350 No Longer With Us: BMW 330xi; Mini Cooper S; Infiniti FX45; every Audi imaginable; various others

I have a 2003 FX 45 and have been pretty happy with it. Goes like stink and handles very well for an SUV. But, the 45 has 20 inch tires and rides pretty harsh. The '04's and later, as well as all Fx35's with 18" wheels are supposed to ride a little softer. My wife loves the Fx45, but YMMV. I have had no problems with it at all. I do agree that the tires on my FX have always sucked (Goodyear RSA's). I bought snows for the winter.

I also have had an allroad and loved it. Might just buy the new one when the FX45 lease is up.

As for the Lexus - every time I look for a new car I go to the Lexus dealer and walk out without buying anything. For me, those cars have no soul.

Good luck
Old 04-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by A2 BMW' post='265732' date='Apr 6 2006, 09:22 PM
I have a 2003 FX 45 and have been pretty happy with it. Goes like stink and handles very well for an SUV. But, the 45 has 20 inch tires and rides pretty harsh. The '04's and later, as well as all Fx35's with 18" wheels are supposed to ride a little softer. My wife loves the Fx45, but YMMV. I have had no problems with it at all. I do agree that the tires on my FX have always sucked (Goodyear RSA's). I bought snows for the winter.

I also have had an allroad and loved it. Might just buy the new one when the FX45 lease is up.

As for the Lexus - every time I look for a new car I go to the Lexus dealer and walk out without buying anything. For me, those cars have no soul.

Good luck
Looks like we both have an FX and is looking to get a 530xi soon. Agreed with your tires comment. You do need snow tires for winter. As for lexus, their cars are typically cars that go from point A to B without much hassle, but also without much road feel. The FX is more fun to drive. Despite the fact that it doesn't drive like a BMW, it's far from being a "bag of testicles" .
Old 04-06-2006, 08:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by xexyus' post='265720' date='Apr 7 2006, 08:46 AM
Nooo wayyyyy. FX? Over an RX? Come on now, theres a biggggg difference here..
Agree with the bug comment I wanted a car that looks like a car not a bug.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:28 AM
Senior Members

Sat in an FX last night after reading your posts (remembering this will be my wifes transportation) she drives 5 minutes to work (we live downtown), uses it to go shopping (clothes and shoes) and to go out for lunch with friends) do you find to hard to park (because it seems to be so wide) and difficult to see behind you?

She needs quality, comfort, and no hassles ... (actually, I need the no hassles ) driving experience and feel for the road, come in second for her.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi Silver Grey over Black Dakota with Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Comfort, NAV, Logic 7, Sirius, 18" 123s. Current: 2006 Lexus GX 470 2005 SLK 350 No Longer With Us: BMW 330xi; Mini Cooper S; Infiniti FX45; every Audi imaginable; various others

Originally Posted by Canada545' post='265878' date='Apr 7 2006, 09:28 AM
Sat in an FX last night after reading your posts (remembering this will be my wifes transportation) she drives 5 minutes to work (we live downtown), uses it to go shopping (clothes and shoes) and to go out for lunch with friends) do you find to hard to park (because it seems to be so wide) and difficult to see behind you?

She needs quality, comfort, and no hassles ... (actually, I need the no hassles ) driving experience and feel for the road, come in second for her.

I too was concerned about the width of the car and what appears to be a problematic blind spot, but this has not been a problem at all. In fact, I think the car drives "smaller" than it is. It's easy to see front end. Also, mine has the rearview camera. I thought this was a useless gimmick when I first saw it but now would love to have it on every car I own. My wife has also had no problems with maneuvering the car. It's her daily driver.

Best bet is take a good test drive and let your wife park it etc.

Remember, the FX is a pretty high performance car (especially the FX45). I think it rides more like a sports car than your standard soccer mom SUV (no ofense intended to anyone). That said, my wife used to drive a 4Runner and loved it, so there may be some parallel to your wife's experience.

Another thing about the Lexus - my sister had the last generation RX and it had a HORRIBLE turning radius. Bothered her so much that she got rid of it. I don't know if Lexus has fixed this, but check it out before you buy.

Good luck
Old 04-07-2006, 06:44 AM
Senior Members

Good feedback ... will do ... thanks
Old 04-07-2006, 07:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

At the end of the day you can not compare Lexus to Infiniti and even a salesman at Infiniti will tell you so. Lexus dominates the japense luxury market and everyone else copies/competes with them--at least everyone but BMW

I will agree with the statement that Lexus doesnt have "Soul". They are very boring after awhile but you wont find a single problem with them
Old 04-07-2006, 08:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by xexyus' post='265941' date='Apr 7 2006, 11:46 AM
They are very boring after awhile but you wont find a single problem with them
I would respectfully disagree. The statement alone points out a fault. And the idea that a Lexus is defect free is a fallacy. (IMO).
Old 04-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

how about and X3 due to its "smaller" size....???
as to design, performance, style, comfort and quality it is the VW Touareg always and only as to SUV !!!! 3 years with it and still love it like the day one, come on you have the base and technology of the Cayene and the new Q7 here

the FX are great design wise.... the Lex RX SUV is very very bad, design wise and performance wise too.... the new Hyunday SantaFe looks much better
Old 04-07-2006, 03:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by xexyus' post='265941' date='Apr 7 2006, 11:46 AM
At the end of the day you can not compare Lexus to Infiniti and even a salesman at Infiniti will tell you so. Lexus dominates the japense luxury market and everyone else copies/competes with them--at least everyone but BMW

I will agree with the statement that Lexus doesnt have "Soul". They are very boring after awhile but you wont find a single problem with them
I have owned and driven a FX35 for 3 years and the only thing I would agree with you is that Lexus dominates the luxury market. Infiniti is catching up fast however. Comparing with the FX, the RX's inside cabin is more luxurious and after-sales service is better. But in terms of drivability, amount of gadgets and pricing the Infiniti dominates on every aspect. Appearance is subjective. All in all it's a good car and I'll pick that over Lexus RX any day.

Oh, and I don't have a single problem with the FX after 3 years of ownership.

Quick Reply: My wife wants to replace her 4Runner