The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Hyundai Genesis

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 01:56 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

Originally Posted by slickE60' post='662936' date='Sep 6 2008, 06:53 AM
It's still a Hyundai, the poor man's car...
Yes... it's a Hyundai, but does that make it a bad car? Have you driven one? I will shoot down a bad car (be it German, Japanese, American or Korean) as fast as the next guy, but the Genesis isn't a bad car. Drive one before you pass judgment on it.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

Originally Posted by swajames' post='662832' date='Sep 6 2008, 04:53 AM
I strongly suspect that their strategy, quite correctly, is the polar opposite. The Genesis is intended to help grow the reputation of the entire brand. Their aggressive comparisons with established high and higher end brands (Porsche, BMW, Lexus etc) clearly show that this is the intent of their marketing strategy (and I believe it to be the correct approach). Quite simply, if they were to cut this car loose and use it to launch a new nameplate it would do a lot less for the existing Hyundai brand.
'swajames', you hit on the nail. I have a friend who does marketing for Hyundai globally and what you said is loosely in align with what he said about what Hyundai has in mind for the Genesis and the Genesis Coupe.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Members

Lots of new luxury attempts have claimed better performance, features and styling, but have generally failed to make a dent in the market. The only such attempt to do so that succeeded recently was Lexus.

I would say Infiniti, Acura, Phaeton have all failed to make a dent into 5/7 series territory. Although Genesis might be a very good car, it takes more than a good car to become a player.

I haven't driven one yet, so i'll hold judgment on the car itself.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by omszz' post='662950' date='Sep 5 2008, 06:05 PM
Lots of new luxury attempts have claimed better performance, features and styling, but have generally failed to make a dent in the market. The only such attempt to do so that succeeded recently was Lexus.

I would say Infiniti, Acura, Phaeton have all failed to make a dent into 5/7 series territory. Although Genesis might be a very good car, it takes more than a good car to become a player.

I haven't driven one yet, so i'll hold judgment on the car itself.

I'd be happy if it drives the cost of other cars down. It need only be good to serve that purpose - who cares if any of us will ever buy it? Competition is good. If anything, there's too much parity with cost, perceived quality, and prestige among the Germans and the luxury Japanese. There's a small percentage of folks who hold out for German and German alone, but the lions share is up for grabs.

It'll be good to have a new "other" nipping at the established luxury-sport car makers' heels.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by swajames' post='662363' date='Sep 5 2008, 01:01 AM
That's impressive. 0.94G cornering from a full-size sedan which also has the ability to out-accelerate a 750i is an amazing result. Hyundai may not yet have the brand it wants or as much badge cachet as it wants, but neither did Lexus many moons ago. Discount these guys at your peril, my friends. Over time, Hyundai will properly transition into the near luxury category. More quality product like this, and some of the opinions posted here will have to change...
Where in the H did they get .94 corning? I would not trust a Hyundai test, only an independent one.

The latest C&D has a test. 0-60 in 6.0 seconds. A 550i is > 1 second faster. A 750i should do mid 5s. It's not much faster than a base 528i which is at mid 6s. BTW, they mention they could not get the auto to shift anywhere close to the HP peak.
Also, C&D got a mere .83 Gs handling and 170ft 70-0 braking with the Genesis and mentioned a floaty ride and numb stearing. I GUARANTEE my 550i could spank it around a road course such as VIR.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='663000' date='Sep 5 2008, 04:26 PM
Where in the H did they get .94 corning? I would not trust a Hyundai test, only an independent one.

The latest C&D has a test. 0-60 in 6.0 seconds. A 550i is > 1 second faster. A 750i should do mid 5s. It's not much faster than a base 528i which is at mid 6s. BTW, they mention they could not get the auto to shift anywhere close to the HP peak.
Also, C&D got a mere .83 Gs handling and 170ft 70-0 braking with the Genesis and mentioned a floaty ride and numb stearing. I GUARANTEE my 550i could spank it around a road course such as VIR.
Watch the videos and make your own mind up. Didn't look to me like the 750i driver was sandbagging on the acceleration runs, and the car can clearly take a corner. Compared to the 375 hp V8 Genesis, the current E65/E66 750i is down on power and about 400lbs heavier - and both cars have the same ZF transmission.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

That Hyundai is one sharp car, could always badge it with a blue and white flag = only kding..
Old 09-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I'm actually looking forward to test driving one when it arrives at the dealer. I want to test out its sound system!

Which car should I walk into the dealer with? Think they'll treat me better with the E60 or the 987?
Old 09-05-2008, 11:13 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='662940' date='Sep 5 2008, 05:56 PM
Yes... it's a Hyundai, but does that make it a bad car? Have you driven one? I will shoot down a bad car (be it German, Japanese, American or Korean) as fast as the next guy, but the Genesis isn't a bad car. Drive one before you pass judgment on it.
i agree since I actually drove one and it is not that bad at all. You will be suprised. i mean it is not that dynamic like bmw has but hey it is better than cheap american cars. It is much cheaper but good quality than what you think. So if your wife wants big car with alots of features, get her that by saving money and put money that you save on bimmer.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:28 AM
Senior Members

Gee, it looks like crap, faces two cars from two different types and still isn't in the right one, and it's from a Hyundai website.

Is this Genesis really trying to compete with the full-fledge executive sedans? Where's the LS460? Or the MB? And since when have the aforementioned companies dropped V6's into these cars? Not recently at least. I think a 5er would be able to take on the Genesis and they seem to be in the same class. But it still has an awkward shape....like those shoes fat women wear. Yes. It really did remind me of that. Who designed that?

Quick Reply: Hyundai Genesis