Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Sony Ericsson P990i

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 12:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LCI 520d, business navigation --> P990i works just fine, including phonebook.

Although I like the P990i it's not better than the P910i in all areas. I think the battery life is poorer and it's less stable. I won;t keep it as long as my P900 and P910i phones which were ahead of their time. I think the P990i is not.
Attached Thumbnails Sony Ericsson P990i-bmw5_p990i_ok.jpg  
Old 06-07-2007, 02:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The P910i works with the BMW but, depending on the BMW spec, does not always sync with the Phone Book, which is the case with my car. Again, depending on the BMW spec, the P990i sometimes work, complete with Phone Book sync, but in some cases it will not even connect. This is happening with my car, where it pairs but does not connect. This tells me that it is BMW that is at fault and not SE.

I have to say I am getting increasingly irritated with this ongoing saga with BMW's Bluetooth. Hence, my question is, how do we put pressure on BMW to fix this.

They cannot sell an expensive option and then hide behind compatibility charts that only support out of date phones or the more basic ones. If the P990i works with 100% functionality in a BMW with a certain spec, then they are obviously supporting the required Bluetooth profiles to be compatible with the SE. The fact that it does not work with other specs suggests that BMW's Bluetooth software module breaks in certain areas when certain other modules within the BMW operating software are activated. E.g Seems to work with Business Navingation, but not with Professional Navigation (The actual failure scenario is probably more convoluted than that, but you get my point.)

IMHO, this is not about compatibility between the phone and BMW, but compatibility between the different software modules in BMW's software and therefore raises a question about BMW's internal processes for Software Testing and Quality Control!

Any suggestions?