The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Hyundai Genesis

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Senza007' post='664781' date='Sep 8 2008, 03:41 PM
damn i wanna genesis now. gonna trade mine in...get one of those...put some chrome spinnaz on dat shiznattttttttttt.

NO.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

One thing I noticed by looking closely at the videos, etc was that it was somewhat unfair tests. It out accelerates a Porschebut they test against one of the slowest Porsches (base Boxter). They compare against BMW handling but test against a base 550i without sport package, ARS, or comparable tires. Plus I don't see how they could get .94 Gs when C&D and others only get .83. That is a HUGE difference (a Camry to Corvette difference). Therefore I STILL find the test results suspect. Again, I'll challenge any Genesis owner to a run at VIR against my 550i. I have no doubt I'll run away from it. Of course with a non-professional driver since I'm not.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 550i with SP, Nav, Logic7

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='664932
Plus I don't see how they could get .94 Gs when C&D and others only get .83. That is a HUGE difference (a Camry to Corvette difference). Therefore I STILL find the test results suspect.
I also noticed the discrepancy about the lateral acceleration between C & D and Hyundai's claim. Not sure how they put up that number

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='664932' date='Sep 8 2008, 08:27 PM
Again, I'll challenge any Genesis owner to a run at VIR against my 550i. I have no doubt I'll run away from it. Of course with a non-professional driver since I'm not.
My money's on you
Old 09-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='664932' date='Sep 8 2008, 05:27 PM
One thing I noticed by looking closely at the videos, etc was that it was somewhat unfair tests. It out accelerates a Porschebut they test against one of the slowest Porsches (base Boxter). They compare against BMW handling but test against a base 550i without sport package, ARS, or comparable tires. Plus I don't see how they could get .94 Gs when C&D and others only get .83. That is a HUGE difference (a Camry to Corvette difference). Therefore I STILL find the test results suspect. Again, I'll challenge any Genesis owner to a run at VIR against my 550i. I have no doubt I'll run away from it. Of course with a non-professional driver since I'm not.
In fairness, Richard, the cornering test result is looking at a long 180 degree sweeper which isn't a standard "magazine test" so the numbers are somewhat difficult to put into context. I absolutely agree with you that on more performance oriented tests (such as a skidpad or figure of 8) that the 550 is going to have a clear advantage. One of the other US mags recorded .87 for the Genesis in the more traditional handling tests. Still behind a 550 Sport as we would expect, but that's not a bad number in its own right. Couldn't tell for sure whether the 550 was a sport model or not, but we all agree that the 550 Sport is going to be in a different league. You're also dead on that the Boxster is a base model - a truly wonderful handling car, but obviously not the quickest model from Zuffenhausen! Anyway, I think most of us are on the same page. I'd never take a Genesis over a 550, but I do think its good for the industry when non-traditional players up their game and keep the pressure on the premium brands and industry leaders like BMW to stay at the top of their game.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='663688' date='Sep 6 2008, 10:45 PM
As I have stated before, competition is good. I'd be happy if its mere presence helped lower the cost of competing established cars (like our cars), or if it made the established automakers try harder and innovate more quickly.
I won't trade my 5er for one but if the car really lives up to what they say, then good job Hyundai I agree 100% with above, competition is a VERY good thing
Old 09-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

Originally Posted by baadaaboo' post='663706' date='Sep 7 2008, 11:43 AM
I've done business with korean before, I don't trust "ANY" of their stuff (including cars) anymore. Cunning and lying bastards, therefore the comparison in their website is 90% BS.
Your racist comments don't belong on this forum. Why don't you just take your little self over to some other forums where the other teenagers hang out.

I don't like the Hyundai but I also don't like Chrysler cars as well--nothing has to do with the people who make it. I do have an LG refrigerator and like it if that matters at all.

Grow up baadaaboo.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 550 i, mystic blue, black leather, cold weather package, nav, sport, shades, bags, rear heat, V1 hardwired. 05 F350 TD Crew Cab 04 Range Rover HSE 91 964 C4 Cabrio 07 997 Turbo Cabrio

I'll bet you don't have to shell out $1100 for CA in the Korean wonder!
Old 09-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by baadaaboo' post='663706' date='Sep 6 2008, 08:43 PM
I've done business with korean before, I don't trust "ANY" of their stuff (including cars) anymore. Cunning and lying bastards, therefore the comparison in their website is 90% BS.
Did you really just type that, read that over, and think it's was insightful or even appropriate. That is one of the most idiotic and racist remarks i think I've read on this forum. I'd like to think that our members have a certain level of intelligence, self respect, integrity, and respect for our fellow members here. That comment shows none of that...

BTT: It's a nice car, but I'll stick to e60's and BMW
Old 09-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Senior Members

I think the most "adult" way to handle the isolated racist remark would be to realize that after the first person has sounded off on the negativity of it, the others should shut the hell up and stay on topic. We don't need three people rewording the same opinion and then taking the thread into another direction. He has something against the Koreans. Great. If he just kept it to himself, it would be better, but three people telling him that doesn't do any better than just the first person. In fact, you're all little dipshits for using "race" interchangeably with "nationality"; we can argue semantics with Pangea and all that other crap, but that too won't get us anywhere in better understanding the Hyundai Genesis.

Moving on, I guess my hostility towards the Genesis has gone down a bit. Competition will be good, but unlike Lexus, Hyundai doesn't have a corporation separate from it to drive its sales like Toyota did. People can say what they want, but in the eyes of most people, whether it's right or not, it will just be seen as another "Hyundai", like the Chrysler 300 doesn't make up for the atrocities that are the Crossfire, Sebring, and Pacifica. Fair enough. Hope it does well.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by E60714' post='665121' date='Sep 8 2008, 10:12 PM
I think the most "adult" way to handle the isolated racist remark would be to realize that after the first person has sounded off on the negativity of it, the others should shut the hell up and stay on topic. We don't need three people rewording the same opinion and then taking the thread into another direction. He has something against the Koreans. Great. If he just kept it to himself, it would be better, but three people telling him that doesn't do any better than just the first person. In fact, you're all little dipshits for using "race" interchangeably with "nationality; we can argue semantics with Pangea and all that other crap, but that too won't get us anywhere in better understanding the Hyundai Genesis.

Moving on, I guess my hostility towards the Genesis has gone down a bit. Competition will be good, but unlike Lexus, Hyundai doesn't have a corporation separate from it to drive its sales like Toyota did. People can say what they want, but in the eyes of most people, whether it's right or not, it will just be seen as another "Hyundai", like the Chrysler 300 doesn't make up for the atrocities that are the Crossfire, Sebring, and Pacifica. Fair enough. Hope it does well.
I was with you until you went with that. Because you are truly following your own advice there, how "adult" of you.

You just put yourself in the same boat as the actual poster us 3 "dipshits" we were talking about. A big thanx to you for your first paragraph taking us "somewhere" else.

if none if us spoke up repeatedly for idiotic comments and moronic members we'd probably still have people like RWB on here or vendors like quad_m.

Again,

BTT: it's still not a BMW

and for the rest of the members..

Quick Reply: Hyundai Genesis