The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Hyundai Genesis

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Why buy Hyundai copy when you can buy original?
Old 09-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='663492' date='Sep 6 2008, 03:18 PM
Is that spaghetti?
Toyota (sounds Japanese)- Lexus (sounds better)
Nissan- Infiniti
Honda- Acura
Mazda- Amati (never actually did it but that was the name)

I was always surprised with the Japanese motorcycle companies trying to build and sell Harley Davidson copies and never making it. They had numerous opportunities to buy the Indian Motor Company name, which was Americas oldest still operating MC company. People will buy Indian, they won't buy Honda Valkeries unless they are very price discounted from Harley.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='663489' date='Sep 6 2008, 03:15 PM
Did you watch the videos and check out the site? V6? That Genesis has a 375 hp V8 in it.

Hyundai raced the Genesis from 0 to 60 against the 750i and Porsche Boxster and the Genesis won

Where's Mercedes?
Did you see the 70 to 0 braking against the Mercedes E550 and BMW 550, the Genesis won thats where Mercedes is.

Did 180 flat cornering which simulates freeway off / on ramps against the Mercedes E550 and BMW 550i, the Genesis won.
I still don't trust the Hyundai web site as compared to a car mag. They claim the Genesis doesn't have near the handling of a BMW (base 528 or 550i) but does equal/surpase the Avalon (not much of an accomplishment IMHO). Also braking is good per C&D (170 ft from 60) but IIRC, the 550i is around 160ft. Its entirely possible, Hyundai equiped the Genesis with agressive Z rated tires and compared that to a base 550i. It might have a chance then but I doubt it.

Until one passes me on track or hangs with me on the TOD, I'll not believe it's a better sports sedan no matter what Hyundai might say.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='663581' date='Sep 6 2008, 06:50 PM
I still don't trust the Hyundai web site as compared to a car mag. They claim the Genesis doesn't have near the handling of a BMW (base 528 or 550i) but does equal/surpase the Avalon (not much of an accomplishment IMHO). Also braking is good per C&D (170 ft from 60) but IIRC, the 550i is around 160ft. Its entirely possible, Hyundai equiped the Genesis with agressive Z rated tires and compared that to a base 550i. It might have a chance then but I doubt it.

Until one passes me on track or hangs with me on the TOD, I'll not believe it's a better sports sedan no matter what Hyundai might say.

Ok, I'll state it again because it's easy to skim over and lose the information in all the noise.

A friend of mine drove the V6 and V8 back to back with the S550. He said it blew the Merc away - especially in the handling department. He has owned an M3, and he currently owns a Lotus Elise, so he knows what handling is supposed to be in order to be considered "good".

The car is supposed to be in the 7 series and S class segment.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='663583' date='Sep 6 2008, 05:55 PM
Ok, I'll state it again because it's easy to skim over and lose the information in all the noise.

A friend of mine drove the V6 and V8 back to back with the S550. He said it blew the Merc away - especially in the handling department. He has owned an M3, and he currently owns a Lotus Elise, so he knows what handling is supposed to be in order to be considered "good".

The car is supposed to be in the 7 series and S class segment.

Your friend drove it, but what do you have to say? The car isn't out yet so we can only speculate if we haven't had the honor of driving the Genesis. Should we sell our current cars and go for the Genesis assuming that's it is now the benchmark for all executive sedans? I know European luxury brands are a bit pricey, but are you convinced that you aren't missing out on something by buying a Genesis that you won't get in an S-Class or a 7-series? There's a reason these cars cost more, or there has to be a catch for getting the same thing for half the price. What is the catch?
Old 09-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by E60714' post='663654' date='Sep 6 2008, 08:59 PM
Your friend drove it, but what do you have to say? The car isn't out yet so we can only speculate if we haven't had the honor of driving the Genesis. Should we sell our current cars and go for the Genesis assuming that's it is now the benchmark for all executive sedans? I know European luxury brands are a bit pricey, but are you convinced that you aren't missing out on something by buying a Genesis that you won't get in an S-Class or a 7-series? There's a reason these cars cost more, or there has to be a catch for getting the same thing for half the price. What is the catch?

Huh? What do I have to say? I'm telling you information from a source whose driving pedigree and biases I know inside-and-out. That's at least one step less-removed from the car than the opinions and inferences being drawn here based on Hyundai marketing and automotive press coverage.

I doubt it's a new benchmark, and I doubt any of us will run out and buy one. So far, none of us are saying that.

As I have stated before, competition is good. I'd be happy if its mere presence helped lower the cost of competing established cars (like our cars), or if it made the established automakers try harder and innovate more quickly.

22 years ago, people were saying the same thing about the first Acura and Lexus offerings. They were half the price of the cars that they supposedly couldn't compete against. Fast forward to today... these same cars are only a small percentage cheaper.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='663379' date='Sep 6 2008, 11:27 AM
I hear Rudy is thinking about trading his 550 for one !!
Only if I can find a Hyundai forum equivalent to this one...

(Does the Genesis have SMG? )
Old 09-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='663688' date='Sep 6 2008, 07:45 PM
Huh? What do I have to say? I'm telling you information from a source whose driving pedigree and biases I know inside-and-out. That's at least one step less-removed from the car than the opinions and inferences being drawn here based on Hyundai marketing and automotive press coverage.

I doubt it's a new benchmark, and I doubt any of us will run out and buy one. So far, none of us are saying that.

As I have stated before, competition is good. I'd be happy if its mere presence helped lower the cost of competing established cars (like our cars), or if it made the established automakers try harder and innovate more quickly.
Dead on. I was about to post something similar. No one here is likely to go out and get one, but we should recognize progress and give credit where it is due. As you say, all of of us ultimately benefit from better competition (both direct and indirect) as that's the only thing driving continued innovation and forcing manufacturers to offer greater value.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='663690' date='Sep 6 2008, 07:50 PM

It has the SAT equivalent that'll do for you.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='663690' date='Sep 6 2008, 10:50 PM
Only if I can find a Hyundai forum equivalent to this one...

No, but the V8 has the ZF 6HP26... the same 6 speed auto used in:

5 Series, 6 Series, 7 Series, X5
A8, S6
S-type
Various Jags, Rovers, Bentleys

Quick Reply: Hyundai Genesis