The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Hyundai Genesis

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

AMCI is a consulting firm that appears to specialize in automotive marketing and brand launches. Looks like they have many of the major manufacturers as clients (though oddly not BMW, it appears) and they have handled a fair number of high profile auto launches. So - not quite an independent review (Consumer Reports comes closest to this), but I've got no reason to doubt the veracity of the tests. Based on the discussion that they have generated on here, I'd say they are certainly earning their money on this one...
Old 09-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

For Hundai whats next...NASCAR?
Old 09-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='663688' date='Sep 6 2008, 09:45 PM
Huh? What do I have to say? I'm telling you information from a source whose driving pedigree and biases I know inside-and-out. That's at least one step less-removed from the car than the opinions and inferences being drawn here based on Hyundai marketing and automotive press coverage.

I doubt it's a new benchmark, and I doubt any of us will run out and buy one. So far, none of us are saying that.

As I have stated before, competition is good. I'd be happy if its mere presence helped lower the cost of competing established cars (like our cars), or if it made the established automakers try harder and innovate more quickly.

22 years ago, people were saying the same thing about the first Acura and Lexus offerings. They were half the price of the cars that they supposedly couldn't compete against. Fast forward to today... these same cars are only a small percentage cheaper.

They say it competes with the 7 series and the MB S-Class, but did anyone see the ads on NBC during the Bears-Colts game? They compared it to a 530i. Yes. A 530i. A model that's almost two years old. So what do I believe now? Can I look forward to seeing the new 5er accelerated faster than a Geo Prizm, handle better than a Chevy Suburban and get better mileage than an H2? I mean, the Genesis was put against a sports car (Boxster), an executive sedan (the 7 series), and apparently a sport sedan (530i). Why can't it be put in one class and tested against cars of that same class?

I'm not really hating on the car. Fine, it's progress for the the company and competition for the others, but alot of the posts of some members make it seem as if our investments in the 5er seem kinda pointless because there's a car that can do almost everything better. And some of us are threatened and are trying to find out more and when we do, we find that the statistics are a bit skewed.

Is it really competition when it is released at the end of the current generation of the E-Class and the 5er? Won't it then live in shadow of the next generation, which hopefully will be more powerful and just improve all-around? The it becomes, again, a fraction of the luxury for a fraction of the price, and then quickly jumps, yet again, to another car class (cars under 45k or something, I dunno).
Old 09-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2012 535i Msport

I work at a Ford/Hyundai dealership in SoCal , and all you have to do is pop the drunk and take a look at the cheap A$$ subwoofer and wires exposed ..
I drive those things ,and they are not close to 5 or 7 as compared to in the video .. thats my take on this thread ,don't believe the hype ..
thanx ...
Old 09-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by E60714' post='664403' date='Sep 7 2008, 10:41 PM
They say it competes with the 7 series and the MB S-Class, but did anyone see the ads on NBC during the Bears-Colts game? They compared it to a 530i. Yes. A 530i. A model that's almost two years old. So what do I believe now? Can I look forward to seeing the new 5er accelerated faster than a Geo Prizm, handle better than a Chevy Suburban and get better mileage than an H2? I mean, the Genesis was put against a sports car (Boxster), an executive sedan (the 7 series), and apparently a sport sedan (530i). Why can't it be put in one class and tested against cars of that same class?

I'm not really hating on the car. Fine, it's progress for the the company and competition for the others, but alot of the posts of some members make it seem as if our investments in the 5er seem kinda pointless because there's a car that can do almost everything better. And some of us are threatened and are trying to find out more and when we do, we find that the statistics are a bit skewed.
It should be reasonably clear to anyone of even limited intelligence that Hyundai isn't expecting buyers to seriously cross-shop an E60 or an E66 with a Genesis. Their target audience is someone with $40,000 to spend who, rather than buy one of the usual suspects, might be persuaded by the thought that you can get some of the luxury of the 7 series with some of the size/sport/utility of the 5 series for the price of a 3 series. At the same time, they are associating their product with one that the public holds in higher esteem. Trying to convey a message that something is better than you think it is? Like that's never happened in a commercial before...

Also not sure why you feel some of the posts are suggesting that the members' collective investment in their E60's was wasted, or that this particular car is somehow better than their current vehicle. No one post on this thread has suggested anything to this effect. What you are, seeing, however (from posters that have the ability to think laterally as well as literally) is recognition that the game is changing and that some old prejudices might need to be revisited.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Originally Posted by swajames' post='662363' date='Sep 5 2008, 01:01 AM
... More quality product like this, and some of the opinions posted here will have to change...
Some of those opinions were posted by "fanboys," and fanboys never change their opinions; no matter how archaic and/or misguided they are.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='663730' date='Sep 7 2008, 12:53 AM
I suppose -- except that I had to look up what the hell a FleshLight was...
+1
And after having looked it up, I don't think that's something I would even have volunteered to knowing about (or even referenced it at all.) indeed!
Old 09-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, BMW Stainless Steel Pedals, #166 Rims

I think the target audiance is like Saab's or Volvo's. I would have bought this car, but this is what I could afford. It's the poor man luxary car. Hyundai loses what a crazy 50% value or something in the first two years? Anyone who buys in new is going to lose there shirt in the first two years. I give the car credit for what it is, and that is a step in the right direction for a car line that hopes to over take Honda and Toyota in the next few years.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

Originally Posted by baadaaboo' post='663706' date='Sep 7 2008, 12:43 PM
I've done business with korean before, I don't trust "ANY" of their stuff (including cars) anymore. Cunning and lying bastards, therefore the comparison in their website is 90% BS.
And you are a shining example of integrity and honesty? Let's not make ignorant generic statements about a whole race of people that might come across as spiteful rhetoric or something worse. The people that you have done business with do not represent an entire country.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

Originally Posted by swajames' post='664398' date='Sep 8 2008, 02:37 PM
AMCI is a consulting firm that appears to specialize in automotive marketing and brand launches. Looks like they have many of the major manufacturers as clients (though oddly not BMW, it appears) and they have handled a fair number of high profile auto launches. So - not quite an independent review (Consumer Reports comes closest to this), but I've got no reason to doubt the veracity of the tests. Based on the discussion that they have generated on here, I'd say they are certainly earning their money on this one...
+1... AMCI has definitely earned their fees for all the controversy generated on just one forum.

Here is AMCI's website URL.

http://www.amcimarketing.com/home.php

Quick Reply: Hyundai Genesis