The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Any Corvette ZR-1 Fans?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by poleposition' post='512812' date='Jan 2 2008, 12:46 PM
I'd tend to think that there are many people MUCH smarter than you or I who would disagree with this statement. This new M3 will most likely go down as one of the best cars money can buy. There are lines around the block of every dealership to see one let alone buy one. I think you'll be sorry you put this in print. Just my opinion though. What do I know???
Define SMART

Heck yeah many people will probably disagree with me.... this is a BMW board so I can expect it. Apparently, I may have offended some so I'll be politically correct and apologize. But I'm not sorry for putting this post in print, not now or ever.

I'm not knocking the new M3, but I will eagerly start a debate with anyone who thinks that BMW's concept of a high performance V8 is better than GM. Like I said before, V8's are AMERICAN territory. If you haven't figured it out I'm a really big American V8 fan...CHEVY in particular. The only reason why people are "lining up around the block to get a new M3" is because its NEW and EVERYONE wants to be the first on the block to have one. Next year people will be lining up at Chevy dealerships to get the new Camaro because...........

I strongly believe that V-8's are built for low rpm torque and there are many others that work on and drive cars with these engines who will agree. So why build a V8 that has to get wound up to high rpms to achieve the same thing? Brand recognition?? To me, V type engine blocks & internals + high rpms = trouble. Somebody convince me. Better yet, let me know if an M3 can beat a Corvette racing uphill where you can really appreciate torque. Until then you won't see me in any line to get an M3.

Peace
Old 01-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='512858' date='Jan 2 2008, 03:21 PM
So if we were to compare BMW's new 4.4 liter TT (408 hp/4.4= 92.72) with GM"s 6.2 liter sc (620 hp/6.2=100), BMW's new TT v8 is still inferior?
In terms of efficiency: No - Already been posted on this thread
In terms of power: Either add two turbos to a Corvette or subtract them from the BMW and figure out the obvious - YES
Old 01-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by poleposition' post='512812' date='Jan 2 2008, 10:46 AM
I'd tend to think that there are many people MUCH smarter than you or I who would disagree with this statement. This new M3 will most likely go down as one of the best cars money can buy. There are lines around the block of every dealership to see one let alone buy one. I think you'll be sorry you put this in print. Just my opinion though. What do I know???
I am a big fan of the AMG 6.2 lt. power plants, they have the same philosphy the LS7 uses. My ideal car would be the driving dynamics of the M3 with the 6.2 AMG or LS7.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pukka' post='512862' date='Jan 2 2008, 03:34 PM
I strongly believe that V-8's are built for low rpm torque and there are many others that work on and drive cars with these engines who will agree. So why build a V8 that has to get wound up to high rpms to achieve the same thing? Brand recognition?? Somebody convince me.

I have a simple response to your thoughts. It's a very small boutique sport that not too many people have heard of. It's called Formula1. Google it. I hear they have these really sick high revving V8 engines that go really fast. Even up a hill.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by poleposition' post='512867' date='Jan 2 2008, 01:49 PM
I have a simple response to your thoughts. It's a very small boutique sport that not too many people have heard of. It's called Formula1. Google it. I hear they have these really sick high revving V8 engines that go really fast. Even up a hill.
The only reason that F1 cars and some race cars use small, high reving engines is because the rules mandate a displacement limit.

I am not for one or the other, its a matter of person choice.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by poleposition' post='512867' date='Jan 2 2008, 03:49 PM
I've heard of of F-1.....Been living in Germany for quite some time now

Formula One, like NASCAR and INDY Car racing, is restricted to a certain engine displacement (size). They compensate by using sick high revving engines with even sicker compression ratios to get the power they do for closed circuit RACING. And they never, never use the same engine for more than one race.

The M3 and Corvette are street cars and are have no such size restrictions. You are bringing an apple to an orange fight
Old 01-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pukka' post='512878' date='Jan 2 2008, 04:05 PM
I've heard of of F-1.....Been living in Germany for quite some time now

Formula One, like NASCAR and INDY Car racing, is restricted to a certain engine displacement (size). They compensate by using sick high revving engines with even sicker compression ratios to get the power they do for closed circuit RACING. And they never, never use the same engine for more than one race.

The M3 and Corvette are street cars and are have no such size restrictions. You are bringing an apple to an orange fight

Check your facts. F1 engines are used for more than 1 race. Actually, they're used for 2 race weekends which includes practice and qualifying. Secondly, I love the Corvette, the new camaro and the V8's that chevy produces. Always have. Im simply challenging your specific comments on high revving V8 engines and how senseless they are and how they should only be low revving and built for low end torque. This is what I disagree with you on. I too feel that 1 isnt better than the other. They are different, thats all. Nice sparring though.

All the best
Old 01-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Senior Members

I loved that Red 90ish ZR-1 LT based motor with dual over head cams and 32 valves, rectangle tailights
Old 01-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by poleposition' post='512890' date='Jan 2 2008, 03:20 PM
Check your facts. F1 engines are used for more than 1 race. Actually, they're used for 2 race weekends which includes practice and qualifying. Secondly, I love the Corvette, the new camaro and the V8's that chevy produces. Always have. Im simply challenging your specific comments on high revving V8 engines and how senseless they are and how they should only be low revving and built for low end torque. This is what I disagree with you on. I too feel that 1 isnt better than the other. They are different, thats all. Nice sparring though.

All the best
I'm not taking any side since I am quite ignorance of engine design and philosophy. From an empirical observation, the US auto have a long tradition of v8 for the mass consumer. Tradition comes experience, and I think Corvette engineers are top of their game.

Let's see how this new ZR-1 will perform against the Ferraris, Porsches, BMW, MB, etc. One may speak ill of Corvette's other shortcomings, i.e., interior quality, etc, but I don't think anyone, even Porsche and Ferrari owners, can have any negative comments on the engineering quality placed on the Corvette's engine and other performance related parts . . . cuz it kicks ass for less money.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='513315' date='Jan 3 2008, 11:17 AM
I'm not taking any side since I am quite ignorance of engine design and philosophy. From an empirical observation, the US auto have a long tradition of v8 for the mass consumer. Tradition comes experience, and I think Corvette engineers are top of their game.

Let's see how this new ZR-1 will perform against the Ferraris, Porsches, BMW, MB, etc. One may speak ill of Corvette's other shortcomings, i.e., interior quality, etc, but I don't think anyone, even Porsche and Ferrari owners, can have any negative comments on the engineering quality placed on the Corvette's engine and other performance related parts . . . cuz it kicks ass for less money.

So true, I have been a V8 fan all of my life and have only ever owned one other engine (V6) until my 535 (which, I still can't believe is an I6 - amazing power and super smooth engine). My current V8 is a 500hp 5.4 liter SC dual overhead valve monster - housed in a GT500 convertible...if Ford would come up with a reasonably affordable platform that had great handling out of the box they would have a great selling car. They do have the Ford GT which handles very well - but very expensive! I'm hoping that the new Camaro and Challenger will have better suspension components/handling forcing Ford to do the same with the 2010 Mustang platform....competition is a very good thing!!

Quick Reply: Any Corvette ZR-1 Fans?