The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Hyundai Genesis

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by sirch' post='664666' date='Sep 8 2008, 10:46 AM
I think the target audiance is like Saab's or Volvo's. I would have bought this car, but this is what I could afford. It's the poor man luxary car. Hyundai loses what a crazy 50% value or something in the first two years? Anyone who buys in new is going to lose there shirt in the first two years. I give the car credit for what it is, and that is a step in the right direction for a car line that hopes to over take Honda and Toyota in the next few years.
The rather gaping hole in your argument is that Automotive Lease Guide (who provide data on residuals to the auto industry) are saying that residuals on this particular car are predicted to be strong.

From Motor Trend

"Still, prospective Lexus buyers aren't apt to suddenly cross-shop the Genesis, although they should, given its near-identical driving experience and projected three-year residual value, which, according to Automotive Lease Guide, ranks above that of the BMW 550i, Infiniti M45, Lexus GS 460, and Mercedes E550."
Old 09-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N54

I own a 1999 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 since day 1 and it now has 145k miles on it. I now also own the 530i below. The 530i cost me $28k and it will be worth somthing near that in the future.

I bough the Hyundai for around $21k after intrest. Today the Michelin's on the wheels are worth more than the car itself.

I'd don't think I'd buy another Hyundai again... but some things about the car SUCK. 1. Resale 2. Paint is the thinnest, single layer I've ever seen on any car in my life. The paint is coming off in places. For those 2 reasons alone.. I will never buy another Hyundai again... but I need a front wheel drive car in the snow....so it will sit on the street.

Doesn't matter how nice you dress that car up... with crappy paint the car is crap after a few years. And braking better than a BMW?!?! My car had 25 brake jobs in it's History so far. The brake are TOO small for such a big car. Poor design.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

Originally Posted by brianstash' post='664725' date='Sep 9 2008, 04:01 AM
I own a 1999 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 since day 1 and it now has 145k miles on it. I now also own the 530i below. The 530i cost me $28k and it will be worth somthing near that in the future.

I bough the Hyundai for around $21k after intrest. Today the Michelin's on the wheels are worth more than the car itself.

I'd don't think I'd buy another Hyundai again... but some things about the car SUCK. 1. Resale 2. Paint is the thinnest, single layer I've ever seen on any car in my life. The paint is coming off in places. For those 2 reasons alone.. I will never buy another Hyundai again... but I need a front wheel drive car in the snow....so it will sit on the street.

Doesn't matter how nice you dress that car up... with crappy paint the car is crap after a few years. And braking better than a BMW?!?! My car had 25 brake jobs in it's History so far. The brake are TOO small for such a big car. Poor design.
I'm not a Hyundai fan myself, but your Hyundai Sonata is from 1999. It is now 9 years on... Hyundai as a company has grown and their products have developed. Yes the Hyundai you own now has created your strong displeasure for the brand. I have a Hyundai Genesis as a company car here in Korea and in all honesty, I wasn't thrilled when the company got it for me. Although it isn't a great car, nor is it as dynamic as a BMW, but it is a good car.... Hyundai has come a long way since your 1999 Sonata GLS V6~
Old 09-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='664736' date='Sep 8 2008, 03:08 PM
I'm not a Hyundai fan myself, but your Hyundai Sonata is from 1999. It is now 9 years on... Hyundai as a company has grown and their products have developed. Yes the Hyundai you own now has created your strong displeasure for the brand. I have a Hyundai Genesis as a company car here in Korea and in all honesty, I wasn't thrilled when the company got it for me. Although it isn't a great car, nor is it as dynamic as a BMW, but it is a good car.... Hyundai has come a long way since your 1999 Sonata GLS V6~
true true... but if you remember in 1999 the auto press said that was the year Hyundai went over the hump in terms of quality. Look at the 99 vs. the 98... big difference. And I totally agree the 99 is heads and above the 98. I just wanted to state my issue with resale and paint. Other than that my car still looks nearly brand new.... oh and 5 window regulators on each front side... lol

I think the 99-01 Sonata's look better than any other Sonata they have put out since. It's a Jaguar in back and a Mercedes in front. I have black with Tan leather.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

Originally Posted by brianstash' post='664768' date='Sep 9 2008, 04:26 AM
true true... but if you remember in 1999 the auto press said that was the year Hyundai went over the hump in terms of quality. Look at the 99 vs. the 98... big difference. And I totally agree the 99 is heads and above the 98. I just wanted to state my issue with resale and paint. Other than that my car still looks nearly brand new.... oh and 5 window regulators on each front side... lol

I think the 99-01 Sonata's look better than any other Sonata they have put out since. It's a Jaguar in back and a Mercedes in front. I have black with Tan leather.
In the U.S., Hyundai started off with a car called the Excel. Canada got 2 vehicles that barely passed as motor cars called the 'Pony' and the 'Stellar'. I remember that a friend of mine actually bought a Pony even after some serious ribbing from me. Neighborhood kids on Huffy bikes were faster than my friend in his Pony! And when he tried to trade it in for Civic, the dealer asked that my friend pay them to scrap it!

When you get the chance, go and test drive the V8 version of the Genesis. It's no BMW, but you'll be pleasantly surprised at what the 'Pony' and 'Stellar' have become!
Old 09-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Originally Posted by sirch' post='664666' date='Sep 8 2008, 01:46 PM
... Anyone who buys in new is going to lose there shirt in the first two years. ...
And that differs from 99.999% of every other make/model car on the market (including BMW) how?
Old 09-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by brianstash' post='664725' date='Sep 8 2008, 12:01 PM
2. Paint is the thinnest, single layer I've ever seen on any car in my life.

That was 9 years ago. The video of AMCI checking out the paint job on the Genesis said it was VERY well done. Nice and thick and smooth like glass. I think Times have changed... Its sad how people still draw back on experiences from 10+ years ago.

There are so many that I know who said they wont get a BMW because of their electrical problems and start quoting back to late 80s and early 90s

My dad never liked Audi because he said their reliability was crap because of the early 80s. BUT he finally changed his mind after my sister got a used A4 now he wants a S5.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW 525I/TITANIUM SILVER METALLIC/GREY LEATHER INTERIOR/EURO RED REFLECTORS/20% TINT/EURO STICKER/BMW CCA STICKER

damn i wanna genesis now. gonna trade mine in...get one of those...put some chrome spinnaz on dat shiznattttttttttt.

NO.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 550i with SP, Nav, Logic7

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='664779' date='Sep 8 2008, 03:41 PM
That was 9 years ago. The video of AMCI checking out the paint job on the Genesis said it was VERY well done. Nice and thick and smooth like glass. I think Times have changed... Its sad how people still draw back on experiences from 10+ years ago.

There are so many that I know who said they wont get a BMW because of their electrical problems and start quoting back to late 80s and early 90s

My dad never liked Audi because he said their reliability was crap because of the early 80s. BUT he finally changed his mind after my sister got a used A4 now he wants a S5.
Unfortunately, car business is all about perception. It takes years to change that.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Ford F-250 Harley Davidson Edition 6.4L OHV Power Stroke Turbo Diesel V8 (350hp/650lbft) Blue Flame Package Dual Alternators Touch Screen Navigation + DVD Player Uplifter Switches Trailer Brake Controller Traction Control Rapid Heat Supplemental Cab Heater Rear View Camera Power Slide Moonroof

Originally Posted by baadaaboo' post='663706
And you are a shining example of integrity and honesty? Let's not make ignorant generic statements about a whole race of people that might come across as spiteful rhetoric or something worse. The people that you have done business with do not represent an entire country.
+1

Quick Reply: Hyundai Genesis